For the Cheno haters

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#0For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 10:05am

this was in the NY Times:

Ms. Chenoweth, a Southern Baptist turned nondenominational Christian who doesn't drink or smoke, said her new album is the result of her growing awareness of her life's mission. "I feel my purpose is to be a Christian actress, to show people that there are nonjudgmental, liberal Christians," she said.

If you are still reading this you will note the term liberal.

Your arguments are now ruined, have a good day.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

BEKA531
#1re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 10:07am

haha. niceeee

KelRel Profile Photo
KelRel
#2re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 10:14am

Good job

"All the while making faces like a baby platypus who forget to take some Beano before eating a chimichanga." FindingNamo in reference to Jessica Simpson's singing.

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#3re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 10:25am

What section of the NYTimes was this in?

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#4re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 10:28am

Liberal Christian - Okay, I can now that one to my top ten Oxymoron List.

It will fit in well with:

Honest Politician
Religious Tolerance
Military Intelligence
Moral Majority
Republican Party
Government Organization
Mild PMS
Gay Republican
Reagan Democrat

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

stonewall2
#5re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 10:40am

Why is this such a big issue here? And why is it always necessary for us to "hate" someone? I applaud Kristin's comments and wish that there were more people who could say that they love whatever God they worship AND don't feel complelled to hate anyone as a result of follwing a particular religion. If you don't care for Kristin, simply don't purchase her CDs or attend her performances. And while we're thinking, let's not forget which politician signed the Defense of Marriage Act into law in the wee hours of the morning so he wouldn't have to face a clutch of reporters asking why he abandoned the very gay people that he courted during the election....At least Kristin didn't make it against the law to legally marry my partner......

"I'm mad, you're mad. we're all mad"... The Cheshire Cat

pab Profile Photo
pab
#6re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 10:43am

Oh goody there is another good one; Defense of Marriage.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#7re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 10:46am

which Clinton signed to prevent harsher legislation.

stonewall2
#8re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 10:54am

OK, I got off track so let's not get into a political argument here. Let it suffice to say that no one is forced at gunpoint to by a CD! I own everything Kristin as uttered a note on,but I am not going to buy her new release simply because the tracks do not appeal to me.
Oh, here's another one for your list pab:
Senate Intelligence Committee (should be a VERY small group!!)

pab Profile Photo
pab
#9re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 10:56am

Love it! Thanks, the list continues to grow.

That one sort of fits in with Military Intelligence but I'll take it anyway.

Updated On: 4/10/05 at 10:56 AM

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#10re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 11:00am

Will someone please tell me what section of the NYT this is in? I can't find it. Thanks.

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

bunchamuncha Profile Photo
bunchamuncha
#11re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 11:07am

The Sunday Styles section. In the paper Anne Nathan is left in the photo (online they cut her out re: For the Cheno haters

If you really want to help the American theater, don't be an actress, dahling. Be an audience..... Don't be taken in by the guff that critics are killing the theater. Commonly they sin on the side of enthusiasm. Too often they give their blessing to trash... Tallulah Bankhead
Updated On: 4/10/05 at 11:07 AM

pab Profile Photo
pab
#12re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 11:09am

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/10/fashion/10nite.html?

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#13re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 11:28am

Sorry, but I don't think you can be a liberal Christian and then appear on the 700 Club to whore your new cd. Mutually exclusive.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.
Updated On: 4/10/05 at 11:28 AM

Jazzysuite82
#14re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 11:47am

oh please this is old. Be pissed, say so (once is enough), move the hell on. Geez
Updated On: 4/10/05 at 11:47 AM

Plum
#15re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 12:17pm

Oh really, pab? Tell that oxymoron joke to the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#16re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 12:18pm

Once apparently isn't enough when posts like this keep popping up to stoke the fire.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

LyTeMyCanDyI Profile Photo
LyTeMyCanDyI
#17re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 12:33pm

Perhaps the funniest part is that this summer she refused to sign an autograph for me because she was late when I had in fact seen her at the corner SMOKING for a good 5 minutes. Now it says she doesn't smoke! Hmm...

