pixeltracker

BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?

BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?

jo
#0BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?
Posted: 12/18/03 at 8:35pm

I've just read this ASSOCIATED PRESS item ( MiamiHerald.com) --

Posted on Thu, Dec. 18, 2003

'Boy From Oz' to Shut Down for Vacation
Associated Press

NEW YORK - The show won't go on while Hugh Jackman takes his vacation from "The Boy From Oz."

The Broadway musical will shut down Feb. 1-6 and March 28-April 2 while its hardworking star takes some time off, Joe Perrotta, a spokesman for the show, said Thursday.

Jackman, who plays gay entertainer Peter Allen in the musical, hasn't missed a performance since the show opened at the Imperial Theatre Oct. 16.

"The Boy From Oz" has been doing strong business at the Imperial, setting a house record there last week with a gross of $903,803. It was the third week in a row the musical has broken the house record.

So, it looks like Kevin Spirtas or John Hill will not be getting their chances yet to play Peter Allen on stage.

Jo

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#1re: BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?
Posted: 12/18/03 at 8:37pm

Now there's a precedent ...

Hello Gorgeous
#2re: re: BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?
Posted: 12/18/03 at 8:41pm

Wow that's crazyness

~*Christa*~ "Don't ya wanna be the life of the party?" Idina Menzel, THE WILD PARTY

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#3re: re: re: BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?
Posted: 12/18/03 at 8:51pm

They are smart. They know the show is Hugh.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

thirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
#4re: BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?
Posted: 12/18/03 at 8:51pm

HUGH JACKMAN

The Boy From Oz

No one can follow him. I saw the show to see him. I want to see him again, wherever and whenever I can. He's that good.

Roscoe
#5re: re: BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?
Posted: 12/18/03 at 9:07pm

Well well well, that's very interesting. It sounds like they have no illusions about the attraction of that show. Kind of refreshing, actually. Don't bother starting any threads about anyone following Jackman, because the show will probably (and rightly) close when his contract is up, unless they can get him to extend.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

tkts
#6re: re: re: BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?
Posted: 12/18/03 at 9:35pm

Oh well, I'll be in NYC March 30-April 4th. Kind of narrows down my choices of shows.

Cake or death?

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#7re: re: re: BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?
Posted: 12/18/03 at 9:40pm

Anyone who thinks it's crazy should ask him or herself: Would YOU pay a hundred bucks to see his understudy in this otherwise dreary show? I also think: if Jackman must ever miss, no Mugleston will save this day, Citizens of broadway, on their knees; the show will simply go dark that night. Those standbys, God bless 'em, will never strut the Imperial as Peter Allen. It's basically a sustained concert with supporting players -- uh, wait - that was THE ACT starring Liza Minelli, wasn't it? Peter's supporting player. What goes around (yawn) comes around.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#8re: re: re: re: BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?
Posted: 12/18/03 at 9:54pm

I think it's ridiculous. I mean, I love Hugh in the role, but I'm all for giving understudies/up and coming actors a chance to shine.
When Maureen Moore filled in for Bernadette Peters (not just when she was sick, but when she was on vacation as well), sure, half the house was empty; but the people who did go really seemed to enjoy Maureen's performance. I know I enjoyed her in the role. Was she better than Bernadette? No way; but it was interesting to see someone else in the role.

Producers would really rather lose all of the ticket sales for those weeks rather than risk having only half of an audience?

Audiences wouldn't have to pay $100. For Gypsy they lowered the prices when Bernadette was on vacation.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
Updated On: 12/18/03 at 09:54 PM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#9re: re: re: re: re: BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?
Posted: 12/18/03 at 10:17pm

Theatrebaby: You're comparing GYPSY, one of the greatest musical in the American theater -- with BOY FROM OZ? I might watch Jane Doe in GYPSY; the brilliant show is the star. But BOY FROM OZ is a pedestrian piece of lurid bio-drama, pumped up with songs that don't fit (because they weren't written to) and characters that are paper thin or caricatures. "Giving understudies a chance" is swell -- if it's for free. The Broadway theater is a business, after all, not a place to audition people. These savvy producers recognize that paying customers expect something for their (big, big) money.

RobbO Profile Photo
RobbO
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?
Posted: 12/18/03 at 10:31pm

i've been to the show and i am going again this sunday ( i bought the second set of tickets back when tickets first became available), so i know the only reason to see the show is because of hugh jackman. the show is not one of my favorites and i bought the cast recording (which grates on my nerves - a first for me) and the music is not so hot either. so the only reason to see the show again is for him. if he's not there, neither am i.

