News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?

Luke0827
#0Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 6:18pm

Is the addition of Robert Goulet too little too late, or will the Broadway baritone save this ailing revival?

When actors Daniel Davis and Garry Beach were announced to star as Georges and Albin, respectively, in the current revival of "La Cage Aux Folles," the general reaction outside the Broadway establishment was "Who are they?" With the former having been dismissed from the show within months after its opening, and the latter receiving a tepid response from critics, the producers somehow managed to lure the 71 year old Goulet out of semi-retirement and into the grueling rigors of eight performances a week in a show which was already faltering at the box office.

Goulet, as Georges, has been given top billing and receives a star's welcome when he makes his first appearance on stage; however, his curious performance as the "straighter" half of a gay couple would seem to raise more questions than it answers: namely, "What were the producers thinking?"

Appearing as though he just visited a mortician, Goulet's rigormortis-like mannerisms and continual fumbling for lines and lyrics create an aura of suspense once suspects is needed in the show, albeit of the wrong kind. Rather than wondering what plot twist might unfold, audience members are more likely questioning if Goulet will make it through the next song without flubbing, blanking, scooping, cutting off notes, or otherwise eliciting giddy laughter from the audience or nervous hand-wringing from his costars.

In spite of this obvious miscasting, "La Cage" boasts probably the strongest ensemble on Broadway today in the form of the multi-talented Cagelles who dance and sing and often look just gorgeous. With Goulet just getting by and co-star Garry Beach, who never exceeds expectations and at times fails to meet them, (particularly due to his apparent inability to deliver physical comedy effectively -- the scenes which should elicit rapturous applause and uproarious laughter do not -- or sing without considerable effort), La Cage is left in a state of unbalance: weak leads supported by an outstanding chorus. Sadly, such an equation rarely equals profit, which usually means, without a boost from the Tony's, a dim prospect for survival.

Ruth Sherwood Profile Photo
Ruth Sherwood
#1re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 6:23pm

I was very disappointed in the La Cage revival. I don't think it was as splashy as the original (I think the sets looked cheap), and I thought it was really flat. I was hoping to hear that Robert Goulet was fabulous because I love this show, but it looks like La Cage may not be "saved". I just hope the planned revivals of Mame and Dolly are better than this.

"Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one." -Stella Adler

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#2re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 6:27pm

No, he can't save it.

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#3re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 6:31pm

53% attendance last week. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will stay open at least through the end of May so I can see it...

442namffug Profile Photo
442namffug
#4re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 6:36pm

questioning if Goulet will make it through the next song without flubbing, blanking, scooping, cutting off notes...

give the man a break! He JUST started..I'd like to see anyone else do better...I think the reason that the show is not doing well, and is all around unimpressive, is because there was absolutley NO need for a revival. There are so many untold stories floating around out there, and the producers decide to revive a show that is not even that old? Come on!

NYCisHome Profile Photo
NYCisHome
#5re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 6:43pm

I still wish I could see it, even though I heard it really wasn't all that great. Hopefully, it'll stay around a little bit longer.

"Every exit is just an entrance to somewhere else."

#6re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 6:44pm

I don't think he can save it. Just looking at the grosses from about 3/21-3/27 (pre-cast change) to today, it is down more than $198,500 and attendance has decreased approx 27%. Even if he does get better at the part, is it too little, too late? Will he be enough to turn it around and stop the downward turn? Attendance did go up barely 1 percent from last week, but he was only in 4 performances out of 8.

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#7re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 6:46pm

I am coming from out of town this week. Seeing La Cage on Sunday. Any chance Robert Goulet will be better by then or am I out of luck?

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#8re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 6:49pm

I am sure that Robert Goulet will always be Robert Goulet no matter when you see the show.

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#9re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 6:53pm

That makes me sad.

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#10re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 7:00pm

"I'd like to see anyone else do better..."

You could have if you'd seen Daniel Davis.
Updated On: 4/18/05 at 07:00 PM

#11re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 7:14pm

I second that.

Dollypop
#12re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 7:36pm

Oh please! James Naughton flubbed his way through the first few weeks of CHICAGO when it first opened. He also flubbed his way through NO STRINGS for Encores!--and he was carrying the script in his hands!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#13re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 8:46pm

There are literally thousands of competant actor/singers out there who could step into this role and do wonders with it - but I fear that Goulet just aint got the stuff.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#14re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 9:10pm

It is tanking so quickly nothing can save it

Poster Emeritus

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#15re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 11:36pm

I would love to see this show succeed for the sake of the incredible supporting cast alone. I still maintain that no matter what the truth is, the way the Davis situation was handled was absolutely horrible and the producers deserve to lose a bundle on it.

I hope that when the show does close that we finally hear more about what was going on. It's too late for him, but wouldn't it be grand if they could somehow save those Cagelles and put them in their own show? Maybe even set up a cabaret like La Cage?

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

#16re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 11:37pm

Mamie - that's the best idea I've read yet!

And by the way, 'hello' to you, sweet lady re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#17re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 11:40pm

Oh Douglas - I've missed you! It's so nice to hear from you again. I hope all is well. I'd love to meet up with you and Robert at that Cabaret (mentioned above) for a drink and lots of fun!

A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#18re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 11:41pm

PS -
Thank you DG. That was my 1000th post!

A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

#19re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 11:44pm

How perfectly wonderful to know we have so many thoughts expressed by the likes of you, my dear. And Robert and I would be happy and honored to spend an evening with you being entertained by the fabulous Cagelles! re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#20re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/19/05 at 10:37am

I think the revival was terrible. Pacific overtures for the tony!

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Huey's Pop Profile Photo
Huey's Pop
#21re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/19/05 at 11:08am

We have tickets to La Cage in early June. Will it still be playing then? Any guesses?

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#22re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/19/05 at 11:46am

This one is gonna be completely up to the TONY AWARDS, number of nominations and a win or 2. Early June, more than likely yes.

junglered Profile Photo
junglered
#23re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/19/05 at 2:34pm

I saw Robert Goulet on Sunday, in what I believe was his third day of performances in La Cage. He was warmly received by the audience and got a rousing standing ovation at the end of the show. He still has a rich voice ( he did a very nice job on "Song on the Sand")...though it surely is not as strong as it once was. There were a couple of minor word flubs, but nothing was too distracting. He and Gary Beach seemed to have good chemistry between them.

That said, I loved the show....it was a nice finale to my weekend in NYC. Gary Beach was terrific, Michael Benjamin Washington was hilarious, the Cagelles were extraordinary, and I left the Marquis humming "These Are The Best of Times" all the way to LaGuardia.

jjdude2000
#24re: Can Robert Goulet Save La Cage?
Posted: 4/19/05 at 2:41pm

Huey's Pop, almost definately. Right around Tony time.

Grace: I just gave a quarter to a homeless man. I think it was Johnny Depp.

Videos