Megan Mullally as Karen Walker on Will and Grace: "Tell me more. Tell me more. Like does he have a car?"

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#18re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 12:33pm

Let her alone. As long as she performs well, sings well, etc. in whatever she's doing - that's all that matters.

There's a reason most performers don't get involved in politics and religion....

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#19re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 12:48pm

PAB, there are a number of very liberal denominations of Protestant churches, which support gay causes, a woman's right to choose, social reforms, etc. and oppose U.S. military intervention among other issues. Please take care before you make blanket statements. As to Miss Chenoweth, she does seem to be affiliated with the more evangelical (ie usually anti-gay) type of Christianity. An appearance on the 700 Club could only be justified if she expressed her "liberal" views, and like others who've posted here, I somehow doubt that this would occur. She needs to express strong support for the issues relating to her gay colleagues in order for me not to feel a bit skeptical about her liberalism.

Jazzysuite82
#20re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 1:01pm

I don't know why everyone thinks Kristin needs to prove her beliefs. Her evidence is how she lives her life. Who she gives to. What causes she gives to. She performs for AIDS charities. She just tries to do the right thing. From most of her fans she's been a delight. That should be enough. I'm a gay actor and I think there are more issues than the gay ones. She went on a program that is anti-gay lifestyle (which is different than hating the person). That doesn't mean she feels the same way. Theres a lot of good in going on a show like that and saying "hmmm I'm gonna give this show a little legitimacy because it's giving Christians a bad name". She went on the show and said hey world here's a christian who doesn't really think like these people.

Besides she's a performer. She performs. As a public we should be caring about what she does on stage. Her personal veiws are what she is entitled to. I'm sorry if people feel she betrayed them, but she doesn't owe them anything. Even if she didn't like homosexuals, she's entitled to that. It's america. Funny how before she was known as a Christian back in the days of Steel Pier and Charlie Brown, no one cared about her personal views. It was who is this girl. no it's "Oh, she went on a show with OTHER people who say that THEY think homosexuality is wrong." She's sold out. Well the fact is she really doesn't owe the public anything except appreciation. And you can Appreciate while disagreeing...if she does disagree. No one even knows that yet.
Updated On: 4/10/05 at 01:01 PM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#21re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 1:01pm

If she wanted to portray herself as a liberal Christian, then why is she affiliating herself with the 700 club and Bush, 2 completely non-liberal religious organizations?

Sorry, but I think those comments were perfectly planned by Chenoweth and her publicist.

Spooky
#22re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 1:15pm

It's not like she's ever going to come out and say she's sorry she appeared on a show that offended anyone. The best she can do is say that she tolerates everyone.
I don't think anyone needs to subscribe to a set way of thinking. Life experiences change your views. I'm sure growing up she was taught gay = bad and since then, she's made a point of saying she was raised Southern Baptist but has switched to non-demominational Christian.

As for the smoking. I'd be suprised. She did say in a recent article that she does have an occasional drink, so again, I suppose it depends on what audience she's catering to as to which Kristin you are going to get.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#23re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 3:20pm

This is all so very funny since I never uttered a word about Miss Chenoweth in my post.

I have NO problems with her at all.

I responded to a phrase that was trotted out, which some people tend to use to justify something to either one side or the other.

I'm sure that there are a few Liberal Christians and I'm pretty sure that they also make up a very small percent of the christian population. Just like I'm sure that there are Gay Republicans and a few people in the Military with intelligence.

Who knows, SHE could very well be the exception to the rule, I don't really give a crap since I have no brief with her.

I wish that some of you would take the time to read a post and not just assume that if someone posts something on a thread that they are taking sides about what you might be obsessing.

I liked Miss Chenoweth in "Wicked" and I continue to like her in "The West Wing". Outside of those two shows, what she does with her personal life and what shows she chooses to appear on is her business and does not phase me one way or the other.

I will go now and continue to compile my Oxymoron List, which happened to be what my post was all about in the first place.

Updated On: 4/10/05 at 03:20 PM

stonewall2
#24re: For the Cheno haters
Posted: 4/10/05 at 3:24pm

Jumbo Shrimp

Videos