First Millie?

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#0First Millie?
Posted: 2/16/05 at 7:22pm

I know Sutton was first supposed to be a Millie understudy, so who was Millie gonna be?

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#1re: First Millie?
Posted: 2/16/05 at 7:24pm

kristin chenoweth did the workshop, so i think her

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

timote316
#2re: First Millie?
Posted: 2/16/05 at 7:24pm

I know Kristin Chenoweth was Millie in workshops, but that is a good question.

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#3re: First Millie?
Posted: 2/16/05 at 7:26pm

It was supposed to be Kristen and then I heard that Idina was even being considered. When that fell through they were thinking of celebrities like Jennifer Love Hewitt (I think that's who it was), but they hired Erin Dilly and then Sutton took over.

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#4re: First Millie?
Posted: 2/16/05 at 7:28pm

I think Darcie Roberts was one of the first people to be millie in one of the first readings...
yea...i couldn't see Kristin Chenoweth as Millie

timote316
#5re: First Millie?
Posted: 2/16/05 at 7:31pm

Erin Dilly, thats who it was. I remember hearing that now.

Yeah, definately can't see Kristin or Idina in the role

commasplice
#6re: First Millie?
Posted: 2/16/05 at 7:33pm

Darcie Roberts did the very first readings, Kristin Chenoweth did the workshops, Erin Dilly was cast for La Jolla but left at the very last minute, and Sutton Foster took over from there.

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#7re: First Millie?
Posted: 2/16/05 at 7:35pm

If you have Kristin's solo CD, "Let Yourself Go", the song "Girl in 14G" was actually written for Millie when Kristin was doing the workshop. It's a great song.

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

MissEmilyArden
#8re: First Millie?
Posted: 2/16/05 at 7:35pm

I've never heard Idina was considered... crazy....
I mean I love Idina, but she is not the bubbly Millie type

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#9re: First Millie?
Posted: 2/16/05 at 7:37pm

I think Kristin would have put on a really unique twist onto it, instead of the regular belty-mezzo ambitioner....but sutton did amazing with this role!

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#10re: First Millie?
Posted: 2/16/05 at 7:37pm

I don't think Idina is the Millie type either. I don't know if it was actually true, someone told me. I have never seen it actually in print from a reliable source, so it could be a rumor.

Updated On: 2/16/05 at 07:37 PM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#11re: First Millie?
Posted: 2/16/05 at 7:40pm

Where would Sutton be now if this didn't happen (granted, the girl is very talented, but it's interesting how everything turned out for her).

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

timote316
#12re: First Millie?
Posted: 2/16/05 at 7:42pm

Very good point Dottie.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#13re: First Millie?
Posted: 2/16/05 at 7:43pm

thats true. if you recall an article on Broadway.com, the director, or was it producer? of Little Women saw a Jo in her portrayl of Millie
but i definately think she would have made it onto broadway another way, she WAS going to be in the ensemble of Wicked, thatm ight have lead to understudying a lead role..dunno, something to ponder

Joshua488
#14re: First Millie?
Posted: 2/16/05 at 7:50pm

Ooh, and it brings up the question:

Sutton Foster as Elphaba or Glinda?

Don't know if it has been asked before, but I don't care enough to start a whole thread on it.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#15re: First Millie?
Posted: 2/16/05 at 7:52pm

a good question though. i think shes too cute to be elphie, you know? i mean, her DG would be AMAZING but ive always seen her as a glinda.....

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#16re: First Millie?
Posted: 2/16/05 at 7:53pm

I can't see her as either. And I can't see either of them as millie!

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#17re: First Millie?
Posted: 2/16/05 at 7:55pm

if anyone takes a listen to her song in Billion Dollar Baby (kristin now), I Wasnt Meant to live and Ordinary Life, it shows off her skills, and I think that song really is similar to "Not For the Life of Me"

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#18re: First Millie?
Posted: 2/16/05 at 8:02pm

Yes, the original Millie was supposed to be Erin Dilly. Sutton Foster replaced her when Erin left for another commitment.

Kristin Chenoweth said in an interview that she did the workshops but not to be Millie. She was in the workshop to be Miss Dorothy, but she could not commit to the project.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

marilynrita
#19re: First Millie?
Posted: 2/17/05 at 12:50am

interestingly enough, Susan Egan also did one of the first workshops as well when the project was just getting started right after beauty and the beast

Whatchmacallit Profile Photo
Whatchmacallit
#20re: First Millie?
Posted: 2/17/05 at 12:56am

Its true that Kristin was going to portray Miss Dorothy, but was bumped up to Millie after Charlie Brown. She did a workshop as Millie with Marc Kudisch, and I believe Bee Arthur was Meers.

A man is getting along on the road to wisdom when he begins to realize that his opinion is just an opinion.

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#21re: First Millie?
Posted: 2/17/05 at 2:13am

"Where would Sutton be if this didn't happen?"

One might say the same thing about Brad Oscar or Judy Kaye or Shirley MacLaine. Although talent will always win out, there is a lot to be said for being in the right place at the right time.

Videos