pixeltracker

"Why Should I Change a Thing" from Annie

"Why Should I Change a Thing" from Annie

Dennis2
#0"Why Should I Change a Thing" from Annie
Posted: 2/5/05 at 11:32pm

My community theatre is putting on a production of Annie in a couple of monthes and I was wondering if anyone was familar with the new song for Warbucks. When we were sent the libretto books it had this song added in as an option and we're thinking of doing it.

My question is does anyone have an audio file of the song or a midi for the melody? I want to learn it as soon as possible and I won't be seeing the musical director for a couple of weeks. I am terrible at sight reading, so even if it was a quick unprofessional recording of the song it would still be a huge help. Thanks in advance.

I don't like ice cream

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#1re: 'Why Should I Change a Thing' from Annie
Posted: 2/5/05 at 11:33pm

Isn't that one of the bonus tracks on the remastered ANNIE OBCR?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Dennis2
#2re: 'Why Should I Change a Thing' from Annie
Posted: 2/5/05 at 11:37pm

Unfortunatly it's not, I checked all of the known recordings and it's not out there (I believe the song was added very recently to the show). I was hoping someone could post a link to an audio clip of someone singing it so I could get the tune of it.

I don't like ice cream

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#3re: 'Why Should I Change a Thing' from Annie
Posted: 2/5/05 at 11:42pm

I've never heard of it before then - when does it come into the plot? Why don't you just ask your musical director to pluck it out for you?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#4re: 'Why Should I Change a Thing' from Annie
Posted: 2/5/05 at 11:57pm

Sorry, I don't know of any recordings, but I did find this article about the song...
"Annie" gets a new song Updated On: 2/6/05 at 11:57 PM

Dennis2
#5re: 'Why Should I Change a Thing' from Annie
Posted: 2/6/05 at 12:08am

yeah, all I could find through google were a bunhc of stuff about how the song was added for Anthony Warlow. Interesting, but not very helpful.

I don't like ice cream

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#6re: 'Why Should I Change a Thing' from Annie
Posted: 2/6/05 at 1:19am

I'm sure it will be recorded for the upcoming revival.

ticenewyorkcity Profile Photo
ticenewyorkcity
#7re: 'Why Should I Change a Thing' from Annie
Posted: 2/6/05 at 11:37am

There are no professional recordings of "Why Should I Change A Thing?"...the song that was added for the Austrailian productiong starring Anthony Warlow. The song was also put into the mini-Natn.l tour last year for Conrad John Schuck. The song was really beautiful, although I felt John wasn't singing to his potential. The song fit nicely in the show...however with tons and tons of little kids in the house they aren't exactly into hearing a song like that,...
A song was also added for Nell Carter in the "panned" revival of Annie in 1997. It was called "You Make Me Happy". That song came during the scene when Grace comes to tell Miss. H that Warbucks want's to adopt Annie. The song was just what the lyrics spell....Nell Carter made the producers build a song around her voice or else she wouldn't do the show. Great song but now no one is allowed to do it.
Dan

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#8re: 'Why Should I Change a Thing' from Annie
Posted: 2/6/05 at 12:46pm

Originally in ANNIE, the show was to have opened with ANNIE's parents dropping her off at Ms. Hannigan's doorstep in a basket, leaving the note and locket, and walking away.

THEN the Overture would begin.

THEN the show would start.

I have always liked that opening.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Dennis2
#9re: 'Why Should I Change a Thing' from Annie
Posted: 2/6/05 at 12:58pm

This is going to be a weird, maybe even slightly illeagal question, but does anyone think they could sing and record it and upload it somewhere?

I don't like ice cream

Musetta1957 Profile Photo
Musetta1957
#10re: 'Why Should I Change a Thing' from Annie
Posted: 2/6/05 at 10:58pm

The regional production I saw had the song in it and although it sort of made the very hammy Warbucks VERY suddenly serious, I really liked it.

Don't worry about how it'll sound; it's a simple (but beautiful) melody.

phantom_tenor Profile Photo
phantom_tenor
#11re: 'Why Should I Change a Thing' from Annie
Posted: 2/7/05 at 1:35am

Yeah, it was written for the wonderful Anthony Warlow in the 2001 Melbourne production. Martin Charnin was so impressed (rightly so) with Warlow's voice that he wrote a new song specially for him.

The man is a singing GOD!! not to mention a fabulous actor.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#12re: 'Why Should I Change a Thing' from Annie
Posted: 8/22/07 at 1:46am

I'm bumping this thread because now I'm trying to find a recording of this song. Has it still gone unrecorded?

Wikipedia says that a 30th Anniversary recording is scheduled to be released in September with Marissa O'Donnell as Annie. Can anyone confirm this? Updated On: 8/22/07 at 01:46 AM

Chrissy*J
#13re: 'Why Should I Change a Thing' from Annie
Posted: 8/22/07 at 2:53am

It's true, CATS.

Marissa's mom confirmed it, so did Amanda Balon's mom (Amanda is playing Annie in the non-equity tour that's opening in about a month). There will be songs from Annie AND Annie Warbucks.

I have a recording of Anthony Warlow singing the song, just PM me and I can send it.

Chrissy*J

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#14re: 'Why Should I Change a Thing' from Annie
Posted: 8/22/07 at 3:47am

Far more interestingly, it's my understanding that the 30th anniversary recording is going to feature a number of the unrecorded songs from Annie 2: Miss Hannigan's Revenge, not the score to Annie Warbucks.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

dramarama2 Profile Photo
dramarama2
#15re: 'Why Should I Change a Thing' from Annie
Posted: 8/22/07 at 4:19am

I've seen it performed by Warlow, and all though I can't remember it that well, I remember it being quite a nice number, but not that nessecary (That's why it's optional). Lots of belting! I think it comes near the end of Act 1 where Warlocks gives Annie the new locket. If you're playing or trying out for Warlocks, then the ability to belt (especially in this song) is pretty much a must have.
I did some snooping around and I found a midi. It's not great (well it's a midi!) but it gives you the idea.

http://www.hamienet.com/midi23559.html

A little known fact is that in the original screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth was Pan's FLAByrinth. Hmmmmmmm...glad they changed it.

Videos