Sondheim or Webber?

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#0Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 1:10am

Lately, after having a "musical theatre" conversation with a co-worker, I realised that it all boils down to two types of musical theatre lovers. And these two types are defined on their like of two different composers. Sondheim or Webber. The answer to which of those you choose lets people know your style and intelligence. So which is it? Sondheim or Webber? (and you cannot say both, because there's no such thing)

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

Mattio98
#1re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 1:12am

SONDHEIM

But, there actually is a both. On Broadway, we have plenty of theatres to accomadate plenty of both those types of shows for everyones' tastes. Updated On: 12/25/04 at 01:12 AM

pab Profile Photo
pab
#2re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 1:15am

SONDHEIM

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#3re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 1:17am

There's no such thing???
Irving Berlin and Kurt Weill?
Debussy and Galt McDermott?
Jule Styne and Marc Blitzstein?
Who says I can't like aspects of all of them? Isn't that what enjoying music is about...NOT being narrow minded and dismissive?

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#4re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 1:20am

Let me explain - Sondheim is about intellect. Webber is about simplicity. Either you like to be entertained with thought, or you just like to be entertained.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

#5re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 1:30am

Sondheim saved my life--well his music when I discovered him at 13. I honestly think that--it spoke to me in a way nothing had before. So without a doubt Sondheim.

But I'm a mild ALW fan. I saw Phantom when I was 9 and it blew me away--first professional musical i saw. I think Aspects of Love ha some gorgeous music and when I lived a year in London I won tickets to Whistle Down the Wind--and enjoyed it much more than I expected.

E

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#6re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 1:31am

Or maybe I can do both. I'm not being mean spirited, but wasn't "FORUM" about being entertained? Wasn't "JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR" thought provoking?

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#7re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 1:36am

What's so thought provoking about a story that most of us had heard about since we were children. Ooh, Jesus' last days before his death. How thought provoking. (as I must mention that is sarcasm, because sarcasm does not read well on puters)

VIETgrlTerifa
#8re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 1:39am

I do believe it is possible to love both styles for different reasons.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

LaeloftheLakes Profile Photo
LaeloftheLakes
#9re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 1:45am

I started out ALW...I mean, as a kid, his stuff entranced me, but I've gradually gone over to the Sondheim camp, where I am quite content.

"I am special, I am special! Please, God, please, don't let me be normal!" ---Louisa, The Fantasticks
---
---
Intolerant of intolerance.

jesseeinstein
#10re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 1:55am

yikes! Not even dignifying this with an answer! Ok I will! Sondheim is INFINITELY better than ALW!

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#11re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 2:02am

LLOYD WEBBER

This is a good topic and it is correct that it all boils down to them really. They are the two most popular modern theatre composers and yet they are so different almost like opposites. They are the opposite extremes on the spectrum of taste in theatre. I prefer ALW because just brcause he is the one who brought me to the theatre and I was a young teenager from the popular world and I loved and still love popular rock music and he combined that with live entertainment which facinated me. I also prefer ALW because I am an aspiring producer and always go for the money and the money is in ALW, not Sondheim. Yes, I am the man who may kill Broadway someday! lol

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#12re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 2:03am

SONDHEIM

(Obviously.)

And Jesus Christ Superstar isn't thought-provoking: it's overblown, pompous and confusing, with gawd-awful lyrics (what was Tim Rice on when he was writing them?). Take it from someone who played an Apostle.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

bronxboundexpress
#13re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 2:27am

One thing is true. SUPERSTAR is great great great rock music. Period.

zaneyb3000
#14re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 2:27am

Sondheim.

