News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...

Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...

LouieLovesTheater Profile Photo
LouieLovesTheater
#0Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 9:00am

Y'know, I really do enjoy Chenoweth but it seems like she is EVERYWHERE recently.

Chenoweth Attached to Springfield Biopic
Source: The Hollywood Reporter April 21, 2005

Kristin Chenoweth is attached to star as Dusty Springfield for a Universal Pictures biopic of the soul singer, says The Hollywood Reporter. Jessica Sharzer will write and direct the movie.

Born in Britain as Mary O'Brien in 1939, Springfield became the finest white soul singer of her era, with such hits as "I Only Want to Be With You" and "I Just Don't Know What to Do With Myself," embodying the 1960s with her beehive hairdo and panda-eye black mascara. In 1969, Springfield released what is widely considered her masterpiece, "Dusty in Memphis," an album that yielded the classic "Son of a Preacher Man" but was a commercial failure.

The singer battled substance abuse and a decline in artistic fortunes that ended only when she dueted with the Pet Shop Boys for 1990's "What Have I Done to Deserve This?" She died in 1999 at age 59 after a long battle with cancer.

The movie will focus primarily on Springfield's life in the '60s, culminating with the making of "Dusty in Memphis."

Chenoweth as Dusty

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#1re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 9:05am

argh

Idina: Somehow I got myself to the stage, came out at the end of the show, and I had some kind of closure.
Some guy: You looked great!
Idina: Thanks...I WAS SO HIGH! 8/21/05

#2re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 9:42am

Now I love Kristen, but this casting is beyond bizarre-- she's all wrong physically and vocally. If she can pull it off, she will be Oscar worthy.

#3re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 10:11am

I actually like Kristin, but I don't get this casting at all. I wonder if the lesbianism will be included.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#4re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 10:27am

I'm not a Kristin hata, but this is ABSURD!!!!!!!!!!!! Please don't tell me she's doing her own singing....please!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#5re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 10:28am

I can't imagine that the lesbianism could be avoided. It's perhaps the most BIZARRE casting ever. So bizarre that it could end up being BRILLIANT.

Are we sure this is fo' real?

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

timote316
#6re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 11:12am

I have to agree with everyone else. She'll really have to stretch her acting skills with this one.

Schmack Profile Photo
Schmack
#7re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 11:17am

I don't think she can do her own singing. In biopics about recording and singing artists they usually use the originals done by those artists. IE - Angela Basset in "What's Love Got To Do With It" lip-synching to Tina Turner's voice.

But I would really enjoy hearing Kristin sing "Son of a Preacher Man." If Linda Eder can do it, they all can.

"Johnny cheated. Frankie killed him. Johnny cheated so Frankie killed him. Shot and killed him. Don't blame her - I'd have done it, too."

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#8re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 11:24am

Yeah Kristin Chenoweth is strange casting. The natural choice for star casting would be Gwenyth Paltrow, who's singing voice is actually similar to Dusty Springfield's.

Chenoweth must have one great agent!

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#9re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 11:31am

I don't like Kristin and I don't like this casting. hehe
Updated On: 4/21/05 at 11:31 AM

broadwayguy2
#10re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 11:34am

"son of a preacher man" as sung by minnie mouse.

well, at least we know how her performance will turn out. cheno is capable of playing one character and one character only. aside from costuming, there were NO difference between her performances in charlie brown, annie, music man, and wicked......

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#11re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 11:35am

Wow! She is everywhere lately. I don't get the casting choice either, but it will be great to see her step out of the cute, ditsy blonde role.

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

NCGuy Profile Photo
NCGuy
#12re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 11:41am

RE: In biopics about recording and singing artists they usually use the originals done by those artists.

That’s not necessarily true, Schmak; Sissy Spacek, Gary Busey, and Kevin Spacey (ugh!) all did their own singing, and I believe Joaquin Pheonix and Reese Witherspoon are doing their own singing in the upcoming Johnny Cash movie.

