Nine Revival

chenofan Profile Photo
chenofan
#0Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 1:48pm

I have only see clips of it and it looked amazing. With a cast like it had I can't imagine that it was not. Can anyone give me a review? or Photos? They are kinda hard to find!

"You look like a Christmas tree with a drinking problem!" - MEMPHIS

WillParker
#1re: Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 2:02pm

depends on who you ask...i thought it was breathtaking overall. visually stunning...amazing cast (for the most part)...antonio was charismatic beyond belief and robbed of a tony, mary stuart masterson was subtly brilliant, jane was terrific (but not tony-worthy, if you ask me), chita was badly miscast (i'm gonna catch hell for that one, but it's one man's opinion), laura was exquisite, and mary beth peil as guido's mother didnt get nearly the accolades she deserved...i found the show absolutely wonderful...and this is coming from someone who hated the original cast album.

....i do have one question about the revival tho--can someone explain the sigificance of the red sand at the end of Act 1?

"I'll eat some breakfast then change the world." "I hate you, and I hate your ass face!"

BWayBoy88
#2re: Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 3:04pm

I loved this show. I agree with Willparker about the cast. As much as I loved Harvey in Hairspray-he didnt compare to Antonio in Nine. I too thought Chita was miscast-but I love her so much, that I was just thrilled to be seeing her live.

brdlwyr
#3re: Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 3:10pm

I loved it. Antonio was inspirational. I agree that it was a thrill to see Chita.

Jimmcf Profile Photo
Jimmcf
#4re: Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 3:13pm

I believe the red sand is a remembrance of the beach and Seraghina

My mother always used to say, "The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana." - Rose Nyland

WillParker
#5re: Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 3:21pm

*whew* glad i'm not the only one who thought chita was miscast...it's always a thrill seeing a theater legend perform, but compared to the rest of the cast? i was unimpressed...

re: red sand...yes, the sand does happen during the scene with sereghina (sorry for the spelling error!)--but i assume it has some kind of deeper significance because the "Be Italian" song was stopped dead for a few minutes for seraghina to tease young guido with the sand, pour it out, dance in it, etc, before resuming the song...and then again, the final image of act 1 is young guido pouring the sand out of the cup and older guido catching it before it hits the ground....haunting image, but it always puzzled me.

"I'll eat some breakfast then change the world." "I hate you, and I hate your ass face!"

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#6re: Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 3:32pm

I loved "Nine". I saw it twice; once with the original cast, and once with the John Stamos cast. I cannot believe that Banderas didn't win the Tony.

While some of Leveaux's ideas didn't really work for me (was the flooded stage REALLY necessary?), a lot of the imagery was really beautiful.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#7re: Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 3:35pm

The NINE revival was brilliant. Saw it three times (Once with original cast; once w/most of the original cast; once with replacement cast). Just brilliant!

Schmack Profile Photo
Schmack
#8re: Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 3:38pm

what was "the weeping wall?" i read it in another post and had no idea what it was talking about or how they used it in the show.

"Johnny cheated. Frankie killed him. Johnny cheated so Frankie killed him. Shot and killed him. Don't blame her - I'd have done it, too."

WillParker
#9re: Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 3:40pm

the weeping wall?? i'm not sure what you're referring to.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#10re: Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 4:04pm

I saw this 5 times - it was so damn brilliant. People bash the stage filling with water, but I thought it was gorgeous - after all - they are filming a movie in the Grand Canal.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

WillParker
#11re: Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 4:09pm

i dunno--i'm thinking (and maybe i'm reading WAY too much into the symbols/imagery/etc--feel free to bash) that flooding the stage (which was unnecessary but GORGEOUS) had less to do with filming the grand canal and more to do with the state of Guido's mind...i seem to recall things happening very oddly at that point--the way the actors moved, how they got from point a to point b...and it seemed like it made it a bit too busy or cluttered and almost TOO much--and that brought you to the place where Guido was...does that make any kind of sense?

munkustrap178
#12re: Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 4:10pm

Yea, I've always thought that.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

WillParker
#13re: Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 4:13pm

haha....good...glad i'm not the only one way out there!!

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#14re: Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 5:30pm

"the weeping wall?? i'm not sure what you're referring to."

Towards the end of the show, the background of the stage went up and a fresco of the image thats in the original revival cast recording was on there. Water dripped down the image as well.

The revival remains one of my favorite shows (Les Mis and Avenue Q are the others). The cast was flawless and I loved every minute of it. Unfortunately i only saw it once in the worst seat in the house. ah well, it was still breathtaking.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

WillParker
#15re: Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 5:32pm

ah yes--i know exactly what you're talking about--very cool image...i had never heard it refered to as the weeping wall before. makes sense tho!

ashley0139
#16re: Nine Revival

what's a basic summary of the show?

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

munkustrap178
#17re: Nine Revival

Actually, water drips down the wall at the very end of "Unusual Way," and it is a mural of "The 3 Graces" from Boticelli's "Primavera."

WillParker
#18re: Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 5:41pm

ashley0139, this is a VERY VERY basic plot summary i found:

Based on Fellini's classic film 8 1/2, Nine is the story of a famous film director and his attempts to come up with a plot for his next film as he is pursued by hordes of beautiful women, all clamoring to be loved by him and him alone. Flashbacks reveal the substance of his life-- which will become the material for his next film: a musical version of the Casanova story

chinkie azn jai
#19re: Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 5:50pm

"what's a basic summary of the show?"

A 40 year old man basically goes through a mid-life crisis. Through the show he has to deal with all the women in his life and all his affairs.

EDIt: what willparker said. re: Nine Revival

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D
Updated On: 4/12/05 at 05:50 PM

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#20re: Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 5:54pm

images anyone?

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

chinkie azn jai
#21re: Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 5:58pm

re: Nine Revival

Enjoy! re: Nine Revival

Updated On: 4/12/05 at 05:58 PM

chinkie azn jai
#22re: Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 6:02pm

chinkie azn jai
#23re: Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 6:03pm

WillParker
#24re: Nine Revival
Posted: 4/12/05 at 6:05pm

aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh....loving the pic of laura up there...she's a goddess...

Videos