#0Which Wild Party?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 5:38pm

Lippa or Lacusia? I say Lippa.

"Bang...The War Commences"

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#1re: Which Wild Party?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 5:39pm

Both are good, but I like Lippa's better.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#2re: Which Wild Party?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 5:40pm

Oh, for the umpteenth time: LA CHIUSA, LA CHIUSA, LA CHIUSA!!!!!!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#3re: Which Wild Party?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 5:41pm

I think LaChuisa's is a piece of crap.

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#4re: Which Wild Party?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 5:43pm

I personally go for Lippa's. The cast is phenomenal.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#5re: Which Wild Party?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 5:50pm

La Chiusa, without a doubt. Lippa has tome nice tunes, but the music is more standard musical comedy that could easily be used in other shows. La Chiusa's score more effectively captures the mood of the text and period of the piece. It's much darker and complex mixing jazz, vaudeville and contemporary musical theatre to tell a much richer story and it more clearly defines the characters and the era. It really is one of my favorite scores of the past decade. The entire cast is exceptional with no weak links.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#6re: Which Wild Party?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 6:25pm

Both of the incarnations of the show are pretty damn good. La Chiusa does a magnificant job of capturing the period and the mood of the story, and, as a previous poster mentioned, his score is more complex than Lippa's. Lippa's version, however, boasts a stellar cast. (Not that La Chiusa's cast isn't exceptional... but come ON. Brian d'Arcy James alone makes the Lippa cast recording worthwhile- let alone Idina Menzel, Taye Diggs, and Julia Murney thrown into the mix.) Also, the music is more in tune with contemporary Broadway. Lippa doesn't attempt to adapt his score to suit the atmosphere of the piece, as La Chiusa does.

Really, I think that both methods work. If you can afford both, get both. They are worth getting together if only for the fact that it is extremely interesting to compare two great composers' wildly different takes on the same subject matter.

"Goodness is rewarded. Hope is guaranteed. Laughter builds strong bones. Right will intercede. Things you've said I often find I need, indeed. I see the world through your eyes. What's black and white is colorized. The knowledge you most dearly prized I'm eager to employ. You said that life has infinite joys."

crazy smiles Profile Photo
crazy smiles
#7re: Which Wild Party?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 6:30pm

Toughy. I really like both of them. Especially Marc Kudisch in La Chiusa. I recently just got Lippa's and it is very well, but I adored La Chiusa's first, so I guess its a tie?

#8re: Which Wild Party?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 6:44pm

re: Which Wild Party?

2 words - TONI COLETTE

LaChiusa :)

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#92 More Words
Posted: 12/20/04 at 6:48pm

2 More Words

JULIA MURNEY

Lippa

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#102 More Words
Posted: 12/20/04 at 6:51pm

LOL

"Goodness is rewarded. Hope is guaranteed. Laughter builds strong bones. Right will intercede. Things you've said I often find I need, indeed. I see the world through your eyes. What's black and white is colorized. The knowledge you most dearly prized I'm eager to employ. You said that life has infinite joys."

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#112 More Words
Posted: 12/20/04 at 6:58pm

2 More Words

Brian d'Arcy James

LIPPA

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#122 More Words
Posted: 12/20/04 at 7:00pm

i gotta say I am a Lippa fan...I know that makes me some sort of sell-out, but the vocal performances are brilliant. Although i LOVE "People Like Us from LaChuisa's version.

Akiva

skingdom
#132 More Words
Posted: 12/20/04 at 7:01pm

LIPPA...others can shove it!

maybethistime
#142 More Words
Posted: 12/20/04 at 8:01pm

lippa Updated On: 12/20/04 at 08:01 PM

#152 More Words
Posted: 12/20/04 at 8:43pm

Ok ~ Maybe I need to listen to the Lippa Version one more time. :)

apdarcey
#162 More Words
Posted: 12/20/04 at 9:03pm

lachiusa... lippa's is just too pop and contemporary... the show is a period piece and lachiusa's score beautifully hits the music of the age... if you want to take the music out of context then i certainly enjoy some of lippa's melodies much better... however, as a show, lachiusa's is much more accurate and therefore fulfilling to me... still, i really think the only great song is people like us... but that one song beats the whole score of lippa's show hands down... it's the most amazing show ever... and toni colette... amen show2n!

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#172 More Words
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:04pm

I just bought the LaChiusa cast recording on Friday. I have listened to it about three times and it is definitely growing on me. I am sorry that I missed this one. It sounds like it was very well done...and it is a cast of millions! Who saw this bway version? Did you all enjoy it? Why didn't it last longer than 3 months? I will definitely be seeing this one at lincoln center very soon!

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#182 More Words
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:34pm

La Chiusa! After catching R shamon at the WTF, my husband and I just had to hear his version!

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

BwayTheatre11
#192 More Words
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:43pm

Both are great, I think.

CCM '10!

#202 More Words
Posted: 12/21/04 at 5:41am

LaChiusa hands down, without a doubt. I can't believe this is even argued.

E

Mimi Imfurst
#212 More Words
Posted: 12/21/04 at 1:24pm

its argued because they were at the same time. Pefect marketing plot- open two versions and fans felt the need to see both. :) anyhow, the lippa version is just damn sexy.... much better. :) Mandy Patikin is washed up anyhow.

NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#222 More Words
Posted: 12/21/04 at 1:34pm

can anyone say Norm Lewis?? say that with me...

it's not even a matchup: Lachiusa's soars. (especially if you are a Sondheim man)

though I do love me some Brian d'Arcy James

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.
Updated On: 12/21/04 at 01:34 PM

DancerGirl16 Profile Photo
DancerGirl16
#232 More Words
Posted: 12/21/04 at 1:41pm

Lippa

When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing. - Moliere

DancerGirl16 Profile Photo
DancerGirl16
#242 More Words
Posted: 12/21/04 at 1:41pm

Lippa

When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing. - Moliere

Videos