POTO Movie Review

Derek
#0POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/23/04 at 11:03am

I saw the POTO movie last night. I was expecting it to be so-so. I was blown away!!! I don't know how anyone can say that this was a "bad" movie. It was original and yet it also retained many images from the original show. Gerards voice was not nearly as bad as what I've heard. I actually liked him as the Phantom very much. He gave the role much feeling. The Music of the Night number must have been re-recorded, because it sounds so much different from the sountrack. That song (in my opinion) was one of the highlights of the movie. Some other highlights were as follows: The Overture, All I Ask of You, Masquerade, Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again and The Point of No Return. I was hoping I wouldnt, but I almost started crying in Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again....ALMOST! The cinematography was also amazing! The true highlight of the movie (I thought) was Emmy Rossums performance. She was great! She is so innocent in the start of the movie, but when The Point of No Return begins, she becomes very mature and in one word "sexy" lol. The chandelier crash was also amazing. I think having it near the end of the movie was a better choice. The costumes and scenery were unbelievable, very similar to Moulin Rouge. I wouldnt be surprised if they won the oscars for them! Please disregard your newspaper reviews. I got SO many chills in this movie. Its amazing!

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#1re: POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/23/04 at 11:05am

Derek, I honestly couldn't have said it better myself. That was EXACTLY how I felt about the film.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

BwayTheatre11
#2re: POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/23/04 at 11:07am

Was it REALLY, Matt?

CCM '10!

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#3re: POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/23/04 at 11:09am

Yes. Derek pretty much spelled out my thoughts on the film perfectly.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

#4re: POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/23/04 at 11:29am

that's exactly how I felt too! One thing that was awkward was in Angel Of Music when they were walking down that hallway together. Updated On: 12/23/04 at 11:29 AM

mule
#5I Agree - The movie rocks
Posted: 12/23/04 at 1:16pm

I truly believe Emmy Rossum is the next big female star. She just has it, whatever it is.

The movie just rocked.

I cannot believe the critics have been around 50/50 on it. If you like the show at all you will like the movie.

It has differences but retains the core of the show. Cinema allows expansion however, and it is well done.

Go see it.

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#6I Agree - The movie rocks
Posted: 12/23/04 at 1:28pm

I can imaging this movie being recieved 50/50 though because were a little bias because all know the music and already appreciate it but for a regular moviegor who doesnt know everything baout it already it can bee different. Anyoone have any reviews from non theatre people?

mirandajrs Profile Photo
mirandajrs
#7POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/23/04 at 1:28pm

After reading all the reviews I was so surprised by how much I loved it. What was even more surprising was the fact that the 4 musical haters I brought with me loved it just as much.

Edith 'Little Edie' Bouvier Beale: Do you think my costume looked all right for Brooks? I think he was a little amazed.

bronxboundexpress
#8POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/23/04 at 1:44pm

That's a good sign.

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#9POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/23/04 at 2:14pm

I was reading a review in a local paper of it. The writer gave it one and a half stars. He basically dismissed everything and panned it. He also had no concept of musicals or Broadway or theatre in general. I hate small town papers.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

Derek
#10POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/23/04 at 4:36pm

I also forgot to say, I thought Miranda Richardson was amazing as Mme Giry!

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#11POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/23/04 at 4:40pm

Which reminds me, why is Miranda the only one with a French accent in the film? Shouldn't everyone else (save for Carlotta) have an accent that's not contemporary American or similar? Very inconsistent.

Anyway, here's to hoping "Phantom in Manhattan" doesn't get made into a movie!

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

Derek
#12POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/23/04 at 4:47pm

I think Mme Giry is french, Christine is English...I know they're all not from France though. I can't get over what a beautiful movie it was! I cant wait to see it again!

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#13POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/23/04 at 4:48pm

I saw the movie last night and liked it very much. My grandmother, lover of musical theatre but ultimate hater of Andrew Llyod Webber (honestly, if she had enough energy and the right connections she probably would have planned an assasination for, in her words, "ruining musical theatre") thought it was very good. Not great, the material wasn't tweaked enough to be great. I thought it was a tad long. But in all a very good movie. If you read Variety's review on it then that would pretty much be my review summed up. I thought many of the papers were extremely harsh towards it, a lot of them I noticed hated the stage show to begin with. Why do they send people who hate the original source to review the movie? Doesn't make sense!

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#14POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/23/04 at 4:49pm

I've posted my review on other threads, but i LVOE LOVE LOVE this movie.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Derek
#15POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/23/04 at 4:51pm

Yes my grandmother came with me also. she too hates Webber, but ended up loving the movie!

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#16POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/23/04 at 4:51pm

I agree, Derek, it was a very beautiful movie. There were a few flaws - some that could be overlooked and some that were harder - but over all, I really liked it and I'm hoping to see it again soon. (And can't WAIT for the DVD!)

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

Derek
#17POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/23/04 at 4:54pm

I kind of thought Prima Donna was a little too jumpy, but it was ok. I loved Minnie Driver in this, she was so funny!

Derek
#18POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/23/04 at 4:58pm

As much as I liked Gerard, I just watched a clip of Antonio Banderas singing the title song with Sarah Brightman, he was great!

misterchoi
#19POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/23/04 at 5:05pm

what a stupid movie.

POTO Movie Review sorry.

"Yesterday is done. See the pretty countryside. Merrily we roll along, roll along- catching at dreams."- Merrily we roll along "The living was the prize, the ending's not the story."- Elegies, a song cycle

Derek
#20POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/23/04 at 5:14pm

Did you like the musical/show??

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#21POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/23/04 at 7:46pm

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/review/movie/0,6115,1011985_1_0_,00.html

A review from Entertainment Weekly...it got a C+

bronxboundexpress
#22POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/23/04 at 7:46pm

"Shouldn't everyone else (save for Carlotta) have an accent that's not contemporary American or similar?"

Shouldn't they all actually be speaking French?

broadway geek Profile Photo
broadway geek
#23POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/23/04 at 10:21pm

I like all the accents. I think the French accent for Mme. Giry adds an air of mystery.

maybethistime
#24POTO Movie Review
Posted: 12/24/04 at 1:04am

EXACTLY- i loved it

Videos