pixeltracker

The " I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was insipid,self referential and had an elementary score" thread

The " I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was insipid,self referential and had an elementary score" thread

broadwaygiant19122 Profile Photo
broadwaygiant19122
My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#1re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was insipid,self referential and had an elementary score' thread
Posted: 2/27/05 at 9:54am

Are you kidding? How could you walk out of Avenue Q? The only time I've heard of people walking out of Avenue Q was when they brought their smallchildren!

elphieisperky
#2re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was insipid,self referential and had an elementary score' thread
Posted: 2/27/05 at 9:57am

Wow. That's amazing. A lot of people I know have seen it, and I really want to, but that's interesting that you walked out.

TheGaIsSilent Profile Photo
TheGaIsSilent
#3re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was
Posted: 2/27/05 at 9:59am

Wow. I'd say the problem was you, not the score. Sorry.

JOHN LITHGOW I just realized, your last name is Butz! Both "Norbert" AND "Butz" are in your name! You must have gotten picked on a lot as a child!

broadwaygiant19122
#4re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was

I kid you not. i wanted to like it, i mean all the buzz I had heard, i finally got around to seeing it, but that wasnt the case. The cast had pronounced pauses for laughs, it was all just so overrated. Best score , best musical. how could this beat out Tesori, Schwartz?

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#5re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was insipid,self referential and had an elementary score' thread

At first I thought this was a joke thread, but I guess not..
Hey, everyone's entitled to their own opinions..Although I LOVE, obsessively LOVE, adore! the show, I can totally understand why people would leave it..It's different, and it can get offensive, but if you understand where all the actors are coming from, and the background story of creating Avenue Q from the creators, it's more indepth than just this adult themed puppet show.

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

broadwaygiant19122
#6re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was
Posted: 2/27/05 at 10:00am

Why would you say the problem is me? If i found the score lacking, thats an opinion, not a reflection on me. isn't that what this board is about?

Urban
#7re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was
Posted: 2/27/05 at 10:02am

I have to admit I have always wondered what brain dead people would ignore all the warning signs stating 'this is not a childrens show' and actually bring children. I guess some people are just born idiots. (This is commmenting on My Fair Lady's comment)

I have to admit, the original poster is the first person I have ever heard that doesn't like the show. I, like many other people adore it. But everybody has a right to his or her opinion, and I respect that. Updated On: 2/27/05 at 10:02 AM

TheGaIsSilent
#8re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was
Posted: 2/27/05 at 10:07am

broadwaygiant,

I said that, because like Urban, you're the first person I've ever heard of who didn't at least LIKE the score. The show itself is another thing, and I can understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, but the songs are VERY strong.

JOHN LITHGOW I just realized, your last name is Butz! Both "Norbert" AND "Butz" are in your name! You must have gotten picked on a lot as a child!

broadwaygiant19122
#9re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was
Posted: 2/27/05 at 10:10am

Okay, important distinction, thanks. I definitely didnt like the show, and while I felt the score was well-composed, as in nothing extraneous., it just didnt seem to be the work of art that CoC was , etc.. Now before someone jumps on my back, I understand every score is not intended to be a work of art, blah blah blah, but for all the hooplah associated with Ave Q., you should be walking away with more.

TheGaIsSilent
#10re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was
Posted: 2/27/05 at 10:12am

LOL, to each his own. I really disliked CoC, so all's fair in love and Tonys.

GirlforTartaglia
#11re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was
Posted: 2/27/05 at 10:12am

Possibly people don't like the score (even if it is solid and good, which it is) because it's so different..practically no emsemble and puppet voices..

I think it deserved to win the Tony..maybe it wasn't as hyped up as Wicked or as expensive, but the actors in it are SO dedicated and obviously love what they're doing (I'm not saying the Wicked actors don't either, but I have yet to hear "the entire cast of WIcked was so nice!"..I've heard it multiple times for the Ave Q cast)

Let's not say it's anyone's problem for not liking the show..People are allowed to have different opinions. :)

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

broadwaygiant19122
#12re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was
Posted: 2/27/05 at 10:14am

Yeah, ive read and heard what seems like everything out there: regarding the roots of the show and the humble attitudes displayed by the cast. I dont think that factors into the show quality though. I am all for different, progressive theater as well. I gues s it just comes down to that unfortunate adage: different strokes for different folks.

GirlforTartaglia
#13re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was
Posted: 2/27/05 at 10:16am

I actually didn't like Avenue Q at first..like when I saw "It sucks to me be" performed at the Tonys, I was like "Wow, Broadway is really sinking low to be putting this crap on" but then I bought the CD and I started getting more of a sense of the whole show and I love it...I guess if you don't like it/love it going into the show (not just known about it from the hype) you can be disappointed)..