XING
PED
Updated On: 12/18/03 at 10:31 PM

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?
Posted: 12/18/03 at 10:35pm

I really liked the show, and not just because of Hugh Jackman. So perhaps I'm in the minority, but that's how I feel. I don't think he's the "Entire" show. I enjoyed the entire cast.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

thirdrowcenter
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?
Posted: 12/18/03 at 10:39pm

Actually, I did enjoy the show regardless of the fact I was so swept away by Hugh Jackman. I'm seeing it again in July...I couldn't get first row seats till then.

RobbO Profile Photo
RobbO
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?
Posted: 12/18/03 at 10:40pm

i just hope you don't get stuck behind the pit leader like my ex did. boy was that distracting. front row, schumt row!

XING
PED

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?
Posted: 12/18/03 at 10:44pm

they are smart. I know the u/s's are wonderful BUT, producers prob. know how many refunds they would have to give out if Hugh was out and the show did go on..it's worth-it to just shut down.

thirdrowcenter
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?
Posted: 12/18/03 at 10:48pm

Robbo I know the seat you are speaking of. I was thinking to myself during the show, that I was glad I wasn't sitting behind the orchestra leader. My seats are not directly center so I think I'm okay.

BrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?
Posted: 12/18/03 at 10:49pm

Yes, they are smart. Hugh keeps the show open.

RobbO Profile Photo
RobbO
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?
Posted: 12/18/03 at 10:49pm

i was one seat over from it and i tell ya, it was annoying as hell. it's my curse, i always have an amazon woman in front of me or a talker behind me.

XING
PED

liaghatgals
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BoyFromOz to close down du
Posted: 12/18/03 at 10:59pm

I have AA113 for Jan. 3. Where is it in relation to the conducor?

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#19re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?
Posted: 12/18/03 at 11:02pm

This is unreal. Poor Fender #1. I'm sure we'll read all about this one! Well, look on the bright side, the entire cast can all go on vacation together, just like that trip to the Poconos!!

PS I am never going to be a Featured Actor like Mister Matt.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
Updated On: 12/18/03 at 11:02 PM

RobbO Profile Photo
RobbO
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?
Posted: 12/18/03 at 11:21pm

liag, you should be fine. my seat was something like 106 or 108-ish. so you're over a bit and out of the way of the man's head!!

XING
PED

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#21re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BoyFromOz to close down during Hugh's vacation schedules?
Posted: 12/18/03 at 11:25pm

We can stick broadwayguy2 behind the man's head. Sorry, RobbO.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BoyFromOz to c
Posted: 12/19/03 at 6:10am

To Auggie

"Songs that don't fit " ? - " All I Wanted Was The Dream" seemed like it was written with Judy Garland in mind. " I Go To Rio" summed up Peter Allens life. Believe you are dead wrong here. My wife , mother in law, brother in law & his mistress loved the show as did everyone else there

Poster Emeritus

BwayTheatre11
#23BoyFromOz to c
Posted: 12/19/03 at 8:36am

I am sure the show is great with Hugh, but people are so selfish...all they want it Hugh! What if the u/s are just as good? Nobody knows...

CCM '10!

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#24re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BoyFromOz to c
Posted: 12/19/03 at 8:57am

Mr. Roxy: Re "OZ," we agree on a couple of things. Elsewhere on this board, I make specific mention of how perfectly "All I Wanted..." captures the bittersweet, regret-filled Garland of middle age. I also feel the child's version of "Name In Lights" works wonderfully, as I posted. But sorry, "I Go To Rio" is a dandy finale, a la a concert--but summing up Peter's life? "When my baby smiles at me I go to Rio, and I am free at last?" Uh, the marachas metaphor is lost on me, especially when accompanied by the camp moment of the season: Garland and "dead" company descending-from-heaven in chic William Ivy Long ghost costumes. Ditto, on the act one closer, "Boy Next Door." A man who has already shtupped Garland's husband, married and left Liza, is pretty damned worldly--and self-aware. He has never been "The Boy Next Door," so as a sexual/show biz epiphany, the lyric is toothless. And to underscore my point, the song used to be elsewhere in the show (first position?) They've shuffled them all around in previews, shoe-horning them in where they "best" work. Fowler trying to make Melissa Manchester's "Don't Cry Out Loud" the Freudian explanation for Peter's smile-as-your-heart-breaks MO was a particular strain.

But I don't want a contentious debate about this show. I totally understand its success. Hey, I stood and cheered too at the end. Hugh's work got to me. I was truly moved by the little boy reuniting with Peter at the end, for that child-in-the-man moment. It really works. But the seams show throughout the evening; even with Hugh, I don't think the show well crafted, or that musical numbers are organic. For my money, the "Mama Mia" syndrom should be abandoned after this.

Updated On: 12/19/03 at 08:57 AM

Videos