Not a slam at all, but....

WillParker
#0Not a slam at all, but....
Posted: 3/2/05 at 12:15am

...I'm just curious: What's the big deal about Julia Murney? In the few clips I've heard, she sounds great and she can belt into the stratosphere, but that's kind of becoming the norm for Broadway ladies these days, so it's getting slightly unimpressive. I've noticed she's getting lots of love on this & other message boards for someone yet to make her Broadway debut & relatively new on the scene (as far as I know--please forgive me if she's been around awhile & I didn't know). Like I said, this is not meant to be negative toward her at all--I'm legitimately curious: what is it that people find so special & appealing about her?

Thanks!

"I'll eat some breakfast then change the world." "I hate you, and I hate your ass face!"

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#1re: Not a slam at all, but....
Posted: 3/2/05 at 12:17am

I agree. I don't care for her - I saw her do CHESS and I thought she was totally wrong for it. She had a hard time staying on pitch. She's pretty good in THE WILD PARTY, but I just don't see the appeal.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

camthom Profile Photo
camthom
#2re: Not a slam at all, but....
Posted: 3/2/05 at 1:48am

you could not be further from the truth. (okay, I've had a few)

Julia is a brilliant performer. She has more talent in her little finger than 90% of the 18 year old Broadway belters out there.

She has yet to make her Broadway debut because she is picky about what projects she will work on. She has a very lucrative TV and voice over career and can affor to not take everything that comes her way.

I have NEVER heard her off pitch (and I've heard her on MANY occassions) and what's more, she knows how to ACT in addition to belt her face off-which is something many of the faves on this board could take a lesson or 6 in.

I'm sorry, I'm kind of a rabid Murney fan. But it's because she's one of the few class acts in the industry who truly knows what she's doing. Updated On: 3/2/05 at 01:48 AM

Musetta1957 Profile Photo
Musetta1957
#3re: Not a slam at all, but....
Posted: 3/2/05 at 1:49am

" you could not be further from wrong."

I don't think that's what you meant to say...

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#4re: Not a slam at all, but....
Posted: 3/2/05 at 2:00am

I don't think his edit is correct either - there is no "truth" about an opinion. All I said was that I don't care for her, and thought she was out of place in CHESS. That's not wrong.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

camthom Profile Photo
camthom
#5re: Not a slam at all, but....
Posted: 3/2/05 at 2:06am

Actually stating that someone had trouble staying on pitch would not be a matter of opinion as pitch is a scientific observation and not an artistic one. Therefore my statement that what you said could not be farther from the truth is indeed correct.

If a performer has trouble staying on pitch, they are not cast over and over again and they are certainly not respected to the point that Ms. Murney is within this industry.

So unless you are measuring a person's pitch from the audience with a scientific meter, I'd steer clear about making comments of that ilk.

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#6re: Not a slam at all, but....
Posted: 3/2/05 at 2:30am

Not taking sides, but she may very well have been off pitch that night. Everyone has an off night every now and then.

And if someone is off pitch, many people don't need a "scientific meter" to tell.

That said-I'm a Murney fan.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

camthom Profile Photo
camthom
#7re: Not a slam at all, but....
Posted: 3/2/05 at 9:32am

It was the Chess Concert. One Night Only and trust me, as anyone else who was there would tell you, she did not have an off night.

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#8re: Not a slam at all, but....
Posted: 3/2/05 at 10:21am

I haven't heard much more of her stuff than what is on "The Wild Party" soundtrack, and I think she sounds amazing.

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#9re: Not a slam at all, but....
Posted: 3/2/05 at 10:51am

Me too...love Julia Murney on the Wild Party CD!

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#10re: Not a slam at all, but....
Posted: 3/2/05 at 12:02pm

Julia Murney is fabulously talented. I've never seen her hit a bad note or turn in a bad performance.

TheGaIsSilent Profile Photo
TheGaIsSilent
#11re: Not a slam at all, but....
Posted: 3/2/05 at 12:09pm

I don't care for her much, but I don't have anything against her, either. However, saying she hasn't been on Broadway because she's "picky" is just silly. Has she ever been offered a Broadway role?

JOHN LITHGOW I just realized, your last name is Butz! Both "Norbert" AND "Butz" are in your name! You must have gotten picked on a lot as a child!

melissa errico fan
#12re: Not a slam at all, but....
Posted: 3/2/05 at 12:11pm

She could have come to Broadway in "A Class Act", but decided against it at the last minute. Sara Ramirez took the role.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#13re: Not a slam at all, but....
Posted: 3/2/05 at 12:12pm

Aw, I think she's fabulous. Quite the set of pipes, and she's part of the small-ish list of reasons I'll go see Lennon, be it another jukebox musical. And hey, everybody's got off-nights. Chess wasn't *that* bad, was it?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

melissa errico fan
#14re: Not a slam at all, but....
Posted: 3/2/05 at 12:18pm

Yeah, she's about the ONLY reason I'll be seeing "Lennon".

Sargar
#15re: Not a slam at all, but....
Posted: 3/3/05 at 8:19pm

and she was great on Sex and the City! (even if she was only on for about three minutesre: Not a slam at all, but....)

"Hey Joey McIntyre, is there a balcony in Madison Square Garden? Joey knows his venues a little better than me. That's okay...I have a bigger part on broadway...:)" -Idina Menzel

Videos