#0Fav Alan Menkin Show?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 7:52am

Mine Is Hunchback

or Pokahontas

divacathe Profile Photo
divacathe
#1re: Fav Alan Menkin Show?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 10:25am

Definately Wierd Romance, if you've never heard of it it's because the rights were pulled...but you should definately get, and learn the music...it's amazing...

"Love is stupid and it bleeds, it satisfies my needs, I think it's wonderful..." ~Bill Finn is God!

POLisPOL Profile Photo
POLisPOL
#2re: Fav Alan Menkin Show?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 11:36am

King david it's amazing. I was in the "the 1000 voices" of tim rice, and jerome pradon sung "saul has slain his thousands" with a chorus of 1000 people, and that was amazing!

also, Hunchback, specially the german stage version.

Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!

Anne5122 Profile Photo
Anne5122
#3re: Fav Alan Menkin Show?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 11:50am

Beauty and the Beast is my ultimate fav. I got into Broadway/theater stuff because of his music, so I owe him a lot and I'm a big fan.

Animated wise, Pocahontas and Hunchback was overlooked and wasn't given the attention it deserved. It's pretty powerful stuff for an animated kids movie.

The phrase "working mother" is redundant. -Jane Sellman-

Joshua488
#4re: Fav Alan Menkin Show?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 1:16pm

divacathe, are you sure that the rights were pulled on WEIRD ROMANCE? A professional theater here in CT did it last year in 2003 and they included two songs that weren't included before. Here's the Playbill article:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/82848.html

By the way, the theater is in my town... it's like, ten seconds from my house. I did a world premiere musical, REBELS, there last season.

Also, my favorite Alan Menken show is LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS. Updated On: 1/5/05 at 01:16 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#5re: Fav Alan Menken Show?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 1:26pm

I'm a spelling nerd, please don't kill me. It's MenkEn.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

B.B. Wolf
#6re: Fav Alan Menkin Show?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 1:43pm

Hunchback is brilliant. If you haven't listened to it recently, GO BUY the album. Ah...remember back when Stephen Schwartz wrote lyrics like those?
"But you never can run from nor hide what you've done from the eyes..."
"A figure whose clutches were iron as much as the bells..."
And the Heaven's Light/Hellfire crossover lyrics are F-ing brilliant!! Man I love this music! If they would just un-Disney-fy the ending and make it REMOTELY closer to the book, this show would rule all on a Broadway stage.

Word. Word, indeed.

BSoBW2
#7re: Fav Alan Menkin Show?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 1:46pm

LSOH - especially after my dentist (who knows Alan's uncle or something ) told me about the back story...

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#8re: Fav Alan Menkin Show?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 1:51pm

either Hunchback or Hercules.

also love Just Around the Riverbend from Pocahontas.

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

seymour krelborn Profile Photo
seymour krelborn
#9re: Fav Alan Menkin Show?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 2:35pm

I'm going to have to say it's a tie between Little Shop and Weird Romance. On that note, I don't think the rights were pulled becasue a community theater did it in my area last season.

divacathe Profile Photo
divacathe
#10re: Fav Alan Menkin Show?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 3:06pm

wow, they must have re-released them! That's awesome. I know they were still pulled in 2000. Awesome, I wanna do that show now! haha, it's my favorite!:) Thanks Guys!

"Love is stupid and it bleeds, it satisfies my needs, I think it's wonderful..." ~Bill Finn is God!

BroadwayBaby21
#11re: Fav Alan Menkin Show?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 3:19pm

Newsies is my favorite, with Little Shop and Hercules runners up.

-If you don't like your fate, change it. You are your own master.- Aida

JBSinger
#12re: Fav Alan Menken Show?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 3:38pm

Love his more "advanced" stuff (Hunchback, Pocahontas, King David), but I'm a sucker for Little Shop and Mermaid. he's got terrific songs in every show so its hard to pick. I mean, who doesn't want to belt along with "Zero to Hero"?! :)

BroadwayBailey
#13re: Fav Alan Menken Show?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 3:52pm

Definitely a huge fan of King David (who isn't?!?), but I'm going to have to go with Newsies! With Hercules and LSOH vying for second! Menken's the only redeeming thing about recent Disney stuff.

If they take all the things that define what you were and are . . . One more star!

#14re: Fav Alan Menken Show?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 8:33pm

I never listened to his Home on the Range soundtrack re: Fav Alan Menken Show?

I also have never found King David. Weird Romance is VERY underated though.

And I need to get the German Hunchback CD with all the songs from the live version James Lapine staged there (which is being adapted, in English, with the new songs as a planned TV musical!!)

Anyway my fave that's unrecorded though is the first Ashmen/Menken--God Bless You Mr Rosewater. Man this score needs to be recorded--I've heard a demo and live tape and it's fantastic--and the Vonnegut novel works so well on stage. I swear some years back they claimed they would be recording it

E

maybethistime
#15re: Fav Alan Menken Show?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 9:02pm

B&tB, closely followed by Hercules & Wierd Romance (which is AMAZING... it deserves a chance on broadway!)

Mythus
#16re: Fav Alan Menken Show?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 9:05pm

King David - though I'm sure there would be others fighting for the lead if I thought harder.

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#17re: Fav Alan Menken Show?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 9:06pm

Little Shop of Horrors.

Joshua488
#18re: Fav Alan Menken Show?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 9:16pm

seymour krelbourn, where are you located that a theater in your area did WEIRD ROMANCE last season?

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#19re: Fav Alan Menken Show?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 9:19pm

Newsies and Hercules.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Videos