pixeltracker

After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?

After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?

Wicked .. For Good
#0After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:12pm

ever since I saw Wicked, I cannot even stand the name "THE WIZARD OF OZ". I am all against it. Does anyone else feel this strongly about this? I mean this is coming from a girl who is seeing Wicked for her 5th time, remember?!

"sing til you're breaking glass, or you're breaking down.."

jjdude2000
#1re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:15pm

I can stand it...but I totally agree! I love Wicked, so I think of the movie in relation to Wicked.

Grace: I just gave a quarter to a homeless man. I think it was Johnny Depp.

centerstage
#2re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?

i wouldnt say im all against it, but i do sit ther and yell at the tv...NO the scarcrow's Fyerio, and NO! the wizard is evil...glinda is really GA-linda...u all get the point

"Past the point of no return, no backward glances: our games of make-believe are at an end" Phantom

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#3re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?

THE WIZARD OF OZ will always be one of my favorite books and movies. i love WICKED the musical and also the book as a very clever "supplement." but THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ will always have a special place in my heart.

RIP glebby <3

PJ
#4re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:16pm

Um, I loved them both. I watched "Oz" on TV a few weeks back and it was somewhat "cool" to think about the backstory of the witches. But I guess you feel a lot more strongly on this subject than I do, haha.

Wicked .. For Good
#5re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:16pm

also, in the Wizard of Oz, they make the witch seem SOOOOO ugly. In Wicked, Elphba isn't that ugly, she's just green. Right?

BSoBW2
#6re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:19pm

well,

originally the actress that was going to play the wicked witch was beautiful - but they decided to have an ugly person - and, well, it doesn't get much worse than Margaret Hamilton (who will always be the Wicked Witch).

Margaret Hamilton = Wicked Witch
Idina Menzel = Margaret Hamilton

PJ
#7re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:20pm

I don't think Idina is the slightest bit ugly. Even with the green makeup. Infact, I think she's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. Even at the stage door with the tiniest hint of green tint to her skin she looked stunning.

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#8re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:21pm

I love "Wicked," I really do. However, "The Wizard of Oz" is film royality, that shouldn't be compared to anything out today. I think "Wicked" will be around for the long haul, but do you really think it will gain the legendary status that "The Wizard of Oz" has? I agree, to a certain extent. I was watching "The Wizard of Oz" last night, and I kept saying, "Poor Elphie," or "Damn that wizard!" But, I wasn't totally against it, damning it for not being "Wicked." Just my two cents! re: After Seeing Wicked,  Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?

-Vincent

Wicked .. For Good
#9re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:21pm

I agree completely PJ. Now you're starting to sound like me. =).

Sondheimman132
#10re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:22pm

Have to say, not a huge Wicked or Wizard of Oz fan. I'm for The Wiz 100%, but then again, I am not a Stephen Schwartz fan AT ALL.I think that the whole hooplah about Wicked will die out soon enough because you do eventually get sick of hearing the damn notes of "Defying Gravity". I cringe to think about it...

"Bang...The War Commences"

kim1061 Profile Photo
kim1061
#11re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?

i love the witches first entrance, the whole scene when nessarose is hit and the witch comes for the shoes. i love that part. its so ironic because in the book im up to the part where she wants the shoes back. so yea but i have yet to watch the full movie since ive seen the play. id like to see the part where shes with chistery and in her i guess you would call it "lair"

A dancer might dream to see her name in lights and mean it, but all she really dreams is to make someone else feel the way she did when she first saw a dancer. And that is so beautiful-Anonymous

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#12re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?

both are great... i was entertained watching wizard of oz right after i finished the book... but i wouldn't say i watch wizard of oz very differently... its great to love the wicked witch now

::bust a move::

BSoBW2
#13re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:23pm

Idina is beautiful - very doable.

Wicked .. For Good
#14re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:26pm

but don't you agree? The story of Wicked is heartbreaking. This misunderstood, green girl who does and does for everyone is given the name the 'Wicked Witch'. I find it- beyond. And then you see the Wizard of Oz, and them 'melting her', how could someone watch that? It just kills me.

being Wicked has taken over my life, pretty much, I do look at this very differently than others, though I see what you mean, the Wizard of Oz is a classic and will always be.

#15re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:28pm

The Wizard of Oz has always been my favorite movie. It was the first movie I can ever remember seeing. After falling in love with Wicked, I couldn't watch The Wizard of Oz the exact same way, but the negativty has faded. I will never lose my respect for The Wizard of Oz, and I will always consider it one of the best movies ever made, however drastic that may seem. Updated On: 12/20/04 at 10:28 PM

Wicked .. For Good
#16re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:37pm

very true .. I guess.

rockfenris2005
#17re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:41pm

I'm a huge fan of The Wizard of Oz. I don't want to spoil it now, so I'll never see Wicked :)

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

Wicked .. For Good
#18re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:42pm

trust me, see Wicked. It's BEYOND worth it.

BSoBW2
#19re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:53pm

The two shows are different in many ways...

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#20re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/20/04 at 11:31pm

The Wizrad of Oz, Wicked, and the Wiz are all different from each other. This includes the books and movies. In the WoO book, you will find that the witch is nothing like Elphaba. She's not even green.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

Bal
#21re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/21/04 at 2:28am

The movie really makes no sense in relation to Wicked, stage or screen. The characters are stereotypes. While the book and musical are really neat ideas, I think of them seperately.

"Well, obviously Company is about the Kennedy family. Bobby is played by Raul, and JFK is played by Harvey Fierstein." -vfd88

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#22re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/21/04 at 4:53am

^And that is why I adore Bal.

"Goodness is rewarded. Hope is guaranteed. Laughter builds strong bones. Right will intercede. Things you've said I often find I need, indeed. I see the world through your eyes. What's black and white is colorized. The knowledge you most dearly prized I'm eager to employ. You said that life has infinite joys."

#23re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/21/04 at 6:01am

I really think its rediculous that Wicked was written totaly inconsistant to The Wizard of Oz. If Fiyero was really the scarecrow, why would Elphaba (wicked witch) throw a fireball at him and threaten to kill him. ALSO Fiyero gets captured in Munchkinland, right after Dorothy went skiping down the yellowbrick road. AND WHO did Dorothy first meet.....the scarecrow, up on the post. He tells her he's been up there for years. So unless Dorothy skips awefully slow, the scarcrow/fiyero plot makes no sence. ALSO In the movie, after the first confrontation of the Witch and Dorothy, in munchkinland, Glinda left in her bubble. Elphaba left in a big fireball. They had no chance to meet up and have their little catfight as they do in Wicked. Audences are smarter than they think. I dont think I was the only one who thought of these things.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#24re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/21/04 at 6:20am

"He tells her he's been up there for years"

Correction: He was actually made the day before yesterday. That is how the book, as well as the Wiz described it. The movie makes no accurate mention of how long he's been up there.

Also, the Tin Man, who was not Boq, because the first person Dorothy met on the road was Boq, where she stayed overnight at his house.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

Videos