Donate to John Hill

Mimi Imfurst
#25re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 7:32pm

i think people are doing it cause its funny.

NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#26re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 7:34pm

But he's still begging strangers for money, no?

Plum
#27re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 7:39pm

I've seen online solicitation for money before- mostly it's by people who ask those who read their sites to support the hosting. If you don't want to donate, don't. But I don't see why we need to scream about it.

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#28re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 7:44pm

LOL. Somehow I think if he were fat and ugly no one would fight back the criticisms to this. But alas...I guess if I said he pulled focus from my viewing of Hairspray and ruined the show for me I would also get mean responses, so I won't.

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#29re: Donate to John Hill

Then this will be the first time we've differed in opinion Plum.

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#30re: Donate to John Hill

I still don't think that he was expecting anyone to actually do it...

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#31re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 7:46pm

He has it set up so that they can. If it was truly a mock request, there would be no real way to donate. Then, I would agree, it was funny. Alas, that is not the case here.

Plum
#32re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 7:47pm

At least it doesn't involve a hostage bunny...

paradox_error
#33re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 7:52pm

OH god is that bunny in bad taste!

ugh...

amasis Profile Photo
amasis
#34re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 8:17pm

I saw the journal update first (with the amazon link) before I saw this thread. Given the absolutely surreal and insane stuff he's written so far, I didn't take it seriously. It's not intended to be real -- and even though some people seem to be taking it that way, I'm gonna guess (based on the responses on the 'John Hill' thread) that people who did donate are just doing it for laughs, too.

Also, I am currently living in the region he mentioned. And even though I cringed a bit when he mentioned the tsunami, I didn't find it outright offensive. This guy *is* slightly psychotic, no? A lot of people have gotten a lot of laughs out of his craziness. re: Donate to John Hill

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?page=2&thread=841634&startthread=882470 Updated On: 3/20/05 at 08:17 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#35re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 8:18pm

So wait... I know people donated. Where's the money going?! Is he really going to keep it?!

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 3/20/05 at 08:18 PM

paradox_error
#36re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 8:19pm

I guess so...

I hope he donates it to charity or something...

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#37re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 8:20pm

Me too!

A work of art is an invitation to love.

amasis Profile Photo
amasis
#38re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 8:22pm

All the 50 bucks he's gonna raise, you mean? re: Donate to John Hill

Maybe he'll send it southeast Asia. re: Donate to John Hill

442namffug Profile Photo
442namffug
#39re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 8:23pm

no way..he would never go through the trouble to set up the site and write all the entries if it was a joke..it's not! it's real..you don't HAVE to donate, but it would be charitable if you did....

amasis Profile Photo
amasis
#40re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 8:27pm

The site and journal has been around for a while - that whole donation thingy was very, very recently added, so no, I don't take it as a serious thing.

Maybe Craig can tell us just how "desperate" John is? Craig? re: Donate to John Hill

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#41re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 8:37pm

I love reading his journal entries. He's got a nice, twisted sense of humor and he isn't afraid to be distasteful in the face of international tragedy. I was digging his whole stream of thought about needing donations, but it really only is admirable if it remains as nothing more than a stream of thought. Wit and irony can get you far if you play it right, but it takes the right finesse to be among the select few who can actually get by in life using those two virtues as a substitute for work ethic. John might have been well on his way, until he went so far as to set up an account and accept money.

There are so many struggling actors in a similar position, some of them from the very same cast, who aren't making any decent money from theatre and yet are still willing to give up their time in order to perform in benefit concerts for no pay. If he's not going to use his energy for something noble or productive, it wouldn't kill the guy to get a job. and if there are people who can convince themselves that he is a worthy charity case and will send him their money, the least he could do is provide a little scandal for the gossip columnists to make art with. A 30-second sex tape goes a long way.

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#42re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 8:40pm

Sorry, I don't care how hilarious it is, that is just wrong. He isn't the only one "started out in the business."

He's actually been in a couple of shows on and off broadway. I am a little disgusted about this. What about the people who've never had a job?
Updated On: 3/20/05 at 08:40 PM

courtneyanne Profile Photo
courtneyanne
#43re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 8:44pm

Holy cow. Shut up.

MadeofGold Profile Photo
MadeofGold
#44re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 8:44pm

No one is making anyone "donate" any money to John. Most of the people who have donated(including myself) have spoken to him/know him and his sense of humor and find this hilarious.

I can understand why some would find this "offensive" I suppose but others don't. If you don't like, don't give. Not really a big.

"... Still a little bit of your taste in my mouth. Still a little bit of you laced with my doubt. Still a little hard to say what's going on..." Damien Rice

amasis Profile Photo
amasis
#45re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 8:45pm

Well, BroadwayMatt - I'm not sure why anyone donated anyway, other than for laughs. If he does end up getting a significant amount (I just can't believe he will, but who knows...), I do hope he donates it.

I like your idea at the end, though. But... only 30 seconds???! re: Donate to John Hill Updated On: 3/20/05 at 08:45 PM

Joshua488
#46re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 8:50pm

If it's so funny to beg people to send you money, would you send money to ANYONE online begging money? What makes him so special?

TVBoy Profile Photo
TVBoy
#47re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 8:51pm

Very disturbing. I saw him last week... he was wearing nice clothes, had a nice messenger bag, and was very tan. (Lay off the tanning bed, John. It'll save you some money.)

John does have an off-beat sense of humor and I could see him doing this just for a laugh. But -- to have a page like that published on amazon.com, you have to have the money wired to a bank account before it will be published. So, I'm wondering if he wants us to think it's a joke and will, in turn, donate money just for the hell of it? After all, I guess he's getting the last laugh. The money is being wired to his bank account.

I agree with what someone else said... I know actors struggle and I hate that for them, but get a temp job until you land something. Earn your money, like the rest of us.

"I'm not a catcher! I'm a piano player!" -- Schroeder from "Peanuts" ----- http://www.facebook.com/p/Brandon_Bartlett/500719306

Over_the_Moon
#48re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 8:52pm

Forgive my ignorance... who's John Hill?

"what have we learned? Don't smoke... don't do drugs and don't sing 'Defying Gravity'." -CATSNYRevival

renthead2005z Profile Photo
renthead2005z
#49re: Donate to John Hill
Posted: 3/20/05 at 8:57pm

he played fender in hairspray, and jason in bare...That would be awesome if he was trying to bring bare back!...haha but even still, i think of it as a joke.

"Why do we play with fire?-Why do we run our fingers through the flame?"