pixeltracker

Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January- Page 2

Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#25re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 3:02pm

Harvey was a good Edna, but this is a joke. Emotionally and vocally, he's not right for the role. At all. At least, I don't think he is.

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#26re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 3:08pm

I doubt Fierstein will be playing this for laughs. He is fully capable of doing this role as an actor...but NOT as a singer. How on earth do they think he's going to sing this music and make it something an audience will listen to for 2 hrs?

"Life is a lesson in humility"

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#27re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 3:14pm

By sheer force of will.

My senior year of college, Harvey came and performed his one-person show (I think it was called THIS ISN'T GOING TO BE PRETTY). He sang quite a bit in it. Now...he's no Domingo...but something about him and his absolute commitment and sheer force of personality not only made it palatable, but it was thrilling and emotionally fulfilling.

I'm very excited to see him in this!

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

MargoChanning
#28re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 3:20pm

I have the CD for THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE PRETTY. Very funny.

I personally can't wait to see his Tevye -- he's a great actor and comedian and will bring some of the laughs back to the show that Molina lost, but also be dramatically credible and poignant in the serious scenes. I had no interest in seeing this revival with Molina, but I'll definitely go to see Harvey do it.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 11/10/04 at 03:20 PM

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#29re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 3:30pm

I am happy for him. Although the role does require great singing ability, he is a truly dedicated performer (missing only 1/2 of a performance as Edna, not sure if he had a vacation) and he enjoys what he is doing. re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#30re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 3:43pm

If you do remember everyone hated Molina for his singing but loved his acting, same with Mostel. Tevye is not a singing role with a little acting, it is an acting role with a little singing.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#31re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 3:43pm

I too love Harvey but this role is SO wrong for him. Makes me think of the Henry Goodman debacle over at the St James...very talented actor but SO wrong for that role.

I, for one, do not think I could go sit through 2 hrs of Harvey's voice singing that beautiful score.

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
MargoChanning
#33re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 3:45pm

Great singing ability? Last I checked, Molina is no singer and can do little better than carry a tune (he'd never sung before doing this role, did he?). Same is true of several Tevyes during the original run during the '60s and 70s -- several were primarily actors, who also sang a little bit. Fierstein will be fine.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Chrysanthemum62001
#34re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 3:45pm

I just don't understand this.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

millie_dillmount
#35re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 3:49pm

I think so.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#36re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 3:56pm

I feel so sorry for people who are held prisoner by their notions of gender roles that they just can't see how this is a thrilling bit of casting.

Could it go wrong? Sure...anything could go wrong.

And it also kills me how everyone thinks this role needs great singing ability. Like it's Rigoletto.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#37re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 3:58pm

Oh, he'll act it just fine.

But his croaking of the score will be unendurable.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#38re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 4:05pm

All of you people who are convinced that singing is so important obviously did not see Tyne Daly's tour-de-force, critically and publically-lauded, Tony-winning Rose. Her singing voice was flat, dimensionless, and unpleasant. Acting is more important - it just is. A good actor can put over a song even if their voice isn't great.

I'm with Margo - I wasn't interested in this production before, but I am now!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Updated On: 11/10/04 at 04:05 PM

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#39re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 4:12pm

I'm buying tickets, and I said I never wanted to see Fidler on the Roof again.
To all those who say he can't do it - he hasn't even started rehearsal, give him a break. The man is a star and has the kind of personality that commands attention when he is on stage. I think it will be a performance not to be missed.

midtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
#40re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 4:13pm

The birds won't miss it either. They'll be nesting under the ceiling, summoned by that croaking voice of his!

'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston

millie_dillmount
#41re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 4:16pm

Well, if you say so, but are you sure he's even capable of carrying a tune? "But his croaking of the score will be unendurable..."

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#42re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 4:29pm

now all those producers need to do is get Mario Cantone for Golde... THEN YA HAVE A SHOW!!! I'm grateful the show isn't closing but, I'm not sure which cast to see now.. Molina or Harvey..

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#43re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 4:29pm

"but are you sure he's even capable of carrying a tune"

He sang every single note in Hairspray (just in his own unique way)

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#44re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 4:34pm

This is so depressing. How can anyone take Broadway seriously anymore? I can't believe this is my chosen profession.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#45re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 4:38pm

Then find another profession, Baritone. If you can't see that Harvey has great potential as Tevye, perhaps you should rethink things for yourself.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

midtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
#46re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 4:51pm

My day isn't complete unless Rath is giving a come-uppance to someone on BWW!

'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#47re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 4:54pm

re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January

M J R Profile Photo
M J R
#48re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 5:26pm

"This is so depressing. How can anyone take Broadway seriously anymore? I can't believe this is my chosen profession."

I can't believe it's your profession either, if you're so close-minded to judge someone without giving them a chance in the role. I think he'll be fantastic for this production.

"High time we made a stand and shook up the views of the common man" - Tears for Fears
Updated On: 11/10/04 at 05:26 PM

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#49re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 5:54pm

MJR: Having an opinion about whether someone fits a role is not a symptom of what Broadway has come to or even how the profession has changed...this has gone on for eons. And it is exactly what producers think about when they try to figure out if this person will sell tickets or if people will not even bother to go to the box office.

In Fierstein's case, I think many people are judging the outcome based on his long and rich career AND on what they know of the show as a revival (neither are unknowns). I have the greatest respect for Harvey but he can't sing this score. Sorry. It has nothing to do with being judgemental...just realistic.

To use another example, you can't tell me you didn't raise an eyebrow when they announced Dreyfuss was doing Max B in London? And look how well THAT little casting decision turned out. There are just some things that scream 'STOP NOW'