Kristin is in the new issue of Blender magazine dressed as Dusty (it’s an article on her ten favorite albums, and “Dusty in Memphis” is one of the ten). She favors her a little in the photo, but pile on some blonde hair and slather some eye makeup on and anyone would favor Dusty.

MichaelBennet, I agree, Gwyneth Paltrow would be ideal casting.

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#13re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 11:49am

BorstalBoy, Kristin is going to be dubbed by Gogi Grant.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#14re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 11:59am

*checks calendar - must be April 1st*

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

bunchamuncha Profile Photo
bunchamuncha
#15re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 12:44pm

Minnie Driver must be flipping out (she aggressively campaigned for the role).
It's not a stretch for the casting when you are putting your own money into it (and your manager's and your former boss')
Can't wait to see the rest of the casting.

If you really want to help the American theater, don't be an actress, dahling. Be an audience..... Don't be taken in by the guff that critics are killing the theater. Commonly they sin on the side of enthusiasm. Too often they give their blessing to trash... Tallulah Bankhead

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#16re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 12:45pm

Minnie Driver sucks big time. She's more wrong for the part than Chenoweth. And someone should tell her, she can't sing.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#17re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 12:46pm

Jeez. How much money does she have???

Which "former boss?" And who is her manager? He/she is fabulous!!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Updated On: 4/21/05 at 12:46 PM

bunchamuncha Profile Photo
bunchamuncha
#18re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 12:52pm

produced by Universal's Marc Platt, actress Chenoweth and Untitled Entertainment's Danielle Thomas

There's a couple of photos online from the Blender magazine shoot

Kristin as Dusty

If you really want to help the American theater, don't be an actress, dahling. Be an audience..... Don't be taken in by the guff that critics are killing the theater. Commonly they sin on the side of enthusiasm. Too often they give their blessing to trash... Tallulah Bankhead

NCGuy Profile Photo
NCGuy
#19re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 12:52pm

Okay, I completely mis-read the initial post. I thought Kristin was just being considered for the part; I didn't realize she had actually signed for it already (I've seen this on several other websites since reading this).

I'm really curious to see how the filmakers go with this. Kristin sounds nothing like Dusty, but I think it would be less distracting to hear her singing Dusty's songs in her own voice than to hear her lip-synching to Dusty's originals (how on earth would they reconcile Kristin's pipey little speaking voice with Dusty's husky vocals?).

MaTakeALookAtMe Profile Photo
MaTakeALookAtMe
#20re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 1:01pm

Interesting..

Can see her a lot easier as Dolly Parton...

#21re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 1:03pm

Ma - you might be onto something with that.

UptownGirl Profile Photo
UptownGirl
#22re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 1:21pm

Wow. I want Kristin's agent.

The girl is EVERYWHERE! *glances over shoulder*

"Learn how to laugh. Learn how to love. Learn how to live. That's my style." -Follies

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#23re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 2:38pm

Again, it's a pre-packaged deal with all of her own people involved. It's what we call a Vanity Project. Sort of like when Naomi Campell made an album with her own dough. It's the beginning of the end and absolutely absurd. Just because she *can*, does NOT mean she should. What I truly enjoy about chenoweth, which is akin to watching a slow motion train wreck, is how completely unrealistic and clueless she is about her place in the world, what she looks like, what her strenghts/weaknesses are as a performer, the fact that she's fast approaching 40 and her importance, or rather, lack thereof outside of her musical theater fanbase. I'm starting to realize that she is the worlds greatest used cars salesman.

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#24re: Yet another Chenoweth movie in the works...
Posted: 4/21/05 at 4:04pm

"Wow! She is everywhere lately. I don't get the casting choice either, but it will be great to see her step out of the cute, ditsy blonde role."

...too bad she doesn't know how to step out of that role...she LIVES that role.

Now, I love Kristin as much as the next guy, but I just don't see this working out. Is this supposed to be a movie that's going to theatres?

Idina: Somehow I got myself to the stage, came out at the end of the show, and I had some kind of closure.
Some guy: You looked great!
Idina: Thanks...I WAS SO HIGH! 8/21/05

Videos