pixeltracker

Books or movies that would make great musicals.- Page 2

Books or movies that would make great musicals.

iluvtheatertrash
#25re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 4:28pm

In the Land of Second Chances - by George Shaffner (FABULOUS BOOK!!!)

First Wive's Club - Olivia Goldsmith

Marrying Mom - Olivia Goldsmith

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Broadway_Bound_Star Profile Photo
Broadway_Bound_Star
#26re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 4:30pm

OMG I LOVE THE DEAD POETS SOCIETEY, I think it would make an AWESOME musical.. but I HATE the play that they do in the middle of the movie.. its too..weird

But the movie made me cry...EVIL MOVIE!

trpguyy
#27re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 4:33pm

Yeah, what the hell was Shakespeare thinking, anyway? How dare he write great, weird, literature?

"Clue" was in New York for some time, I believe. The audience voted on an ending, right?

RentBoy86
#28re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 5:25pm

The Westing Game was my favorite book in the 4th grade. I've read it about 3 times. That would make a really cool complex musical. Glamorama or Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis would be awesome. That be a good teenage/rock style musical.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#29re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 5:46pm

Ive always, ALWAYS thought that Gone With The Wind (if done correctly) would be a sweepingly beautiful musical. I mean theres so much that could be done with it. The sets would be phenomenal!

Also: The Lottery Rose would be wonderful.

stylinbohemian
#30re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 6:05pm

Oh I have to agree with the Gone With the Wind that could become such a beautiful musical....to the Harry Potter while Im a harry potter head seeing it as a musical i think would be a big no no i had a dream where it was a musical was and it was more of a nightmare!

Okay now maybe its me but Mirror Mirror I think would be cool...Or confession of an ugly stepsister....Im sorry I just love Gregory Maguire and I would love to see another one of his books made into a musical

"If There's One Thing to Learn it's You Just Can't Go Wrong If You Follow Your Heart, and End With A Song"

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#31re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 6:07pm

Breakfast at Tiffany's, although I believe it was made into a musical years ago and was beyond a flop. With the right people, it could be stunning.

I would also love to see a play version of THE HOURS (not a musical)

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

#32re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 6:10pm

I think Tale of Two Cities would make a good musical also The Princess Diaries or Little Mermaid for little kids but I would like to see a Harry Potter musical could you imagen?

:sings: OH LORD VOLDEMORT YOU WILL NOT WIN... I WILL CONQUER YOU AND BE.... THE ONE WHO SURVIVED?!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#33re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 6:15pm

Gone With the Wind was a musical in London and the US and Japan (under the title "Scarlett") by Harold Rome and Horton Foote. There's an infamous quote by Noel Coward (?) regarding the actress who played Bonnie and the live horse on stage, if I'm not mistaken. The London cast was released on LP and the Japanese cast is available on CD. Then there was the Gone With the Wind pop-music-concert-acrobat-disco-spectacular that was staged in France a couple of years ago as well. There is a CD and Region 2 DVD of the spectacle available in Europe. Something similar was also recently staged based on the film Gladiator. I can only imagine...

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 3/1/05 at 06:15 PM

stylinbohemian
#34re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 6:16pm

I've always wanted to see Tale of Two Cities as a musical ever since i was little and saw that part in A Simple Wish.

"If There's One Thing to Learn it's You Just Can't Go Wrong If You Follow Your Heart, and End With A Song"

Phantom487
#35re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 7:06pm

HOLIDAY INN - that great old Bing Crosby film with all those great orginal Irving Berlin songs... it'd be awesome!

And I always thought MARY POPPINS would be a great stage show. But my ideal production would follow the movie exactly... not use the orginal book, and change things like in the London MARY POPPINS.