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#15re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 2:31am

You must remember the controversy that SUPERSTAR caused when it first appeared. There was something of an uproar because Jesus was portrayed as "just a man" for the first time, with the authors writing from Judas' point of view. Sure, in hindsight it's all pretty harmless but the show's impact at the time was amazing, causing people to react very emotionally to the whole concept.

commasplice
#16re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 2:37am

I actually have a question not directly related to the Sondheim/Lloyd Webber debate (I haven't heard enough ALW to have an informed opinion).. what is Jesus Christ Superstar rated? My 11 year old cousin got the DVD (new version) as a Christmas gift tonight (not from me), but when I looked it up on IMDB.com, the main page says it's rated R, but the "DVD Details" page says it's rated G. Those are two extremes, and I'm just wondering which one is right.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#17re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 2:40am

I believe that when it was released, ratings were rare, and not as enforced as they are now. If I recall correctly, it's G.

bronxboundexpress
#18re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 2:43am

You have to figure out if the the DVD is the movie or the stage production. There are two versions. The movie is rated G and the stage production is rated R which I think must be a mistake because I don't think there is anything R about either though I do not even believe in censorship at all so I may be the wrong person to judge.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#19re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 7:00am

Why not like both? Webber is great and Sondheim is great. Oh, and yes Webber has written simplistic works in the past but have you heard Aspects of Love, Woman in White, and to some extent Evita? Not every single Sondheim song is complex either. Granted, his music in general is more complex than Webber but Webber's is more complex than others that have polluted the broadway stage the last few years.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#20re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 7:17am

As Mattio answered, there's plenty of room for both. ALW has been known to write some great musical theatre scores and a whole lot of garbage too. Sondheim is responsible for a lot of the most genius music AND lyrics in theatre but, forgive my saying so, has also written some pretty bad (or at least misconceived) crap. ALW and Sondheim aren't what's wrong with Broadway and should both be seen as good things when we get them. With all the dreck on the boards nowadays, even Starlight Express and Anyone Can Whistle are seeming like not such bad ideas.

EDIT: I never answered the question, did I? As far as personal pereference, I'm more often inclined to listen to Sondheim. But that's not to say I never come home exhausted and put on a little Sunset or JCS to calm the nerves.

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

Updated On: 12/25/04 at 07:17 AM

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
#21re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 7:22am

Your original post implies that people who like Sondheim are smarter than people who like Webber in my opinion. While I fall into the Sondheim camp myself, I find the idea that you can only like one or the other ignorant. That's like asking if you like pop music or classical in my opinion. To me it sounds like you've just given a slap in the face to over half the board. (Maybe I am reading into it.) I love variety when it comes to music. While I love the complex, the simple can also speaks volumes.

My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
Updated On: 12/25/04 at 07:22 AM

iluvtheatertrash
#22re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 8:14am

How in God's name can you say ALW does not provide intellect? His stories take a lot of thought and maturity. I didn't appreciate the stage version of POTO because frankly, I just was too immature.

I prefer Sondheim but even Webber bashers can admit the intellect, maturity and beauty of his work.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#23re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 8:15am

Gunn, that is exactly how I took it. So, because I like Webber I have no intelligence. Wel I wud haf 2 desagre! But, for those that wondered about my comment yesterday on the "Is America readey for Movie Musicals" thread.......it is because of crap like the original question that was asked on this board.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#24re: Sondheim or Webber?
Posted: 12/25/04 at 8:22am

iluvtheatertrash, I agree. Like I said yesterday on that thread, today we have musicals that are based on pop music that would appeal to 15 year olds (not every musical, but you know....). While webber has that one or two songs that are popular, the story is what draws a lot of people in (like me). If it was just a dumb musical with good music, I would probably like it but not be on threads like this defending him. I mean, he did a mystery/thriller on stage that actually made people go "OMG" at the twist ending (Woman in White). He did a musical that uses Soccer as a metaphor for the protestant/catholic violence in Ireland (Beautiful Game). He took a story about Jesus and made a Rock Opera out of it and took a lot of crap for it from protestors, bombers, and such (Jesus Christ Superstar). Yes, he has done musicals like CATS that people make fun of all the time, but the thing is he did something that no one else would have done and I have respect for him because of that.

Videos