pixeltracker

11 O'Clock number question- Page 5

11 O'Clock number question

Rentaholic2
#100re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 2/12/06 at 3:27pm

How does 'For Good' revitalize the audience?...that song actually usually puts me to sleep.

thevolleyballer
#101re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 2/12/06 at 4:31pm

I wouldn't say "For Good" is an 11 O'Clock number at all. It's a nice song, a resolution song, but it's definitely not the 11 O'Clock number that gets people re-interested in the show. Sorry, I'm sticking with Rentaholic on this one. :)

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#102re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 2/12/06 at 4:58pm

Well, the "revitalizing" thing is a theory that came out... I don't know from where. I go with the theory of its placement, and leading to the conclusion of the musical, also, as it was posted before, there are quite a few slow numbers or ballads that are 11 o'clock numbers.
I also stick to "Marry the Man Today" being it and not "Sit Down, You're..." in Guys & Dolls.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#103re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 2/12/06 at 5:55pm

Nah, it's "Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat." At least, that's what people say it is. "Marry the Man" is more or less a resolution like "For Good."

TheaterAddict7652
#104re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 2/12/06 at 8:11pm

jv92, your definition of an 11 O'Clock number was fantastic! Most of the posts on this thread were confusing me, but now I actually know how to find an 11 o'clock number. Thanks!

There's a lot I am not certain of...

Actinggbugg474
#105re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 2/12/06 at 8:18pm

I would definitely consider "Suppertime" from You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown a strong 11:00 number. I'm suprised no one has mentioned that yet.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#106re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 2/12/06 at 8:22pm

I agree with the "revitalization" of the audience just before the end of the show as a great definition.

But you can revive an audience with a stirring ballad ("Send in the Clowns") or a big ensemble number ("Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat").

Basically, the 11 o'clock number was to provide one big final "punch" shortly before the audience left the theatre.

"Punches" come in all shapes, sizes and tempos.

BUT... to be a true 11 o'clock number... they need to be AT or VERY NEAR then end of the show.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

defying_gravity2
#107re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 2/12/06 at 8:38pm

I always thought that the 11 o'clock number in Aid was "I Know The Truth". As for Wicked, it's "No Good Deed". Wasn't "Betrayed" written because Nathan Lane insisted on having the 11 o'clock number?

Pillowpants. 'Nuff said.

C is for Company
#108re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 2/12/06 at 9:23pm

Margo, I meant from the Color Purple, "I'm Here" that Celie sings after the reprise of What about love. I think that is an 11:00 number

MargoChanning
#109re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 2/12/06 at 9:24pm

Oh, OK. Sorry, I misunderstood.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

C is for Company
#110re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 2/12/06 at 9:44pm

Oh its alright, normally I wouldn't want to say anything, but I didn't want you to take me as a complete idiot. I don't like Follies much :P there, now after saying that you can consider me foolish.

inishmore Profile Photo
inishmore
#111re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 2/12/06 at 10:51pm

There's a beautiful 11'oclock number in the new Grey Gardens. 'Another Winter in a Summer Town'. And Ebersole is just divine in it.

Time rushes by, memories fade, dreams never do

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#112re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 2/12/06 at 11:03pm

Run Freedom Run is too early to be an 11:00 number - isn't that at the start of act 2?

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#113re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 2/13/06 at 2:27am

TheaterAddict, beware and be conservative with your praise. 11 O'Clock Numbers can't come in the middle of shows so several of JV's examples are moot. I think at least 10 different people have pointed out that "Run Freedom Run" is NOT an 11 O'Clock number. Krupke is too throwaway to be the 11 O'Clock number, I don't know what you're smoking. West Side Story doesn't have one unless you think it's A Boy Like That/I Have a Love. It's also debatable that Company and Mame are mere musical comedies (and it's definitely "Being Alive" not "The Ladies Who Lunch").

I also think "For Good" is a nice song and a nice 11 O'Clock number, but I have an attention span. Maybe if they both flew. MAN would THAT be an ending.

Actually I'm having issues now... I've seen WSS twice on stage... in the movie did they reverse Krupke and Cool? Does Cool happen in the first act rather than the second in the stage version? I can't remember. I KNOW it happens towards the end in the movie.

yr ronin,
joey

C is for Company
#114re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 2/13/06 at 2:34am

In the stage version I know Krupke comes after the death of Riff which always stuck me as morbidly odd. In the film Cool comes after and I feel that made muchhhhh more sense.

