Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#0Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 1:50pm

Has anyone here seen Little Women in its out of city tryouts? I cant wait for this musical and I wanted to hear some opinions about it...Im sure there were some posted previous to this but I cant find them so tell me what you thought of this show! Thanks! Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#1re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 6:49pm

Here is my review that I wrote when I got back from seeing the second show.

Sorry it has taken me so long to write a review but I had to drive my fiance home last night and didn't get to her house until around midnight so I decided to spend the night there because I was falling asleep at the wheel. Anyway, to my review.

THE STAGING:
Lord, folks.....I was sooooooooo impressed by the staging. I mean, sets flew in, slid in, etc. Backdrops changed constantly to reveal such gorgeous scenery. My favorite is the attic. I mean, it looked so real. It covered the whole back of the stage and it was just amazing. When you see it on Broadway, you will know what I mean. The furniture that was used were beautiful as were the costumes. The dresses were so elegant looking and "real." Kudos to those that worked on that set. You did an amazing job.

THE STORY:
It didn't follow the novel step by step but it stayed close to the theme and actions of the book. I mean, all the big stuff were there but a good deal was also thrown out (which is understandable since the book is so long).

In the way of character development, I think they could have done better. Jo, Amy, and Marmee were pretty well developed but the other characters just seemed to be there to sing a pretty song and then leave. Beth was the most underdeveloped, I thought. She was only in a couple of scenes so I didn't fall in love with her like I should have. I mean, her view of life is what was so great about her character in the book and movies, but it was mostly ignored in the musical. But, the scenes Beth was in was great.

With Jo, I think they made her a little too immature in the beginning as well as Laurie. They are supposed to be mid-teens, early twenties and they acted like they were 10 years old. In the time of the Civil War, people their age would not have acted like that. I understand they were going for youthfulness but I think they took it a step too far. That was one thing that turned me off. But besides those few things, I thought they did a g great job with the story.

THE ACTORS:

SUTTON FOSTER (Jo)--In the first act, I was so dissapointed because she majorly overacted. It was very amaturish, but I think it was because of what I stated about her character development. I wished she would have toned it down just a little bit. You can act like a teenager but not be constantly goofy. In the second act though, she was perfection. I mean, it was like a complete different person on that stage. I understand the character is older but she played the part like it was meant for her. And her voice........don't get me started. How can that big of a voice come out of that little body? She sang every song to perfection and had a smile on my face everytime she sang. YOU GO GIRL!!!

MAUREEN MCGOVERN (Marmee)--I think she was the best actor and singer on that stage. She has been singing and acting for a long time and you can tell because when she took the stage, she commanded it. She was also my favorite character in the musical because she lost a daughter and husband but yet kept her head lifted high and lived her life to the fullest but at the same time you could hear the heartache in her voice. Magic.....that is all I can say about her performance.

Amy McAlexander (Amy), Jenny Powers (Meg), and Megan Mcginnis (Beth) played the parts of the sisters to perfection. I loved it every time they were on the stage. Especially Amy. Her voice was high and shrill when she was a young girl but that is how I believe her character would have sounded in the book.

The rest of the cast was great as well but I have a couple of things I wish they would change but I won't go into that. Just know that everyone they chose to play the parts were perfectly chosen.

THE SONGS:

Beautiful. As I was watching the musical and listening to the songs, I thought I was watching a Rodgers and Hammerstein musical. It just had that feel to it. And let me be the first to say that "Astonishing" is going to be next years "Defying Gravity." Every girl will be singing that song. And the song that Jo and Beth sings at the beach called "Some Things Are Meant To Be," My fiance and I were crying and she didn't stop crying until the end. Again, let me state that the music is beautiful. I am definetly going to buy the cast recording the day it comes out.

OVERALL:
I really, really, really enjoyed this musical. I think it going to do very well next year when it hits broadway. It is definetly going to pick up a following and some of the songs are going to be in girls music repetoire for years to come. If you do not have tickets to see this I strongly suggest you do. You won't be sorry.

Sorry that this is so long, but I wanted to give my first musical review as much as I could in a short amount of time. On a side note, I asked a student who was a directing intern there if Sutton and the gang were going to sign the programs after the show and she went and asked and said that they said that they would so I waited after the show. When they finally came out, a crowd of fourteen year old girls and their mothers pushed me out of the way to get signatures and pictures. Maureen McGovern came out and she was so nice and gracious for people wanting her autograph and coming to the show. And all of a sudden Sutton came out and said she could only stay about 3 minutes because her boyfriend was waiting on her, and everyone's attention left Maureen and went to Sutton. I felt so sorry for her because she looked as if she was unimportant and not wanted. She just stood up and grabbed her purse and started to walk out, but I said "excuse me. can you please sign this for me? You were amazing and I loved your voice." She smiled at me and signed my program and said "thanks" and walked out. But, because of those fourteen year old girls and their mothers, I didn't get anyone else's autograph and I am still pissed about that. Oh well!

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#2re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 6:55pm

I'm sorry to hear Sutton overacted a bit, thats the impression I got from the video at Broadway.com. Jo is a spirited and passionate person but not to the extent that Sutton went to. I hope she tones it a little before previews in NY

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#3re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 6:57pm

I heard she got better, but by the video I do not see any difference. Like I said in the review, you can act young without being "goofy." I mean, naieve (sp?) is one thing, tomboy is one thing, GOOFY is another.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Updated On: 12/3/04 at 06:57 PM

another_day_2day
#4re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 7:05pm

cant wait to see it..i heard sutton foster was actually really good

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#5re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 7:07pm

she was really good, except for the overacting in act 1. In Act II, she was PERFECTION!!

