Cabaret CD

ashbash6819 Profile Photo
ashbash6819
#0Cabaret CD
Posted: 3/12/05 at 12:07pm

im looking to buy the CD and i went on amazon to buy it but there are 3 different versions-the original broadway recording, the new broadway recording, and the 1971(it think) film recording. which one do you all reccomend??

"Where are we headed? Judy- "Over the god-damn rainbow"- Boy from Oz

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#1re: Cabaret CD
Posted: 3/12/05 at 12:10pm

Revival (New Broadway Cast Recording). re: Cabaret CD

A work of art is an invitation to love.

ashbash6819 Profile Photo
ashbash6819
#2re: Cabaret CD
Posted: 3/12/05 at 12:13pm

thanks so much!

"Where are we headed? Judy- "Over the god-damn rainbow"- Boy from Oz

riv
#3re: Cabaret CD
Posted: 3/12/05 at 12:29pm

Buy the original 1966 Broadway cast recording before picking any other up. Hear the score the way it was written before it started getting changed beginning with the film version.

I'd recommend the original London one with Judi Dench as well but it's impossible to find.

Updated On: 3/12/05 at 12:29 PM

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#4re: Cabaret CD
Posted: 3/12/05 at 12:44pm

I have all of them and I still prefer the New Broadway Cast Recording.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#5re: Cabaret CD
Posted: 3/12/05 at 2:49pm

New Broadway Cast Recording.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#6re: Cabaret CD
Posted: 3/12/05 at 3:03pm

Cumming on Cumming... I mean yeah, the new Broadway Cast Recording. There's just no competition. Updated On: 3/12/05 at 03:03 PM

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#7re: Cabaret CD
Posted: 3/12/05 at 3:04pm

ABSOLUTELY the new broadway recording, the original pales in comparison.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

CATSNYrevival
#8re: Cabaret CD
Posted: 3/12/05 at 3:10pm

If you become a fan you should aslo get the 1999 Studio cast so you can have "The Telephone Dance", "Why Should I Wake Up?", "The Fruit Shop Dance", "The Kick Line", "Don't Go", the two dialogue tracks, the bows and exit music and all that stuff... re: Cabaret CD

timote316
#9re: Cabaret CD
Posted: 3/12/05 at 3:16pm

CATS, that one sounds interesting... who is on that disk?

munkustrap178
#10re: Cabaret CD
Posted: 3/12/05 at 3:20pm

Joan Collins, Treat Williams, Rosie O'Donnell, Jude Law, and Clint Eastwood.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

CATSNYrevival
#11re: Cabaret CD
Posted: 3/12/05 at 3:20pm

Jonathan Price (Emcee), Maria Friedman (Sally), Fred Ebb (Herr Shultz) and Judi Dench (Froulein Schneider). It's still not as good as the revival CD but it has a lot of extra material... the Jay Records CDs are always awesome due to all the bonus songs that are usually recorded. Updated On: 3/12/05 at 03:20 PM

timote316
#12re: Cabaret CD
Posted: 3/12/05 at 3:22pm

munk, that would definately be an interesting cast... Thanks CATS, I may have to check that out.

munkustrap178
#13re: Cabaret CD
Posted: 3/12/05 at 3:23pm

Joan Collins does a fabulous Emcee. Jude Law is chilling as Sally.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#14re: Cabaret CD
Posted: 3/12/05 at 4:06pm

Both the 1966 original Broadway cast (Sony/Columbia Broadway masterworks) and the 1998 Broadway revival cast (RCA Victor) are well worth having. If you can only get one, start with the original which is about half the price of revival disc. The original features Joel Grey (MC), Lotte Lenya (Faulein Schneider) and Jack Gilford (Herr Schultz) who are all unbeatable in their roles. (Lenya was the widow of Kurt Weill, and with him they escaped Naz Germany to come to America.) The Sally (Jill Haworth) and Cliff (Bert Convy) are the weakest links on this disc. The score is the way it was heard on opening night in 1966: Includes "Why Should I Wake Up", "Meeksite" and the original Money song "Sitting Pretty." It also makes some changes for the purposes of recording. "The Telephone Song" is done at double the speed it was performed in the theatre to recreate for the ears alone the excitement of Ron Field's choreography. Also in the finale, album producer Goddard Lieberson took out the spoken dialogue and substituted short reprises of key songs instead..so Schneider sings a few bars of "So What" and Shultz sings a few bars of "Meeskite." (In the script they spoke lines they had spoken earlier in the show.) The 1998 revival cast gains in Natasha Richardson's Sally and John Benjamin Hickey's Cliff. Alan Cumming is sensational as the MC (or Emcee). It adds "Mein Herr" (good), "Maybe This Time" (a mistake! All wrong for Sally. Does she really think of herself as Lady Peaceful???), "I Don't Care Much" (great song but a needless addition at that point in the show), and uses the movie's "Money Money" (an improvement on the original.) There's also a bit more dialogue on the CD, and it captures the new production with dazzling theatricality. The movie soundtrack is useless as a reference for the stage show. The movie script uses the play I AM A CAMARA as its source and inserts the CABARET songs into that. The sub-plot with Schneider and Shultz is gone (Schneider makes only a fleeting apperance in the film); Sally is American and 'Brian' (as the Cliff character is known in the film) is British and does not sing - almost all the songs are done by Sally and/or the Emcee. The movie retains only 5 songs from the stage score (3 others are used as background music) addding "Mein Herr", "Maybe This Time" and "Mopney Money." It is a fantastic film, but it bears little resemblence to CABARET as seen on stage. The two London cast recordings are both disappointing. Judi Dench was Sally in the original London Production (on Sony West end - out-of-print) and Lila Kedrova (ZORBA) was Schneider but none of the cast compare with their Broadway counterparts. A 1986 London revival featuring Wayne Sleep (First Night) has reduced orchestrations and weak cast. Skip it. An elaborate 2 CD set (JAY/TER) has the complete original Broadway score plus an appendix of most of the other songs. Judi Dench is back, this time as Schneider. It documents the exact tempos used on stage (which robs the set of the vitality Columbia's 1966 OCR has) but it is a fine reference recording.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Urban
#15re: Cabaret CD
Posted: 3/13/05 at 2:24am

Start with original, then go to rivial.

Either way though the CD does not really do the show justice. It is just one of those shows that only works seeing live.

WISHIHADATONY Profile Photo
WISHIHADATONY
#16re: Cabaret CD
Posted: 3/13/05 at 11:23am

I have them all and nothing comes close to the incredible vocal performances of Liza Minnelli on the film soundtrack.

HOWEVER, if you can only buy ONE, I would suggest you get the Broadway revival which included songs written for the film and is rather superior to the OCR.

"Blow out the candles Robert and make a wish. Want something, want SOMETHING."

jim Profile Photo
jim
#17re: Cabaret CD
Posted: 3/13/05 at 7:58pm

I'd go with the OBC and the revival recording..
I also have both the studio recording with Dench as Schneider and Maria Friedman and the 1968 London cast recoridng with Dench playing Sally. That recording is now out of print.
I for one loved Jill Haworth in the original NY production. Saw it when I was in high school. Haworth was a pretty well known starlet from a few Otto Preminger films and I thought she was
a great and sexy Sally Bowles. I know the critics were divided
but for me her rendition of "Cabaret" is a favorite. Not too good, not too bad..just right for the character being portrayed.

Videos