pixeltracker

If you missed Kerry Butler singing "Part of Your World"...

If you missed Kerry Butler singing "Part of Your World"...

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#0If you missed Kerry Butler singing "Part of Your World"...
Posted: 3/19/05 at 8:51pm

You can now hear it via her website by clicking the link below and going to "latest news"
kerrybutler.net

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

playbill_signer_05 Profile Photo
playbill_signer_05
#1re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/19/05 at 9:32pm

Thanks a lot for the link, Craig! Kerry sounds so wonderful and so perfect for the part of Ariel!

eatlasagna
#2re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/19/05 at 9:52pm

she sounded awesome... now is it just me... or does the last few measures of that song sound like SOMEWHERE THAT'S GREEN from Little Shop of Horrors???

Up In Won
#3re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/19/05 at 10:03pm

My computer is driving me nuts! I've DLed the thing like, a gazillion times, and it just won't work. Annnnnnnd, thanks Craig! Once I get it to work, I'll let you know what I think. Wheee! So excited!

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#4re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/19/05 at 10:05pm

Make sure you have the latest RealPlayer installed on your system. Not sure if that's the issue you're having...

Up In Won
#5re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/19/05 at 10:18pm

Blah! I've only got Quick Time, and though I'm not a computer genius, I don't see Mac OS X on the list for 'system requirements' on the Real Player site.

Alejandra925 Profile Photo
Alejandra925
#6re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/19/05 at 10:29pm

eatlasagna:

>she sounded awesome... now is it just me... or does the last few measures of that song sound like SOMEWHERE THAT'S GREEN from Little Shop of Horrors???

Nope, it's definitely not just you. I was watching the movie version of LSOH and had that same thought. God bless Howard Ashman. :) That's also funny since Kerry was in LSOH with Hunter Foster.

Alejandra
Updated On: 3/19/05 at 10:29 PM

#7re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/19/05 at 11:23pm

Uh. I for one do NOT want to see her as Ariel. She sounds like she's 5. Way too breathy. Disney doesn't need a name to pull off Little Mermaid on Broadway. Better that they go with some young talent. I was just in Disney World and the girl in the Little Mermaid show could SING. They should give her a chance.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#8re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/19/05 at 11:30pm

The Little Mermaid is my all time favorite movie. Yes, I'm a geek. Anyway, thanks!

A work of art is an invitation to love.

timote316
#9re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/19/05 at 11:41pm

I don't know... I agree with Sarah. I wasn't too thrilled with that. But, thanks for the link, Craig!

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#10re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/19/05 at 11:47pm

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you should keep in mind that it was done in a radio studio and pretty much impromptu as part of an hour long interview she did with Seth Rudetsky (who's playing the piano). She also happened to have a cold that day (she said in the interview). But to each their own.

Aside from casting possibilities, I am perhaps more interested in the logistics on how they would make this "swim"...

sipos
#11re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/19/05 at 11:48pm

Kerry's a great choice for Ariel.

CatieElphie1 Profile Photo
CatieElphie1
#12re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/20/05 at 12:12am

Hmmm..thanks for the link, Craig...you never fail to Rock my socks!!
but I think that I am going to have to agree with Sarah. I just wasn't feeling it..maybe it was her cold..but ugh..SO nasally!!!
she kept adding "h"s too.
oh well. I am intrigued to see how they do the whole swim deal.

Was that a fat joke?

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#13re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/20/05 at 11:04am

I love Kerry! yay...i will allow her to do my part...lol

For those who said the end sounds like Somewhere that's green..
If you heard the interview Seth said "Omg that sounds like somewhere that's green" right after they finished and played it again...

so you're not crazy

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

cathyhyatt
#14re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/20/05 at 11:33am

eatlasagna-they def do!! my friends and I have always noticed that!! well they are both written by alan menken...so I mean, why not?

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#15re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/20/05 at 11:40am

"now is it just me... or does the last few measures of that song sound like SOMEWHERE THAT'S GREEN from Little Shop of Horrors???"

well, both songs were written by Menken re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...

cathyhyatt
#16re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/20/05 at 11:40am

it seems liek shes putting a voice...trying to sound like the original from the movie. when she should just doing it like herself...cuz her voice seems like it would be good for ariel.
and it bothers me that in alot of parts it sounds like she is moaning and its kinda breathy...and its annoying me hahahah. after audrey...penny...i would say her voice is good for character stuff..and I don't really see the little mermaid as a "character voice"...and I dunno I like her on some parts in the song...but alot of parts annoy me

dont get me wrong I like kerry butler...and her voice...but I'm not sure if I like her doing this

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

#17re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/20/05 at 11:59am

Thank you so much for that!! I heard it on the radio show and thought it was awesome! Thanks!

Thesbijean
#18re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/20/05 at 12:21pm

She sounds alright, a bit too nasal for me, she is trying to sound young, it just sounds like she has a cold...

#19re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/20/05 at 12:30pm

In the interview she did have a cold.

Thesbijean
#20re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/20/05 at 12:42pm

I have a recording of Jessica Simpson doing the song, and she actually does an outstanding job...

BwayTheatre11
#21re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/20/05 at 2:23pm

Thanks, Craig. Do you have an estimated launch date for Jenn Gambatese's site?

CCM '10!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#22re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/20/05 at 2:26pm

Shes wonderful. If this show comes to Broadway, she better be Ariel.

Up In Won
#23re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/20/05 at 8:04pm

Can I get a little defensive? How do all of you know, for a fact, she was trying to sound young? Did you ask her that yourself when you were at the radio station? Didn't think so.

Craig, I'm sure you know, but her poor GuestBook is overtaken with those stupid ads again, ahhhh!

mattvcrewse Profile Photo
mattvcrewse
#24re: If you missed Kerry Butler singing 'Part of Your World'...
Posted: 3/20/05 at 8:12pm

"now is it just me... or does the last few measures of that song sound like SOMEWHERE THAT'S GREEN from Little Shop of Horrors???"

Everything sounds like something else. The Puccini estate sued ALW years ago because POTO sounded too much like Puccini's works. The 1-4-5 chord progression that was the foundation of so many rock and roll songs was "popularized" by J.S. Bach 250 years before rock. I'm sure even he wasn't he first to use it. Being the most basic of all progressions, I sincerely doubt it.

Videos