pixeltracker

Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments- Page 2

Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#25re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 8:24am

Oh come on! Everyone records things...

Besides, I thought that the company producing the show was able to record a copy of their show for their records...

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#26re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 8:38am

Not as often as we would like. And performers are sensitive about approving recordings of events which might be under rehearsed and leave them looking less than their best. Actors Equity has been arguing the issue of recorded theatre for decades which is why these things aren't freely available.

Feodor Sverdlov
#27re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 8:46am

There have beeen quite a few over the years. I'll stick with the standing ovations. The most that I can recall were 3 numbers in "My Fair Lady" that each got standing ovations "The Rain In Spain", "I Could Have Danced All Night" and "Get Me To The Church On Time" (now, if you've only seen the film, you might wonder why; but believe me, the excitement of these numbers on stage has been unsurpassed).

There was a standing ovation after "I'm Flying", in "Peter Pan" with Sandy Duncan that was pretty exciting.

"Chapter 54, Number 1909" stopped the show, all 5 times I saw "Seesaw". Two of the times that I saw the show, "It's Not Where You Start" also got standing ovations.

scooter3843

rlbgbc Profile Photo
rlbgbc
#28re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 9:14am

Angela Lansbury making her first entrance in the MAME revival of 1983. Gooch and Patrick had finished "St. Bridget" in front of the Manhattan drop, the drop flies out, and we're in Mame's Beekman Place apartment, complete with spiral staircase stage right.

The trumpet cue comes, and out comes Lansbury in her gold bugle bead pajamas, toting her bugle.

The place went nuts for 5 minutes. And it occurred to me that THIS was what it was like to see a mega-Broadway star make her entrance in a signature role in one of the legendary shows. It made the hair on my arms stand up. And when she finally ripped into "It's Today", it was even better.

PleaseChangeMe
#29re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 9:24am

I also agree with Dreamgirls. Holliday's take is just so forceful, so hurtful, so everything. She IS Effie. White on the concert recording made me cry. And not the good crying.

broadwayalto01 Profile Photo
broadwayalto01
#30re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 9:56am

I have two actually...

Wicked- Stephen Schwartz write such amazing music.. The entire score in Wicked is amazing...

The Secret Garden- Lily's Eyes... This was actually in our College's production.. The two guys singing this song did so amazing.. Every Night for a two week run was a standing ovation.. It was so amazing ! There aren't enough words to describe the feelings that everyone had during that moment...

Life is like a patio door, you never know which side is open... and then you run into the glass.... ~Connie and Carla

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#31re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 10:59am

Margo - I witnessed almost the identical reaction when I saw Dreamgirls, but with Fuschia Walker on tour in Houston. At the top of the show, they announced Jennifer would not be performing (her mother had just died) and about 25 people walked out of the orchestra section to get a refund. They don't know what they missed. When Fuschia sang And I'm Not Telling You, she received seven ovations throughout the song and a standing ovation at the end. Several people rushed down the ailes with arms outstretched. I had never seen anything like it. I honestly don't see how Jennifer could have been any better.

The first time I saw The Lion King, Circle of Life received a standing ovation. It was the first time I have ever seen an opening number receive a standing ovation. It's probably the most memorable opening of any show I've seen.

The other show-stopping moment I witnessed was the final performance of The Beautiful Game in London. At the end of an amazing performance of Our Kind of Love, the audience erupted into cheers that literally stopped the show and refused to subside until the actress acknowledged the reponse and took a rightly deserved bow.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

iluvtheatertrash
#32re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 11:45am

Tonya Pinkins' performance of 'Lott's Wife'. I had seen it on a Saturday evening and then again the very next day at the matinee. Her reception Saturday was fabulous but Sunday shocked me. At the close of the song, the audience jumped to their feet yelling and hollering. I remember sitting next to a crowd of women screaming, "Amen, girly!" and the like. It went on for a few minutes until Tonya broke to thank the audience (without words, just physically, bringing her hands together in prayer and gratefulness). Such a breathtaking performance.