Urban
#115re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 2/13/06 at 2:41am

If "Les Mis" was to have an 11 o'clock number it would have to be 'Beggers at the Feast'. It basically is that jolt to wake up the audience this thread has been talking about. It is rather out of place with most of the second act in terms if being an upbeat extemely peppy song in the middle of slow and depressing ballads. Not to mention before the cuts where made it proberly did actually get sung at 11pm!

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#116re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 2/13/06 at 2:42am

It does make more sense. Maybe that's why I always reverse it in my memory. And why they reversed it in the movie.

yr ronin,
joey

C is for Company
#117re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 2/13/06 at 2:55am

See that is because, from what I'm assuming, you have a logical thought process. I doubt that if one of your best friends died, you would be laughing and joking with your friends about the neighborhood police officer. The movie version I much prefer to the stage just simply because it is electrical and captures everything so perfectly

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#118re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 2/13/06 at 3:02am

The movie version has a certain grandeur that the stage version lacks. The stage version can sometimes feel a little silly. I know a lot of people see the movie though and say "I just don't get it. Gangsters who sing?!"

Sure. That's all they did on Broadway back in the 50's :P

yr ronin,
joey

BostonNYC Profile Photo
BostonNYC
#119re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 2/13/06 at 3:07am

Someone quoted Robert Viagas as saying in his book:

An 11 O'Clock number is a big climatic song, generally done by the star, which comes near the end of a musical. Famous 11 o'clock numbers include "Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat", "Hello Dolly", "Betrayed" and "Rose's Turn".

It sounds as though most on this board agree - the majority consider the 11 o'clock number to be a star's solo just before the resolution of conflict or before the big final number.

When I think of an 11 o'clock number, however, it doesn't fit that definition. Mine definition is not well-defined.

I consider it an 11 o'clock number if it takes place well into the second act. It more often than not is a solo, it more often than not is sung by a female. It's usually a (power) ballad. I often think of it as the inner thoughts (reflection) on the part of the character, or a song of defiance, before she decides whether or not to do whatever it is she's been conflicted about. In my mind, it's often sung by the second female lead, not the main lead.

Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong. To others, the 11 o'clock number may have nothing to do with the plot, it might just be filler of a number for someone (a character actor?) to do, either to kill time, to fit in a catchy tune, or for contractual reasons.

I didn't originally think of "Sit Down You're Rockin' The Boat" as an 11 o'clock number, but based on the criteria I just listed, it sure sounds like one!

And, even though Nathan Lane is the star, I don't think anyone can argue that "Betrayed" isn't an example of an 11 o'clock number.

"Hello Dolly" fits some of my criteria, but I think it's too big and bold to be placed in that category.

I'd say "I Am Changing" by Effie in Dreamgirls, but she is one of the main leads, plus the song is pretty early in the second act.

"We Had A Dream" from The Life fits, I think. "Memory" from Cats, too, right?

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#120re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 2/13/06 at 3:31am

Is there one in RENT? I didn't read every page of this thread. It seems like it'd either be ICY reprise or What You Own. Any thoughts?

neddyfrank2
#123re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 4/9/07 at 12:22am

Would The Story of Lucy and Jessie be considered Follies 11 o'clock number?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#124re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 4/9/07 at 12:26am

FOLLIES was not written in the 11 o'clock number style. In a way the whole Loveland sequence is each characters' 11 o'clock number. As Margo said earlier in this thread, the closest FOLLIES has to an 11 o'clock number would be "Live, Laugh, Love."

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

RevolutionaryCostume Profile Photo
RevolutionaryCostume
#125re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 4/9/07 at 12:41am

I'd say "What You Own" is the 11oclock from RENT.
Wicked's would be "No Good Deed"

My favorites:

"Another Winter In A Summer Town" - Grey Gardens
"The I Love You Song" - 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
"Superstar" - Jesus Christ Superstar
"The Meek Shall Inherit" - Little Shop of Horrors
"I'm Going Home" - The Rocky Horror Show

~Jacob.

LoringsGuy
#126re: 11 O'Clock number question
Posted: 4/9/07 at 2:45am

"Hello Dolly" happens much too early in the show to be an 11 o'clock number---I'd say "So Long Dearie" is closer to the generally accepted definition of an 11 o'clock.

I'd pick "For Good" over "No Good Deed" as Wicked's 11 o'clock.

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY