Fave supporting characters

FabalaCohen
#0Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:24pm

So, while battling my random bout of imnsomia (sp) last night, I was listening to my OBCR of Les Miz, and found myself replaying "Master of the House" and "The Thenardier Waltz of Treachery." Both songs have been favorites, as with the Thenardier family (Ponine included) ever since I saw the show three years ago. Later on, I caught myself doing the same with Phantom's "Notes/Prima Donna"- I have always found Mess. Andre and Firmin and La Carlotta to be quite humorous.

So, who else here loves those slightly funny, always entertaining supporting characters that we always see on the Broadway stage?

"During this performance, please feel free to let your cell phones and pagers ring willy-nilly. However, do remember that there are heavily-armed knights on stage and you might well be dragged up and impaled." (Pre-curtain announcement at the new Broadway musical Monty Python's Spamalot)

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#1re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:27pm

Master of the House got me into Les Mis - so I owe them something!

I also love all the Disney Villains - Ursula, Scar, Jafar, etc!

They always have the best, most catchy tunes.

Actually, Poor Unfortunate Souls has a VERY similar opening tune to the opening of Master of the House!

"I've often said I should put sweets in my chair - they'd spend less time on my a** that way....." ~F.W.B.
Updated On: 11/30/04 at 06:27 PM

bdwybelle
#2re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:29pm

I saw Pacific Overtures and there were plenty of those.
There are many others but I can't remember, damn. I think about it.

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#3re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:30pm

The Thenardier's are probably my favorite supporting cast members. Any of them. I adore them, and agree that their contribution to Les Miz is really marvelous! Plus, Eponine rips your heart out with "Own My Own", which is probably my favorite song ever from a musical.

"What the hell happened to you? You look like a Make-A-Wish Kid. You know, I just knew you were gonna bring shame on this new family of ours, and it just figures you had to go make yourself over into some heroin-shootin skate board chic on the only day E! could interview you!" - Cherry Cherry, on her daughter Mary Cherry

gettinhep Profile Photo
gettinhep
#4re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:30pm

Roger Elizabeth DeBris

'Try not to have a good time...this is supposed to be educational.' - Lucy Van Pelt

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#5re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:31pm

I've always loved Carlotta too. I also love Collins and Angel in Rent.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#6re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:32pm

Is Éponine a supporting character?

I always thought of her as a principle.

"I've often said I should put sweets in my chair - they'd spend less time on my a** that way....." ~F.W.B.

Mythus
#7re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:33pm

Roger DeBris and Carmen Ghia.

bdwybelle
#8re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:33pm

yes definitely Roger Elizabeth DeBris from the Producers!!! right?

MaTakeALookAtMe Profile Photo
MaTakeALookAtMe
#9re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:35pm

Sancho Panza

FabalaCohen
#10re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:38pm

"Is Éponine a supporting character?

I always thought of her as a principle."

She has a larger part than her parents, tho. I still see her as supporting.

"During this performance, please feel free to let your cell phones and pagers ring willy-nilly. However, do remember that there are heavily-armed knights on stage and you might well be dragged up and impaled." (Pre-curtain announcement at the new Broadway musical Monty Python's Spamalot)

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#11re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:41pm

I played ponine in France. I was considered a principle not a supporting character. I think anyone with a solo song, solo in a company song (ie One Day More) and duet, and a lot of stage time, is more than a supporting character.

Like Motormouth Maybelle!

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#12re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:43pm

I agree, Eponine should be classified as a principal. Not only does she have one of the best solos, she also has one of the best duets (A Little Fall of Rain) and is a fairly large role. Les Miz is full of principals, isn't it?

"What the hell happened to you? You look like a Make-A-Wish Kid. You know, I just knew you were gonna bring shame on this new family of ours, and it just figures you had to go make yourself over into some heroin-shootin skate board chic on the only day E! could interview you!" - Cherry Cherry, on her daughter Mary Cherry

FabalaCohen
#13re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:45pm

I think I just threw Ponine in my fave char. from Les Miz. I do recognize that she is a principle, and my fave characters just happen to be the whole family- where the Thernardiers considered supporting in your production? (btw, my brain refuse to work with me. Stupid finals)

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#14re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:46pm

Jean Valjean
Javert
Éponine
Marius
::shuttering:: Cosette
Enjolras
Fantine/Bullet Boy (as far as the actress goes)

Under them I would put:
Les Thénardiers
Gavroche
Grantaire
Joly
Combeferre
Etc.

Then I would say:
Fauchelevant
Bamatabois

Then:
Everyone else

I think I got everyone!

FabalaCohen
#15re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:51pm

Ah. Thanks.

Quickie comment about the recording's "Master-" does Jennifer Butt's line delivery at the end (beginning with "Master and a half!") bug anyone else? I know it's a recording and all, but it just seems too overdone. The actress I saw (forgot name plus lost the program) did that whole part with a sarcastic tone, which seemed to fit better.

Signing off for now!

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#16re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:52pm

I dunno.

They all do it differently.

I like it!

Beedle Deedle Dee

PennyLou Profile Photo
PennyLou
#17re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 7:02pm

Penny Lou Pingelton

Grace: My love for you is like this scar (points to elbow) ulgy but permanent!

gettinhep Profile Photo
gettinhep
#18re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 7:09pm

How could I forget Carmen Ghia?

'Try not to have a good time...this is supposed to be educational.' - Lucy Van Pelt

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#19re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 7:34pm

Nicely-Nicely Johnson~GUYS AND DOLLS
Hysterium~FORUM
King Pellinore~CAMELOT

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#20re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 7:36pm

Sally-You're A Good Man Charlie Brown
Lily-The Secret Garden

dotmarie Profile Photo
dotmarie
#21re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 7:49pm

Carlotta is cool, but Meg Giry is better. =)
Nessarose in Wicked
Morales in A Chorus Line (actually, pretty much all in A Chorus Line)
Winnie Tate and Tommy Keeler in AGYG

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#22re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 7:52pm

Most definitely Anita from West Side Story.

Ah...

~Steven

MaTakeALookAtMe Profile Photo
MaTakeALookAtMe
#23re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 7:58pm

Recently saw the Fantastiks for the first time...Henry and Mortimer stole the show.

timote316
#24re: Fave supporting characters
Posted: 11/30/04 at 8:27pm

Supporting roles do wonders in lightening up shows!

Roger and Carmen have to be my favorites...

Videos