B.B. Wolf
#36re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 7:17pm

There are several different Tale of Two Cities musicals floating around that have been written in the last couple years. One was at NYMF recently.
Little Mermaid is planning for a 2006 debut, last I heard, being directed by Susan Stroman. Anyone else remember that announcement? It was along the same time when they were planning on the Tarzan musical coming to Broadway. I'm not sure about Tarzan, but a Little Mermaid musical would smash box-office records no matter how bad the show was. Talk about your built in audience base....

As for CLUE the musical, apparently it played off-Broadway in '94. The audience chooses how it will end, and, according to the website, there are over 218 variations of the ending! 218!
My interest is definitely piqued. re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.

Word. Word, indeed.

catstagestud Profile Photo
catstagestud
#37re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 7:28pm

I think First Wives Club is a great idea!! I love that music and Scott Shaiman worked on the movie w/ Bette, Goldie and Diane. re: Books or movies that would make great musicals. What are your thoughts on the Spider-man Musical that Julie Taymor is slated to direct with Hunter Foster as Peter Parker...I know it's in very very early stages of gestation but does anyone else agree that it would probably be crap?

www.christopherviolett.com

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#38re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 8:02pm

There is already a Gone With The Wind Musical that I wish would come over to America...its called "Autant en Emporte Le Vent" which as really good music.

Books for Musicals
Fried Green Tomatoes at The Whistle Stop Cafe: Fannie Flagg
Charlotte's Web: E.B. White
The Giver

Facebook...ME !!!

thebestshowshavetransvestites Profile Photo
thebestshowshavetransvestites
#39re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 8:05pm

I must learn more about this Clue musical you speak of!!!!! I'd love to have seen it... but Wadsworth wouldn't be as funny, being played by anyone besides Ti... Ti... *must... not... bring... Curry... obsession...into this* gah...

Anyway... Wouldn't War of the World's be interesting? Especially using the Moody Blues' songs as a basis?

So let the party and the sounds rock on, I'm gonna shake it till the life has gone, gone, gone - rose tints my world and keeps me safe from my trouble and pain!

stylinbohemian
#40re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 8:10pm

Fried Green Tomatoes would be awesome!

IMsooHyprToday Profile Photo
IMsooHyprToday
#41re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 8:16pm

"the five people you meet in heaven"

it is a beautifuly written book, and i am SURE it would inspire some lovely music.

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#42re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 8:31pm

"Mother, May I Sleep With Danger?"

"Ruggles of Red Gap" (Yes, I know Jule Styne did one for TV and all about "I'm in Pursuit of Happiness")

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 3/1/05 at 08:31 PM

catstagestud Profile Photo
catstagestud
#43re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 8:31pm

Oh and Clue has who ever playing Mrs. White is a guy in drag. The show is a hoot!!

www.christopherviolett.com

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#44re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 8:40pm

I agree with the Giver, that could have potential in my eyes. And although I am a huge Harry Potter fan I just couldn't see it as a musical either. I have a feeling it would lose any magic that the stage could bring it by becoming a meant-for-kids singalong type thing. I just would have a hard time believing that could be done well but hey if someone wants to try then by all means....

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

Over_the_Moon
#45re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 8:44pm

I think any Francesca Lia Block books would be interesting musicals...

"what have we learned? Don't smoke... don't do drugs and don't sing 'Defying Gravity'." -CATSNYRevival

stylinbohemian
#46re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 8:54pm

Th GIver now that would be cool its such a great deep book

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#47re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 9:10pm

The Giver is one of my favorite books of all time.
Fried Green Tomatoes would be funny on-stage....I've eaten there dozens of times.....yeah, its a real place.

More Books:
Scribbler of Dreams: I just finished reading it.
The Heart is A Lonely Hunter
The Count of Monte Cristo
Ramona The Brave: AWESOME or all the books together as a musical
Amelia Bedeala(Correct if wrong): This would be funny

Facebook...ME !!!

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#48re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 9:29pm

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
starring me as ferris

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

sassypanz
#49re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.
Posted: 3/1/05 at 10:28pm

Mulan and Harry Pott!!