MatureDignity Profile Photo
MatureDignity
#6re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 7:19pm

I saw the show... enjoyed it a lot.

I agree that the staging and sets are awesome. The cast is pretty perfect, too. Most of the supporting characters need to be fleshed out. A lot of the music is bland, but the songs are acted so well that maybe people won't notice. Some songs can go, maybe one of John Hickok's numbers (even though he's wonderful) and especially that one between Amy and Laurie in the second act. I hated it. I really didn't like Amy-- the way the character was written or the way the actress portrayed her. That was my only major problem... well, and the horrible pants that they make Jo wear in the first act, but I guess that's not a legitimate complaint. : )

I didn't think Sutton overacted at all.

Anyway, it's a sweet show. I hope it does well!

ETA-- wanted to mention that there's a scene in Act II between Beth and Jo that is SO beautiful. I cried like an idiot. Updated On: 12/3/04 at 07:19 PM

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#7re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 7:24pm

Do you mean Beth and Jo? Where they are at the beach?

MatureDignity
#8re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 7:27pm

Eep-- yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks, spider. Everything about that scene was perfect!

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#9re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 7:29pm

OMG, yeah! My fiancee and I cried so hard and she didn't finish crying until we were leaving the auditorium. But, the beach scene was PERFECT!!!

MatureDignity
#10re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 7:32pm

Aww... my sister and I were so emotional, lol. "Astonishing" left me a bit breathless, too.

I'm going to try to see it again on my next trip to NY. I'm interested to see what changes they've made.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#11re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 7:35pm

Well, since I can't go see it in NYC I demand a review from someone. lol. re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#12re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 7:52pm

The last time I saw the show, I was shaking all through Astonishing. "Somethings Are Meant to Be" is SUCH a gorgeous song. I also disliked the Amy/Laurie song.I love everything and everyone except Amy, whose voice was annoying. She was still good, though.

MatureDignity-What day did you go on? I agree with you, I don't think Sutton overacted either.

I am going to NYC over winter break and would love to see it again to see the changes. Does anyone know if previews are cheaper than the actual show?

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#13re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 8:00pm

Why am I and my fiancee (who isn't that much of a fan of theatre) the only ones that think she overacted?

ElphieDefiesGravity
#14re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 8:16pm

Spider, when you say overacting, are you talking about the parts during the operatic tragedies and stuff and the "fight" with Laurie, or just during normal scenes?

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#15re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 8:17pm

No. Normal scenes. I mean a few times I was waiting for her to go "A-Yuck." When she got excited is when I think she overacted. I mean she was ALL OVER THE PLACE!!

ElphieDefiesGravity
#16re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 8:21pm

Interesting, no one I was with ever mentioned that.
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Agreed?

MatureDignity
#17re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 8:30pm

Elphie-- I went a week before it closed. Saw the Saturday matinee... Oct. 22nd, maybe? All I know is there was a football game and it took over an hour to park, lol. When did you see it?

I can see where you thought she overacted, spider. I guess it's all a matter of opinion.

What did you guys think of Danny Gurwin as Laurie?

There are some discount codes floating around for the show in New York. I think they're valid until January.

marincrazy11 Profile Photo
marincrazy11
#18re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 8:39pm

Thanks for posting these reviews guys! I am going to NYC over winter/spring break and I am really hoping we get to see this show!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited for it!!

"Did you know that if you take the first two vowels in Olive and rearrange them it spells I-Love?"-Spelling Bee "It's night like this that hotel bars were specifically made." Light In The Piazza

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#19re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 8:43pm

Is the musical sung-through?

Marincrazy11, is that Candace Bergen in the picture with you?

"What the hell happened to you? You look like a Make-A-Wish Kid. You know, I just knew you were gonna bring shame on this new family of ours, and it just figures you had to go make yourself over into some heroin-shootin skate board chic on the only day E! could interview you!" - Cherry Cherry, on her daughter Mary Cherry

marincrazy11
#20re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 8:59pm

no. It's Marin and Jason.

"Did you know that if you take the first two vowels in Olive and rearrange them it spells I-Love?"-Spelling Bee "It's night like this that hotel bars were specifically made." Light In The Piazza

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#21re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 9:04pm

Who are they?

"What the hell happened to you? You look like a Make-A-Wish Kid. You know, I just knew you were gonna bring shame on this new family of ours, and it just figures you had to go make yourself over into some heroin-shootin skate board chic on the only day E! could interview you!" - Cherry Cherry, on her daughter Mary Cherry

marincrazy11
#22re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 9:23pm

WHO ARE THEY???? It's the beautiful and fabulously talented Marin Mazzie (Passion, Ragtime, Kiss Me Kate, Man of LaMancha) and her wonderful husband Jason Danieley (Candide,The Full Monty, The Highest Yellow)

bwaymyway
#23re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/3/04 at 11:52pm

I saw it and loved it, and could not find a flaw...if you want to know anything, ask or pm me!

but most of all i yearn to be astonishing...

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#24re: Anyone seen LITTLE WOMEN?
Posted: 12/4/04 at 12:55am

I didn't want to start a new thread on this, so i'll ask here:

Which are better seats at the Virginia Theatre,

Orchestra Rox U
or
Mezzanine Row E

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

Videos