MissNY
#14re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was
Posted: 2/27/05 at 10:43am

It's surprising that you didn't like it only because you are the first person I have ever heard that didn't enjoy it. I'm not a huge fan of the cast recording, the lyrics are hysterical but its not the kinda thing that you can really just listen to on repeat (at least I can't). But I adore seeing the show. The cast is so talented and it's something so different. Seeing how they manipulate the puppets and how their facial expressions match up. Plus there is such energy. And the fact that the cast is so incredibly nice, may not make them more telented (not that they need more talent), but it does give you more of an "emotional investment" when you watch them. Besides, I could literally just stare at Barrett for 2 hours straight, and with John..yeah no problem there either :) Updated On: 2/27/05 at 10:43 AM

RagtimeRay
#15re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was
Posted: 2/27/05 at 10:49am

Sure, everyone is entitled to their opinions about any show. We're all agreed. But it sounds like broadwaygiant went into Q with strong memories of Caroline, or Change. It happens. Each show needs to be viewed on its own merits. As I read this thread, I understand that broadwaygiant still hasn't seen Avenue Q... only half of it. Perhaps seeing the other half would have given a more complete picture. I'd like to think of broadwaygiant as a closeted Q-fan, who'll burst out of the closet after seeing the second act one of these days. re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was

Ray is the author of the Brad Frame mystery series, and two suspense novels. He is also the author of a one man play based on Ben Franklin. http://www.rayflynt.com

filmgirl325 Profile Photo
filmgirl325
#16re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was
Posted: 2/27/05 at 10:57am

I agree...I don't feel that anyone should make harsh judgements about a show until you've seen the whole thing. I bought the cd before seeing the show and fell in love with it. A week and a half later I was there to see the show. I'm a big Q fan and I'm just suprised that someone wouldn't like it. I know everyone is entitled to there own opinion..but I feel that the book and score are both very strong. The cast is amazing on and off the stage, and it is the most unique and funny thing on broadway right now...ahh that felt good!

"It's the smile you smile that counts, happy thoughts in large amounts, any problem you can trounce, you can bounce right back."--Donald O'Connor

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#17re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was
Posted: 2/27/05 at 11:07am

HEHE...when i go to new york next week one of the girls that's going w/ us is super religious (the annoying kind) and is very closed minded (kinda anti gay, anti sex, anti EVERYTHING normal) and it's gonna be funny to see her walk out of Ave Q, Wicked, Forbidden Broadway, and RENT....hehe...i'm gonna giggle

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#18re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was
Posted: 2/27/05 at 11:18am

Broadwaygiant, you're not the first person to say they didn't care for "Avenue Q," at least that I know. One of my drama teachers couldn't stand it. He said it got hyped SO much, that when he went, he just like, "What the hell is this nonsense." Some of the things I've had questions about, he said weren't justified at all. I don't understand if it's a puppet show, why are we seeing the humans? Why isn't this just a show without puppets, or why isn't it JUST a puppet show w/ no humans on stage. PLEASE people, don't get me wrong. I enjoy the OBCR very much. I do think it's rather simplistic and cute, nothing great (I do prefer the music in "Caroline or Change" and "Wicked") but that's just my opinion. I have wanted to see it for a while, and still plan on it. The last time I posted about "Avenue Q," I got BLASTED about my intelligence and the way I look (talk about strange). So, I think everyone should be able to voice their opinion on a public board without threat of insult to their intellect and their physical.

-Vincent

BROADWAYFAN3
#19re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was
Posted: 2/27/05 at 11:18am

My partner and I looked at each other at intermission and also walked out.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#20re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was
Posted: 2/27/05 at 11:25am

I can definitely see where the original poster is coming from, but I agree - you can't judge a show based on Act One. While I can certainly understand the Tony Awards for best book and best musical, the best score Tony continues to baffle me. The score is very well crafted and solid, but hardly the best score of the year - especially against CAROLINE OR CHANGE and TABOO. I strongly dislike most of the music and the CD just gives me a headache - it's pretty damn annoying. All in all, I think it's a good show with some nice moments and a talented cast - I hope you give it another try someday.

"How could this beat out Tesori, Schwartz?"

Darling, it's not very hard to beat Steven Schwartz.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#21re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was
Posted: 2/27/05 at 11:30am

I wish you gave me your ticket. SH*T.
This from a woman who waited 18 times to win the lottery.
Ha ha.
I love Avenue Q. Actually it ties with Forbidden Broadway in the love dept. I love it so much. Guess everyone has different tastes.
As a slightly overweight monster, i enjoyed it. Just a tiny bit. Updated On: 2/27/05 at 11:30 AM

#22re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was
Posted: 2/27/05 at 11:32am

Big fan of Avenue Q, but I do understand how somebody can find the score "elementary"... it is, after all, a comedy score. Personally *I* would have voted for it for the "best score" tony because I think the lyrics do a hell of a job of making me laugh. But it's the same reason Producers' score won over Full Monty's, I assume; Producers has a less complex, more amateurish score (with funnier lyrics) than Full Monty, as does Avenue Q have a more "sophomoric" score (with funnier lyrics) than Caroline or Change. So I totally can understand the argument of CoC or Wicked being the better score because the music is more intricate (especially CoC).

That said, you actually *walked out on it* for having not-as-good a score and for being self-referential? It's one thing to dislike a show, it's another to just plain walk out on it. Did you find the humor too crude for your tastes?
I only know one other person who didn't like Avenue Q, and it was because the humor was so crude she couldn't enjoy it. And something like that could turn you off, sure. Or maybe self-referential humor isn't your taste, which I can totally understand (although I highly suggest you don't see Spamalot this season). But you found the score *so* not-up-to-par-of-Tesori that you walked out?

I guess it takes a lot for me to walk out of a show, though.

thirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
#23re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was
Posted: 2/27/05 at 11:32am

I didn't care for Avenue Q but I didn't walk out. There were some entertaining moments and I appreciated the performers.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#24re: The ' I walked out of Avenue Q at intermission because I thought it was
Posted: 2/27/05 at 11:35am

If any of you feel the need to walk out please call me.
I would be happy to sit in your seat!

Videos