pixeltracker

Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards

Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#0Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/15/05 at 11:20pm

The rumors are true.

"Confirming Internet buzz from last week, Variety is now reporting that Hugh Jackman will host the 2005 Tony Awards, marking his 3rd stint as the show's host. The paper also reports that Ricky Kirshner and Glenn Weiss of White Cherry Entertainmen will return as producer and producer/director of the '05 awards."

Personally, I thought it was time for a change...but it's not the worst that could happen. Click the link below for the whole article.

Hugh's Back

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

gimmegimmelove Profile Photo
gimmegimmelove
#1re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/15/05 at 11:24pm

nooo! i personally am not a big Hugh fan, and did not like him as the host last year...esp since he was up and won best actor. It needs a change. I think Billy Crystal would have been such a better choice

<3

***You see I think im falling for that crazy smile of yours***

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#2re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/15/05 at 11:25pm

I loved Hugh last year. When Glinda told him to "call me", from her bubble, I almost fell out of my chair. :)

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#3re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/15/05 at 11:33pm

I AM SO HAPPY!

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

thirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
#4re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/15/05 at 11:59pm

I couldn't be happier. I'm saturated on X Men movies and I need to see a singing and dancing Hugh. I wonder how his body will look after all this time.

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#5re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/16/05 at 12:06am

Gross.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#6re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/16/05 at 12:06am

Very happy and I think his body will look like his body always looks...AMAZING!

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

beacon1
#7re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/16/05 at 12:18am

Addy...

You're going, aren't you. You can do BWW proud as you leap onto the stage...wearing your signature Pinks (blush and bashful???)

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Patrick Wilson Fans --New "UnOfficial Fan Site". Come check us out!

Patrick Wilson Yahoo Group

Patrick Wilson Facebook Fan Page

WISHIHADATONY Profile Photo
WISHIHADATONY
#8re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/16/05 at 12:30am

it is a shame they are not trying for a host that could have helped boost ratings. Wouldn't Billy Crystal have been an obvious choice? Was he asked? Did he say no?

"Blow out the candles Robert and make a wish. Want something, want SOMETHING."

Plum
#9re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/16/05 at 12:37am

Whywhywhy do people think Billy Crystal is this uber-host? Where did this perception come from? I've seen him host the Oscars, and quite honestly, it puzzles me. It's not that he's bad or anything- he's fine. Competent. But not so magnificent that he should be the default choice anytime someone thinks "awards show host." Is everyone else so bad that Crystal looks great in comparison? I just don't get it.

Anyway, I could have gone either way on Jackman hosting this year. I do like having different hosts all the time...but it's Hugh, for heaven's sake. I'm not gonna complain too much that he's back. And this time no one can whine about "conflict of interest." Though I'm sure some of those same folk will magically say that the host should come from a currently running show this year. re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards

lna
#10re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/16/05 at 1:11am

What I don't understand is the insistence on finding a host who will magically raise the ratings. Award shows are boring if the subject isn't of interest (and sometimes even when it is), and the hosts are rarely given enough to do to make that much of a difference.

Award shows haven't been doing well recently (even the ratings for the Academy Awards were down this year), so I don't think the host makes a whole lot of difference, particularly as far as the Tonys are concerned.

Maybe this year the show won't be competing against Basketball and season finales of The Sopranos and Crossing Jordan and I think there was something else, too.

Birgit Profile Photo
Birgit
#11re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/16/05 at 4:26am

Yes, he's BACK!!
I'm so happy right now!!

Fan2
#12re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/16/05 at 6:56am

Thirdrowcenter - Hugh really has to work at getting his body back in shape - he just finished filming The Fountain and apparently one of the last scenes he filmed his head is completely shaved and it looks like he lost a lot of weight. He should be fine at the Tonys since X-Men 3 is supposedly starting to film in June so he has to get back in Wolverine shape. The picture is in Star Magazine (with Brad Pitt on the cover) comparing 2003 to now, but the "skinny" look is here:

www.jackmanslanding.com/gallery/miscellaneous/images/hughstarbald.jpg

And also, Liz Smith reports this today in the last paragraph of her column:

www.nypost.com/gossip/liz.htm

>>THE KING of Broadway, Hugh Jackman, called from Australia to tell me he'll be heading up this year's Antoinette Perry Theater awards June 5 at Radio City Music Hall to be aired by CBS. "Forget the Oscars; the Tonys are going to make waves this spring!"