And just recently - Maureen McGovern singing 'Days of Plenty' in act 2 of LITTLE WOMEN. She brought the show to a dead halt as Sutton Foster stood on stage trying to bring herself back together to sing and the whole audience, it seemed, was sniffling and searching for tissues.

And, believe it or not, Liz McCartney (correct if I'm wrong on the name) as Big Sue in TABOO. Brought the audience to their feet DURING 'Talk Amongst Yourselves' and had a good long hearty applause afterwards.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#33re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 11:49am

I witnessed standing o's for Glenn Close's Norma Desmond after With One Look in Sunset Boulevard. But it was more deserved for the vocal prowess of Betty Buckley and Elaine Paige...

Janki Profile Photo
Janki
#34re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 12:01pm

Leigh Zimmerman's "When You Got It, Flaunt It" and Nathan Lane's "Betrayed" in The Producers....I was speechless....ab fab! Eastwickian, agree about Maria in "WOE"....and she also gives me shivers in "The Woman In White", even though this is no favorite!!

Popular...You're gonna be Popuular....;)

Lifeoftheparty2 Profile Photo
Lifeoftheparty2
#35re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 12:12pm

my favorite "show stopping" moment was not at a broadway show, but it was at idinas concert at the zipper. it was right after she told us a story about her sister and then idina started crying and proceeded to sing a song she wrote for her sister. she sang that song with so much power and emotion, it was such an awesome song. i mean obviously she didnt stop the show because it was only like a half hour into the gig, but thats one of the highlights of the night that i loved.

*Always be a first rate version of yourself, instead of a second rate version of someone else* -Judy Garland

#36re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 12:30pm

As one of those who was standing on my seat, I must second Margo's account of the Dreamgirls experience. I would add that, since this is about show-stopping moments, that experience was literally show-stopping because there wasn't supposed to be an applause break. The concept of Dreamgirls (by the brilliant Michael Bennett) was for it to be a 'cinematic' experience. Therefore, scenes and songs flowed overlappingly into each other. The reaction to Ms. Holiday's rendition of 'And I am Telling You' made that momentum impossible to continue - so the show was litterally 'stopped' according to the audiences wishes.

Gpvegas
#37re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 12:43pm

I witness a few of these. There were a few during Harvey's last performance in Hairspray. Also, Raul received a Standing O after Petrified when I saw Taboo last December. Also, for me the first time I saw defying gravity back in July.

ElTico68 Profile Photo
ElTico68
#38re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 1:04pm

Well... I've seen several "famous people" showstoppers (most memorable: Tyne Daly in "Gypsy" stopped the show a couple of times), but the most memorable happened in a local production (Seattle) of "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum". The guy playing Pseudolus has a pretty lame line about the the body snatcher's body being snatched, just kind of a throw away line, really, but someone in the audience groaned, and he just looked right at him and mouthed "I don't write this sh*t", and it doesn't sound as funny as all that, but his delivery was so perfect that the audienced laughed and stopped the show for a couple of minutes. Needless to say, all bets were off from that point forward for the rest of the show.

Happy, smile! Sad, frown! Use the corresponding face with the corresponding emotion! - Kate (Meg Ryan), French Kiss

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#39re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 1:16pm

This experience was from the ballet, but nonetheless a showstopper. Year 1995, American Ballet Theatre's production of Don Quixote. The male lead was danced by then soloist, Angel Corella. I had never seen him dance before since he had just joined ABT that season. From the moment he set foot on the stage the evening was absolutely electric!! His dancing at that time wasn't as refined as it is now, but his energy and stage presence were magnificent. At the conclusion of his final dance in the third act, the cheers from the audience resembled those only heard at raucous sporting events. It seemed so out of place for the Metropolitan Opera House, but at that performance it was appropriate. I went with a friend of mine, so I was happy that I wasn't there to experience this by myself. I was so wound up that I could not sleep that night. The experience was unbelieveable. To this day I have never experienced anything quite like that. As a dancer, Angel has matured so much since then, but he continues to dazzle and amaze those who watch him dance.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

pattifan2
#40re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 2:58pm

For me it would have to be Patti's final performance in 'Sunset'. Loads of 'showstopping' moments - the first of which was the set breaking down just before her entrance! However, when she did finally descend that staircase the audience went nuts - immediate standing ovation which went on forever. So much so that Patti had to hold up her hand and motion for everyone to be quiet as she couldn't get out her first line! Every number in fact stopped the show but perhaps the most exhilarating was after 'As If We Never Said Goodbye' - the cast onstage even applauded. The ovation went on and on..a truly magical night at the theatre.

