I love the show but...

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#0I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 4:53pm

We all have our favorite shows, but nothing is perfect. What are your favorite shows, but also one thing that bothers you about it.

Here is mine. Rent is a favorite of mine - BUT I really dislike there not so subtle way of tell you what time of year it is. Things like "Happy spring" or "I'll call, I hate the fall." I mean, there had to be a better way to do that.

Now, your turn!

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!
Updated On: 12/24/04 at 04:53 PM

CaMi MiAmI
#1re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 4:55pm

What about "Happy New Year" or "x-mas bells are ringing" doesn't that imply it's the holidays?

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#2re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 4:57pm

I love rent but for some reason without you gets on my nerves.

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

LittleBitRacist Profile Photo
LittleBitRacist
#3re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 5:01pm

I love Wicked but i think "Something Bad" SUCKS.

thibodeaux Profile Photo
thibodeaux
#4re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 5:03pm

I do love RENT...And I dont' really have any beef with it :) I think it's smart. re: I love the show but...

As for Wicked...It's hit-and-miss for me. Some songs I lovelovelove and others I skip over. Constantly.

BKLYN...love it...not enough belting. i need more. re: I love the show but... (joke!)

whatever and ever amen - ben folds five

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#5re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 5:07pm

CaMi, since all of Act 1 happens in one night the Christmas bells works for me. Plus the first wors sung is "December 24, 9 PM" so we know its the holidays. Its the other parts that I am not to happy about. :)

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#6re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 5:21pm

TGIF - I think the constant allusions to the season/time are year are necessary. With no references of time, one would think that the entire show takes place in a few days. I think it's very smart, but that's your opinion.

I have to think about my choice...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#7re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 5:30pm

I LOVE Les Mis but Cosette is wayyyy underdeveloped. Give the girl a solo or something more than a love song! I wish her part in In My Life were longer...

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Updated On: 12/24/04 at 05:30 PM

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#8re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 5:31pm

Sweeney Todd is completely and utterly perfect.

I tried to think of one flaw, any flaw, but couldn't think of one.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#9re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 5:35pm

I'm shocked to hear that coming from you!

Well, I thought of my choice: TABOO.

I absolutely ADORE the show and think the music is amazing. They had some amazing elements, but unfortunately the terrible elements were too great. That show really really could have been something amazing, but it was rushed and some things were put into questionable hands. I would love to see a re-vamped version with someone who actually knows what they're doing take it on. In other words, as much as I adore Rosie, she needs to produce it and not try her hand at directing, choreographing, and shaping the story. It's clearly not her strength. We need Tony Kushner to tweak the script and Sam Mendes of David Leveaux to direct, then it might work.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

NightLaughs Profile Photo
NightLaughs
#10re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 5:37pm

Curtain Up- I agree. The character of Cosette never warmed up to be because we knew little about her. She was beautiful, she loved her father, she questioned her life a bit. And...? What's to love?

I HATE the line in Rent, "Think twice before you poo-poo it." Why not say "Think twice before you don't do it." or "Think twice before you say screw it" Sure, not eloquent but hey, niether is poo-poo.

If you limit your choices to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise."- Robert Fritz

Plum
#11re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 5:46pm

I adored Caroline, or Change, but the character of Dottie was a weakness in my opinion. I understand her purpose for being there, and the actress playing the part did a fine job, but in a story where everyone else was bound together by ties of family or employment, she seemed a little bit outside of things. And she seemed too young to be Caroline's old friend.

BSoBW2
#12re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 5:55pm

I love the show but....it is closing (Dracula). I suppose it could lose the actor who plays Van Helsing.

Let's see, Les Mis is my favorite show - i hate the slow motion running from the cart - that has always annoyed me. So does the song Turning (but not like the slow mo).

I think Fiddler is absolutely perfect (the show (book and score) itself, not some of the actors or staging)

maybethistime
#13re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 6:26pm

I love Caroline, or Change, but Noah (aka "Really Annoying White Kid" -broadwayabridged.com) was REALLY ANNOYING and Caroline's little boys were all better actors than him.

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#14re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 6:49pm

Munk, I completely agree with you. It being in there is essential to the story. My gripe is the way it is done. I think there could have been better ways to let the audience know. For example during Angel's Eulogy and maureen (i think) says something along the lines of "its good that it is halloween because it was angel's favorite holiday." It fits and and works. For me "Happy spring" just seems odd. Does that make sense?

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#15re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 6:52pm

NightLaughs where is that poo poo line in RENT? For some reason i have no idea where it is!

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#16re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 6:53pm

It is in "We'll see." Benny sings it.

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#17re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 7:02pm

thanks so much!!! now i won't go crazy!

Updated On: 12/24/04 at 07:02 PM

mizzie Profile Photo
mizzie
#18re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 7:04pm

Les Misérables is my favourite musical of all time, but as CurtainUp says Cosette is under-developed. Also, Enjolras needs a good solo, and they need to make Little People longer again!

camerangel Profile Photo
camerangel
#19re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 7:05pm

hmmm the lines that Roger says about the seasons dont bother me so much.. I hear people say happy spring when spring comes around, his is just with sarcasm. and I always took his " I hate the fall" line as his way of saying things always go to heLl for him in fall.. that's just my interpretation.. Then again he's not exactly saying to state the time of year as we know it's around fall because it's after halloween.. that why I interpret it the way I do.

"All work and no smut makes Cammy lose her edge." ~DG

"Someday I'm going to have a baby and I'm gonna name her L'il Mimi Marquez and I and will sing to her every day and when she's a toddler I will say "L'il Mimi Marquez, clad only in a bubble diaper, will perform her famous play pen handcuff dance to the sounds of breast milk being pumped!" ~Kringas

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#20re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 7:10pm

I second everything Munk said about Taboo.

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#21re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 7:17pm

chicago- could easily lose "a little bit of good" and "me and my baby"... i'm slowly learning to appreciate both however, in particular a little bit of good, which gives me a much needed break in between my 2 huge numbers

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#22re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 7:17pm

I love everything about Wicked, but "Something Bad" and "Sentimental Man" get on my nerves.

VIETgrlTerifa
#23re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 11:16pm

I love love love Wicked, but I really hate the book and the way the characters are written. I also think some of the songs could have been staged much better.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

dapapabear2 Profile Photo
dapapabear2
#24re: I love the show but...
Posted: 12/24/04 at 11:44pm

The way Van Helsing was portrayed in Dracula was the worst part of the show for me. And that song about destroying evil in Jesus' name, was to me one of the most ridiculous and completely annoying things I have seen ever in musical theater. No, it ties with the screechy blond girl in Gypsy but at least she had a reason for being in the show.

"They said the war by now would all be over They said one day our land would be reborn But looking now at all that we have sacrificed There's nothing left but a world forever torn" Justin Murphy

Videos