(More on Hugh mañana.)

jo
#13re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/16/05 at 7:49am

Glad to hear that the news seems confirmed - maybe Hugh has sorted out his schedule now re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards

Fan2 - it looks like that for every TONY appearance his hair is changing length. There were the hair extensions ( for Van Helsing) for 2003, the Peter Allen 1970's look for 2004, and probably more of a crew cut ( or something) for June this year re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards...At least, we know that he is dedicated to his craft!

Seriously, I do enjoy the variety type of show that the TONY awards offer...certainly it has more entertainment value than the red carpet idiocy and canned monologues of the OSCARs :rolleyes:... There is a greater feeling of community among the competitors and people seem to enjoy themselves in the show.

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#14re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/16/05 at 10:10am

I'm sooooo excited! I'm really hoping to be there, and I can't wait to see him! re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards

thirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
#15re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/16/05 at 10:27am

Fan2 I looked at the photo (he's wearing a red Puma hat of course) and I thought he looked like Billy Bob Thornton!! He's going to have to bulk up big time for the Wolverine role.

Fan2
#16re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/16/05 at 10:45am

Well he probably has about three to four months to get in shape for Wolverine - I believe he has some time off since his wife is doing a movie in Australia now (with Laura Linney) and he's probably playing "Mr. Mum" to their son Oscar (which he said he was going to do) and working with a personal trainer. And as far as I know, other than the concert rumors, nothing else is going on between now and June. And Jo, I'm sure his hair will all be back in three months time!

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#17re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/16/05 at 11:12am

Yay for Hugh Jackman, and this year won't be an over the top lovefest for him. I'm always slightly confused by having the host be nominated (Glenn Close, Nathan Lane, Hugh Jackman) but whatever....though I am slightly dissapointed that the cast of Spamalot won't be hosting. Madness would surely ensue.

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

DancerGirl16 Profile Photo
DancerGirl16
#18re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/16/05 at 2:13pm

yay for hugh

When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing. - Moliere

AnothaPartofMe
#19re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/16/05 at 3:06pm

Am I the only one who doesn't like the bald Hugh?

And if she'll say, "My darling, I'm yours!" I'll throw away my striped tie and my best pressed tweed, all I really need is the girl...

LilMiZBroADwaY23
#20re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/16/05 at 3:21pm

Oh what a beautiful thing to come onto in the afternoon...

Listening to Hugh right now in Oklahoma... and I'm thrilled. He's one of the most beautiful men alive... plus he sings.

Yay.

Fan2
#21re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/16/05 at 3:29pm

The bald Hugh was for filming a scene or scenes for The Fountain at the end of February. The film has wrapped and it will be interesting to see how his hair grows back! I assume in three months' time it will be back to normal.

kangaroo Profile Photo
kangaroo
#22re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/16/05 at 6:09pm

I really like Hugh's hair shaggy {like in my picture}... so I hope he grows it back long... I've seen pictures too. I can't wait for the Fountain.

YAY IT's OFFICIAL!

NIL MAGNUM NISI BONUM "No greatness without goodness."

RENThead, enLIGHist, Ozalot, Grobanite, Ringer, Pickwick LW, Wicked, Lost, American Dreams, West Wing
Lea S. Hugh J. Adam P. Idina M. Matt M. Taye D.

jo
#23re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards
Posted: 3/16/05 at 11:10pm

Last year's show would be pretty difficult to top ( I can still hear ONE NIGHT ONLY faintly ringing in my ears re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards), but if Liz Smith is reporting it correctly, Hugh says this year's TONYs "will make waves".

I wonder what theme would be chosen to represent the year's theatre offerings and best performances?

If they care to ask me re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards - it would be like "Everything Old is New Again". Have you noticed how many of the new musicals are adapted from the movies ( Spamalot, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, CHITTY, Little Women, Light in the Piazza), from song catalogs which were the hits of the past ( All Shook Up, Good Vibrations)...or revived from classic theatre shows ( La Cage Aux Folles, Sweet Charity). On the dramatic theatre side, it's a bountiful year for stage classics ( Glass Menagerie, Julius Caesar, Virginia Woolf).

What about the opening number -- Hugh can always sing EVERYTHING OLD IS NEW AGAIN from THE BOY FROM OZ, with a full complement of Rockettes this time ( no reflecting mirrors, please) re: Hugh's Back - Jackman to Host 2005 Tony Awards

Any other thoughts for a theme ?

Jo

Videos