"Pointless" Songs in Musicals

mizzie Profile Photo
mizzie
#0"Pointless" Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/10/04 at 5:53pm

Have you ever seen a musical that had a certain song in it that had no real reason for being there? A song that didn't really advance the plot or do anything that really annoyed you? For me it would be "Cooties" from Hairspray....I adore the song and think it's hilarious, but it doesn't really seem to do anything for the musical.

Yankeefan007
#1re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/10/04 at 5:54pm

in old bavaria.....the producers

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#2re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/10/04 at 5:56pm

"Motherhood" in HELLO, DOLLY!

Cast sings it while ducking each other (moving under tables, into closets, etc.) at a hat shop.

When song is complete, everyone is where they were before and a good five minutes of stage time has been wasted. :)

"I say YOU'RE the CUTEST one. No, I say YOU'RE the CUTEST One. And we go on like that from dawn to three."

TheAudrey3 Profile Photo
TheAudrey3
#3re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/10/04 at 6:11pm

"Something Bad" really doesn't do anything for me. At all. I suppose it talks about the whole animal thing, but that could have been done just as well in a dialogue.

"It does what a musical's supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue."

lovettespies Profile Photo
lovettespies
#4re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/10/04 at 6:15pm

I love "Too Damn Hot" form Kiss me Kate, but why is it there? The answer is that there IS no reason, it's just a good song. Of course, if a production does a really bad job of the song, as I have seen, it can leave the audience confused.

Keep the peace, take care of each other, and may you find your promised land. -TJST

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#5re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/10/04 at 6:19pm

Hi lovett... :)

I think it's there because back in the 1940s and 1950s, many musicals used the Act II opening number to eliminate the tension that existed at the end of Act I. (In the case of KISS ME, KATE, Fred "whacking" Lili.)

Another example of an Act II opener that does that is "This Was a Real Nice Clambake" from CAROUSEL. (Act I ends with Billy plotting to steal.) :)

"I say YOU'RE the CUTEST one. No, I say YOU'RE the CUTEST One. And we go on like that from dawn to three."

mizzie Profile Photo
mizzie
#6re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/10/04 at 6:24pm

I agree with "In Old Bavaria" completely.

wildparty20 Profile Photo
wildparty20
#7re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/10/04 at 7:09pm

There are a couple in DAMN YANKEES... "Near To You" slows the show and is NOT needed. I think that "Who's Got The Pain" really isn't needed either. It's a fun number, but seriously is there a point?

From the evil she done Lord Set her free, Set her free, Set me free Don't let my sorrow Make evil of me

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#8re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/10/04 at 7:27pm

Hi WildParty... :)

I think of "Who's Got The Pain?" in DAMN YANKEES was to give Bob Fossee a chance to do some stunning Mambo Cheoreography! :)

lostwallflower Profile Photo
lostwallflower
#9re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/10/04 at 7:29pm

Anyone see the short lived A Class Act? They have a song in it called Charm Song. "A charm song is the southern belle of musicals. It don't have to do a lick of work, it just has to make the audience smile..."

"I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber. Please don't take me to the pickle farm."- Brak

musicalmjk Profile Photo
musicalmjk
#10re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/10/04 at 7:32pm

shipoopi from Music Man

need to defrag my brain.

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#11re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/10/04 at 7:34pm

Oh musical... :)

"Shipoopi" is just a fun dance number--what's wrong with that? :)

moonys_autumn
#12re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/10/04 at 7:52pm

"Cooties" does acually in a way have a point, it's a song that's just Amber, ya know? It just shows her character in a fun little song.

If only you could know the things I long to say... if only I could tell you what I'm dieing to convey...

ponine24601
#13re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/10/04 at 7:53pm

another dead cow- bat boy. it just confuses me.

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

Jon
#14re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/10/04 at 7:54pm

"Be Like the Bluebird" in ANYTHING GOES. It would have been nice if Moonface had a solo that actually had something to do with his character (and was actually funny). This song sounds like Cole Porter dug something out of the bottom of a trunk.

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#15re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/10/04 at 7:56pm

Be Like the Bluebird? Wow, I think I had erased that from my memory.

I like Another Dead Cow. It's not completely pointless (it introduces the characters in the town), and what score would be complete without a good ol' country tune? re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals

PleaseChangeMe
#16re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals

That's stretching it. Hairspray is full of pointless songs, or songs that don't add a thing to the plot.

As for pointless songs, I found 1943 from Caroline, or Change...not pointless, but a little late in the plot. Just seems out of place.

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#17re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals

Jon,

He DID. "Be Like The Bluebird" is NOT part of the original ANYTHING GOES score.

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#18re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/10/04 at 8:02pm

"As for pointless songs, I found 1943 from Caroline, or Change...not pointless, but a little late in the plot. Just seems out of place."

That's what I thought at first. Now I think that it's at the place where it is because it's Christmas time, and the previous song was Santa Comin' Caroline. Christmas is really a time for family, and the holidays are reminding her that she is raising three kids on her own, one in Vietnam, and no husband. Not to mention that it's an amazing song.

musicalmjk Profile Photo
musicalmjk
#19re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/10/04 at 8:09pm

whats wrong with it. it doesnt move the show foward, and when its put in the movie its always placed towards the end and its the Act 2 opening but i was Marcellus Washburn twice in the same year besides it being a big dance number the big musical number in the show is Marian the Libraian. i just feel that its better to start off the second act with a big number which refers back to Act 1 in any sort of way

need to defrag my brain.

mizzie Profile Photo
mizzie
#20re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/11/04 at 11:04am

"Who's Got the Pain" doesn't make sense....it's not even a song about Joe Hardy....it bugs me too.

lovettespies Profile Photo
lovettespies
#21re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/11/04 at 11:08am

I like "who's go the Pain" but it could definitely be cut, since it doesn't add anything to the plot and it's not an amazing song anyway. It's enjoyable, but forgetable too.

Keep the peace, take care of each other, and may you find your promised land. -TJST

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#22re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/11/04 at 11:31am

"Be Like The Bluebird" is indeed in the original 1933 score of Anything Goes. And it's only pointless if your Moonface Martin doesn't have a vaudevillian's bag of tricks with which to deliver the song and make it funny. It derives its humor from the incongruity of the comically hard-edged gangster singing a delicate little ditty, which I believe is a form of schottische. And I have to say, I've never seen it NOT work in a production.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

adamized88 Profile Photo
adamized88
#23re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/11/04 at 11:32am

i second "something bad" - dr. dillamond was an awesome character in the book but they totally destroyed him the play

"topsy turvy" in fiddler is ok, but i think the show was fine without it

"Nothing is an accident, We are free to have it all, We are what we want to be, It's in ourselves to rise or fall!!" - "Fortune Favors the Brave" from Aida - the love that never died

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#24re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
Posted: 10/11/04 at 12:01pm

I dont know if you knew, Adamized, but Topsy-Turvy replaced a funny song, "The Rumor" in the OBC of Fiddler.

Edit: Thanks, magruder, I definitely thought it was in the movie. OH well. God, I NEED to play Yente some day. It's a Jewish character actress's dream!

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Updated On: 10/11/04 at 12:01 PM