pixeltracker

What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?

What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?

hbmonique2
#0What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 4:22am

Hi,

I seem to have fallen into a position where I am in charge of getting everyone their tickets when a show comes to town. It started with 5 people going to Starlight Express last Feb for my 2 kids' birthdays. It ended up growing to 97 people in 3 days coming with us to celebrate. Everyone loved it and wanted to know when we were going to do it again (read "WE" as "me").You do a job once and it becomes yours! I would like to know what you New Yorkers have found to be your top favorite shows (other than Wicked) that you would love to see again and again. Thanks for your help!

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#1re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 4:27am

Out of those currently playing on broadway, or EVER?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

hbmonique2
#2re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 4:32am

I guess a good place to start would be those shows running on Broadway right now. To further define it, those shows that may even have national touring potential. I was completely caught off guard with Wicked and thought I ordered enough tickets for our group. But suddenly, all of their friends started calling me and wanted tickets. I have two kids 8 and 10. I want to take them to age appropriate shows but have no reservations about leaving them at home to see more "adult" themed shows (for me).

hbmonique2
#3re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 4:34am

Is the Monty Python show any good? I am a big Python fan.....But won't waste the money on a bad show. Any original cast members?

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#4re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 4:36am

If I'm not mistaken, Spamalot is a new show, so yes, it's all original cast members. re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW? I haven't followed the reviews closely, but I imagine as a Python fan, you'll have a great time!

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

munkustrap178
#5re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 4:39am

Well, I'm not sure what has touring potential or not, so here are my favorites:

Favorites currently on Broadway:

Rent
Fiddler on the Roof
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Chicago
Hairspray
Avenue Q
Twelve Angry Men
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf
Movin' Out

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

hbmonique2
#6re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 4:40am

How new is it? I am already receiveing requests to get tickets for this show. I checked something on it a few minutes ago and Tim curry is one of the leads. I love Tim Curry! I'm a Rocky Horror fan too!

munkustrap178
#7re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 4:41am

Concerning SPAMALOT, it got almost across the board good reviews. I am also a huge Python fan, and I didn't care for the show. It's funny at parts, but nothing to write home about. It's not something I reccommend, but I also wouldn't tell you not to waste your money on it. And if you're asking about original Python cast, no, none of them are in it. The show stars Tim Curry, Hank Azaria, and David Hyde Pierce.

*edit: SPAMALOT openened March 17th.

Updated On: 4/4/05 at 04:41 AM

hbmonique2
#8re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 4:44am

I hope Fiddler comes to L.A. That was my first show I costumed in college. My kids love the music to that one too. I just saw Chicago a few weeks ago and Hairspray last July (will see this again in 2006). Movin' Out was just here in September and I missed it. Heard it was great! Especially if you like Bily Joel.

hbmonique2
#9re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 4:49am

Maybe I'll save Spamalot for a "cheap seat" night. I'm finiding I have several types of "theatre animals" in my crowd. One is a geriatric crowd who are older (60+) have money and want the best seats and don't care how much they pay. Tey want to sit close so they can SEE and no balcony seats (too many stairs - wheelchairs don't make it) and families with kids who can't afford orchestras all the time. We are the crowd that will take the last rows in the back and go to every show. Sometimes we can score on some side orchestras for 30-50% off. More expensive but beats full price any day! I'll see how popular Spamalot is (if and when) it comes to L.A.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#10re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 9:06am

Of what I've seen, in order (best first):

1. Ave Q
2. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
3. Wicked
4. 700 Sundays
5. Monty Python's Spamalot

I've also seen (of whats currently on Broadway, and still, best to not as best (IMO)

Twelve Angry Men
All Shook Up
Mamma Mia!
The Producers
Rent
Little Women
La Cage aux Folles
Hairspray
Chicago
The Phantom of the Opera
Dame Edna:Back With A Vengeance
Fiddler on the Roof
Good Vibrations
Beauty and the Beast
Brooklyn the Musical

Have tickets to (but haven't seen yet):

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (tomorrow night)
Pillowman (April 16)
Sweet Charity (April 18 with Ms. Applegate)
Lennon (July re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
A Streetcar Named Desire (I forget when)

Of course it matters who is going. If it's ten year olds, Beauty and the Beast moves to the top (probably Chitty and Lion King up there too). I can't really comment on any I haven't seen yet, but have heard/read good things about Doubt and The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. Of course, all of this is just my opinion after seeing them.

