(Another) Rent Question

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#0(Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/30/05 at 7:17pm

I know this has bee talked about it before, but I was really confused...

Does Maureen's little giggle after she says "Oh my god" in the Finale have any significance, or was Idina just being weird? I ask because I have never seen a Maureen giggle on stage, and I was confused...thanks!

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

playbill_signer_05 Profile Photo
playbill_signer_05
#1re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/30/05 at 7:22pm

I always thought it was Idina's mistake, but I might be wrong...

There's a lot of confusing stuff on that CD... Updated On: 3/30/05 at 07:22 PM

rent1988
#2re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/30/05 at 7:29pm

i always thought idina did it on purpose, like maureen was happy/nervous about mimi. but then i read on here that it was a mistake...i dunno. haha i think the giggle fits- i like it.

life is PANDEMONIUM.

playbill_signer_05 Profile Photo
playbill_signer_05
#3re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/30/05 at 7:33pm

Yeah, I never even noticed it until I read about it on the Internet and listened closely. Then I just assumed it was a mistake, but as I said, I could be wrong.

P.S. I love your icon, rent1988!!!!

rent1988
#4re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/30/05 at 7:43pm

thanks, love.
its my boyfriend :)

life is PANDEMONIUM.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#5re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/30/05 at 7:44pm

yeah, I was wondering about that too..

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#6re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/30/05 at 7:45pm

i also thought it was a mistake on the recording. Who knows?

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#7re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/30/05 at 7:47pm

cuz I thought you know, Mimi not acutlaly dying and seeing Angle wasnt really a laughing matter..

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

Kimmygonbefamous Profile Photo
Kimmygonbefamous
#8re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/30/05 at 7:57pm

I always thought it wasn't a mistake...it made sense to me. She wasn't laughing at the situation, I think it was an excited giggle because Mimi had seen this otherworldy kind of thing and she was excited to be hearing about it. Could be wrong, but it never bothered me because that's how I took it.

"You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don't make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and do them so well that people can't take their eyes off you." - Maya Angelou

ashley0139
#9re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/30/05 at 8:03pm

I've always thought it made sense. Like a nervous giggle of relief. Maybe not... but I like it.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#10re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/30/05 at 8:10pm

I agree with Kimmy and ashley. It makes sense to me.

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#11re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/30/05 at 8:11pm

ah but see I can't hear the "nervous.releived giggle" about it...ah well

ashley0139
#12re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/30/05 at 8:17pm

I guess everyone has a different take on it. We'll probably never know for sure.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#13re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/30/05 at 8:17pm

yeah guess so. i can live with that

MissMonika Profile Photo
MissMonika
#14re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/30/05 at 8:18pm

hmm....i didn't even notice it until it was mentioned and i listened to it closely. it might be a mistake, at least, that's what i think. but who knows.

Yes, I'm pinay. And I'm proud of it!

hannahshule Profile Photo
hannahshule
#15re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/30/05 at 8:39pm

why don't we all email idina and find out? (sorry)

I just listened to it, (I never noticed it till it was mentioned here) even then, I had to listen closely. My opinion is that if Idina did it onm purpose, it would have been more noticable. Ah well... I think it's kinda cute!

~And let us try, before we die, to make some sense of life~

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#16re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/30/05 at 8:44pm

Eh, I think it's a little quirk. There are many things like that on the CD (like right after Gordon/Roger sing "Because reason says I should have died three years ago" in "Life Support," someone says something like "Hey, man" or "Amen" or "'kay, man" or something). So I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a flub. I can see it fitting the character and situation though.

~Steven

ElphieDefiesGravity
#17re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/30/05 at 8:52pm

This is random, but I didn't want to start a new thread: I LOVE it when Adam says "But who, Mark, are YOU?" I ADORE the way he sings that. *sigh*
*end of threadjack*

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

ashley0139
#18re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/30/05 at 8:54pm

yes elphie, major threadjack. re: (Another) Rent Question

ElphieDefiesGravity
#19re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/30/05 at 9:12pm

SORRY!! Geez!

re: (Another) Rent Question

angelrock25222
#20re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/30/05 at 9:43pm

the dialogue in finale b sounds so cheesy on the obcr that i thought she laughed because she couldnt believe she just said those words as cheesily as she did.. there are so many cheesy things on that recording like joanne's bird sqwuak or whatever it is in happy new year ... i dont know.

finale b is one of my favorites though just .. cheesy dialogue :)

ikmbway
#21re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/30/05 at 9:53pm

anyone who writes to Idina Menzel or meets her (i hope it is me!) can ask her but i never really understood the meaning of it

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#22re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/31/05 at 2:14am

Yeah I always kind of thought it was just a little add in of Idina's but I could be wrong. Yes, the tiny quirks in the OBC recording sort of gets to you. But I was wondering, in Happy New Year, in that pause right before Benny says "I see that you've beaten me to the punch.." you can hear this wailing sound in the background that sounds like a baby crying. What is that and why is that there? Since they are all supposed to be in the loft I don't see how that fits.....

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

LeapOfFaith2 Profile Photo
LeapOfFaith2
#23re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/31/05 at 4:45am

"...But I was wondering, in Happy New Year, in that pause right before Benny says "I see that you've beaten me to the punch.." you can hear this wailing sound in the background that sounds like a baby crying. What is that and why is that there?..."

Erm, I'm just throwing in a lucky guess here: isn't that the party-horn Benny blows to let them all know he has arrived?
If I remember correctly they all have their backs turned to him and when he blows that horn, they notice he has come to the 'party' as well.

And about the giggle... I always figured it was a nervous-releived giggle and meant to be there. re: (Another) Rent Question

ashley0139
#24re: (Another) Rent Question
Posted: 3/31/05 at 10:55am

leap, you're definetly right (about the cry/horn). It's not a baby but he does blow a horn to say that he is there. Darn, you beat me to it. re: (Another) Rent Question

Videos