...fragment of the day...

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#41re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 3:14pm

the last performance of SEUSSICAL with Cathy Rigby. Ad-libs about the Weisslers, applause for Maizie that wouldn't let her continue...really amazing, particularly for a show that not many "groupies" seemed to like.

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

#42re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 3:19pm

I'll also mention Hugh Jackman singing Once Before I Go, which I believe much more often than not got a standing O before the final number. And from some among us very lucky to have attended the final performance, I understand the response was overwhelming.

Gothampc
#43re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 3:19pm

Faith Prince singing "Holding To The Ground" in Falsettoland at the Lortel. Perfect combination of actress and song. Ms. Prince has gone on to be more of a comedic actress, but she definitely has the ability to sell a dramatic song.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#44re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 3:27pm

Oh yes. What would Larry Gelbart and Burt Shevelove know about writing funny material. The actor's ad lib in the local Seattle production of "Forum" is way funnier.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#45re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 5:03pm

Jennifer Holiday: "And I Am Telling You"
Elaine Stritch: "The Ladies Who Lunch"
Mary McCarty and OC of Follies: "Who's That Woman?"
Dorothy Loudon: "Fifty Percent"
Angela Lansbury: "Rose's Turn"

#46re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 5:15pm

Although not my favorite, I must admit that Andrea McArdle brought down the house with Tomorrow during Annie.

AdamJ Profile Photo
AdamJ
#47re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 5:19pm

"In His Eyes" Eder and the other chick at Jekyll and Hyde. Knocked my socks off.

<<<<< How cute was Johnny T in High School? No, you can't ask how I got that picture :-P

#48re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 5:25pm

Alice Ripely in Company at the Kennedy Center...She ate that role up and was spectacular. Genious comic timing. Extended applause, after her first "Not getting married today" and by the end, the place went nuts.

Raul in SITPWG also at Kennedy Center. At the end of ACT I, no one could even move after "Sunday", and people were practically in pieces, moving like zombies at intermission, having been so moved. And, at the end of Act II, just as the last note hit, someone in the audience let out such a heartwrenching sob that perfectly captured the moment and the feeling of the entire audience. We were wrecks...elated, but mere puddles on the floor.

That whole weekend (Sweeney, SIPTWG and Company) was the most magical experience, surpassing any one Broadway trip.

logan30
#49re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
Posted: 1/4/05 at 9:55pm

Jennifer Holliday in DREAMGIRLS (And Am I Telling You...)
Tyne Daly & Bernadette Peters in GYPSY (Rose's Turn)
Hugh Jackman in THE BOY FROM OZ (I am not the boy next door)
Glenn Close & Betty Buckley in SUNSET BLVD (As if we never said goodybe)
Patti LuPone & cast EVITA (A New Argentina)
Bebe Neuwirth in CHICAGO (All That Jazz)
Stephen Spinella & Ellen MacLaughlin in ANGELS IN AMERICA (Greetings Prophet)
Len Cariou in SWEENEY TODD (Ephiphany)
Len Cariou & Angela Lansbury in SWEENEY TODD (A Little Priest)
The Original Broadway Cast in PACIFIC OVERTURES (Someone in a Tree)
Kate Nelligan & Edward Herrman in PLENTY (the confrontation scene in Act II)
The Original Cast of LES MIZ (One Day More)
Tonya Pinkins in CAROLINE, OR CHANGE (Lot's Wife)
Irene Ryan, John Rubinstein & cast of PIPPIN (Just No Time at All)
Michael Crawford in THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (The Music of the Night)
Linda Lavin in BROADWAY BOUND (The George Raft monologue)
and
The entire of the cast of THE LIFE AND ADVENTURES OF NICHOLAS NICKLEBY in practically every other scene of the play