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#11re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 9:11am

My top 5:

1. The Pillowman
2. Doubt
3. Spamalot
4. Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?
5. Steel Magnolias

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#12re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 9:48am

1. The Pillowman
2. 700 Sundays
3. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
4. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
5. La Cage Aux Folles

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

hbmonique2
#13re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 10:01am

What is "PillowMan" and "Doubt" about? Are they dramas or musicals?

loganp37 Profile Photo
loganp37
#14re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 10:11am

Have you seen Phantom? That is a classic that every theater lover should see, IMO. I second ken8631, if you have kids ages 8 and 10 go see BATB and The Lion King. Both great shows, but some people on these boards are just not great fans of Disney on Broadway. I have seen both of them and loved them. Also if you are going to New York check out Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, I have not seen this yet, but will on Thursday. re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#15re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 10:17am

My top 5 currently on Broadway, not including Wicked, which makes it harder:

1. Rent
2. Avenue Q
3. Phantom of the Opera
4. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
5. Chicago

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#16re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 10:25am

Currently...

1) Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - Musical Comedy
2) Doubt - Dramatic Play
3) La Cage Aux Folles - Musical Comedy
4) Avenue Q - Musical Comedy
5) Little Women - Musical (kids will like this one)
6) Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolfe? - Dramatic Play

DRS, AVE Q, DOUBT, & WOOLFE are most certainly not for kids, La Cage is a good time, full of spectacle that kids will enjoy (just be ready to explain what GAY is) Little Women is a wonderful story for kids, and they might also enjoy BROOKLYN the musical - not Phenomanal theatre by any means, but hell of some voices that will make kids go crazy!

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#17re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 10:54am

my top 5 current running shows:

1) Ave Q
2) 12 angry men
3) Producers
4) Movin Out
5) Democracy

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#18re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 11:20am

hehe the only 5 i've seen... (in NY)
Rent
Ave q
Wicked
Little Women
Dirty Rotten

shows i've seen in Chicago area..or have cd's to that i love:

Crazy for You
Thoroughly modern Millie
Little shop
Sweet Charity *though the show isn't very good*
On the Record *ditto!*

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...
Updated On: 4/4/05 at 11:20 AM

Thesbijean
#19re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 11:31am

1) Doubt
2) Chicago
3) The Producers
4) The Light in the Piazza
5) Spamalot
Updated On: 4/4/05 at 11:31 AM

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#20re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 11:35am

ohhh I forgot one...add number 6 spelling bee. (I know its not on broadway yet but it's amazing so it counts!)

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

playbill_signer_05 Profile Photo
playbill_signer_05
#21re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 11:41am

My top five currently on Broadway, excluding Wicked (these aren't really in any particular order):
1. Rent
2. The Producers
3. Spamalot
4. Chicago
5. The Phantom of the Opera (which I haven't seen, but the film and the cast recording are lovely)

starlight2
#22re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 12:07pm

Most Kids would be BORED to tears in Little Women! Hell, most of the adults were and I have read the book 3 times and am a huge Maureen McGovern fan! Go across the street and see Hairspray! I also loved Spamalot and think kids would like that much better than DRS. For adults who really like dance, Movin Out is amazing, and of course Lion King is fantastic. Fiddler is good, but again, younger children would probably like Phantom better, as do most adults. Godd Vibrations is not greart, but for kids, they would like all the fun songs, dance numbers, but go for the cheap seats! i have seen all of these in the past 2 months. I know we all hsve our opinions, but having taken groups of youth, highschool, and the "geriatric" group, these are what I have found most pleasing to the general, not too theatre savvy, crowds.

Lome2 Profile Photo
Lome2
#23re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 12:27pm

- Phantom of the Opera
- Hairspray
- All Shook Up
- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
- Ave Q

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#24re: What are your top 5 B'way shows RIGHT NOW?
Posted: 4/4/05 at 12:33pm

starlight everyone i know (adults and kids) loved the show and were not bored at all. So I would think before making huge generalizations.

Videos