Songs For a New World

Whiteguy2088 Profile Photo
Whiteguy2088
#0Songs For a New World
Posted: 5/15/05 at 2:51am

I loved that show - did anyone else see it or have the recording? It is amazing :) I know it wasn't very sucessful but I feel the songs in it are amazing, and the singing is wonderful.

Any other fans?

jarred03
#1re: Songs For a New World
Posted: 5/15/05 at 2:58am

sorry, I've never even heard of it.

feinstein9 Profile Photo
feinstein9
#2re: Songs For a New World
Posted: 5/15/05 at 2:59am

there are always a lot of threads about this show and j-bob. it's better to reserect an old thread than start a new one. that having been said, yes, i love new world, although it has many detractors on this site. "she cries" "i'd give it all for you" "flying home" "hear my song" "on the deck of a spanish sailing ship 1492" are personal favourites. "just one step" was early evidence of jason's clever side, later seen in the "The Schmuel Song" in L5Y.

Whiteguy2088 Profile Photo
Whiteguy2088
#3re: Songs For a New World
Posted: 5/15/05 at 3:00am

I love "Christmas Lullaby"

feinstein9 Profile Photo
feinstein9
#4re: Songs For a New World
Posted: 5/15/05 at 3:02am

yes, he has a way with those "touching" numbers. so many folks here think he's a snob, but i don't think there's anything wrong with knowing you're brilliant. afterall, wasn't it oscar wilde who said something like "to love ones self is the begining of a life-long affair" ?

gertiecummings Profile Photo
gertiecummings
#5re: Songs For a New World
Posted: 5/15/05 at 3:10am

In the beginning musical theatre class at my school everyone sings the first song. For the past couple years my prof has had the class to "Hear My Song". The first time I heard it I almost cried it was so touching.

Elizabeth_DeBris
#6re: Songs For a New World
Posted: 5/15/05 at 9:29am

Even if he did write Songs for a New World out of ego issues (or whatever), I don't really care: I still love this show. Well, I guess I should say the recording of the show, because I've never actually seen it performed. I've said this before on the boards, but we're opening the spring concert with an arrangement of Hear My Song- which is what got me interested and provoked me to buy the CD.

Favorite Songs (not that I don't enjoy all of them): On The Deck of a Spanish Sailing Ship, 1492; Christmas Lullaby; I'd Give it All for You; Flagmaker, 1776; Hear My Song; The River Won't Flow; Steam Train

LittleBitRacist Profile Photo
LittleBitRacist
#7re: Songs For a New World
Posted: 5/15/05 at 9:38am

I love this show. it isnt as unknown as you think, on this board at least.

Jazzysuite82
#8re: Songs For a New World
Posted: 5/15/05 at 10:07am

I did that show. It was one of the biggest vocal trips ever. The music is awesome and they're so actable. Looove this show!

tagiunagi
#9re: Songs For a New World
Posted: 5/15/05 at 10:48am

I'm not afraid of anything is my personal fav.

Question: Will Esparza win for The Homecoming? BobbyBubby: I hope so. If only for the mental health of many people on this board.

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#10re: Songs For a New World
Posted: 5/15/05 at 11:22am

great show. jason robert brown is a god.

courtneyanne Profile Photo
courtneyanne
#11re: Songs For a New World
Posted: 5/15/05 at 1:12pm

Love it.

Hoof
#12re: Songs For a New World
Posted: 5/15/05 at 1:26pm

Really? I think it's a terrible show. There are only about 4 songs that are worth listening to and the rest are just incoherent. I still love Brown, (since the l5y is the most amazing musical ever!) but I really don't consider this one a true musical. They're just random songs that he threw together and forced a plot onto for a showcase.

#13re: Songs For a New World
Posted: 5/15/05 at 1:26pm

yes JRB is amazing, I love this CD and LFY

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#14re: Songs For a New World
Posted: 5/15/05 at 1:33pm

God what is it a mandate that we get this thread once a month. Awful show. Only redemtion comes from seeing it live and watching good singers try to navigate through this unnessesarily complex music. Terrible songs by an over rated self indulgent composer.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

broadwayplayer
#15re: Songs For a New World
Posted: 5/15/05 at 1:46pm

There's a production of it going up on the 18th of May at the Tribeca Performing Arts Theatre (199 Chambers St). There is 2:00 & 7:30.

Everyone should check it out.

Elizabeth_DeBris
#16re: Songs For a New World
Posted: 5/15/05 at 3:00pm

I've been looking for an opportunity to ask this, and I guess now would be a good time:
Does anyone else think those first four notes on the piano, in The New World sound a LOT like "Pretty Women" in Sweeney Todd?

CatieElphie1 Profile Photo
CatieElphie1
#17re: Songs For a New World
Posted: 5/15/05 at 5:10pm

Okay. here's MY question. Can someone please explain to me this whole ego thing? This issue keeps coming up, but I have no idea what this is all about.

Was that a fat joke?

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#18re: Songs For a New World
Posted: 5/15/05 at 5:17pm

Sorry, I just LOVE this one song I'd Give it all for You (it's the only one that I've heard from the show so far). Here is a clip of my friend singing it...he's AMAZING, enjoy....
Songs For A New World Audio Clip

cathyhyatt
#19re: Songs For a New World
Posted: 5/15/05 at 5:23pm

jason robert brown should be worshiped.

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

Videos