pixeltracker

What's the line between "Enthusiastic fan" and "Stalker"?

What's the line between "Enthusiastic fan" and "Stalker"?

Roger-the-Cabin-Boy
#0What's the line between "Enthusiastic fan" and "Stalker"?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 8:15am

Serious question - I'm curious to see what people think is inappropriate or dicey fan behaviour towards Broadway stars.

When does fan enthusiasm cross the line?

What are the warning signs that you MIGHT be a stalker - (sometimes without being aware of it)?

Jon
#1re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 8:26am

ENTHUSIASTIC FAN: You know their home address, and you send them a card every Christmas.

STALKER: You know their home address, and you hang around the front of their apartment building, waiting for them to come out.

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#2re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 8:32am

ENTHUSIASTIC FAN: You know all about the actor (what roles he/she has played, where they studied, etc.)

STALKER: When said actress hurts himself/herself you hold a vigil outside of the theatre where he/she is currently working saying "praise *insert name of actor*"

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

mikewood
#3re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 9:01am

ENTHUSIASTIC FAN: You know their home address, and you send them a card every Christmas. >>>

That might be a little much as well.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Chevstriss
#4re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 10:29am

FAN: wants to sleep w/ someone famous

STALKER: refuses to politely vanish off the face of the earth "the morning after"

I'd fire you... if you weren't so g*dd*mn beautiful out there. - Blades of Glory blog

CostumeMistress Profile Photo
CostumeMistress
#5.
Posted: 6/15/05 at 10:29am

Avatar - Isaac, my blue-fronted Amazon parrot. Adopted 9/7/07. Age 30 (my pet is older than me!)
Updated On: 2/7/06 at 10:29 AM

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#6re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 10:35am

'ENTHUSIASTIC FAN: You know their home address, and you send them a card every Christmas. >>>

That might be a little much as well.'

I was thinking the same thing! That's kinda creepy.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#7re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 10:36am

If you ask for an autograph, you're a fan.

If you ask for an autograph and attempt to get in the car with them, you are a stalker.

grizzabella
#8re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 10:43am

The Golden Rule works rather well here. Don't do anything that you wouldn't want a relative stranger to do to you. Old fastioned notion? Yes. But still true.

"And the postman sighed as he scratched his head, you really rather thought she ought to be dead..."

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#9re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 11:10am

Um, when you make things for the person, and dance for them on their last day of a show, and know every single facet of their life, and make clay sculptures of them, and don't respect their privacy, and fail to realize that they are indeed a human being, with a home and a life, and that what they are doing is their job, and nothing more--thats a stalker. Honestly, this is a topic that really bothers me. A lot of people (and I hate to pick on some people, but I'll use the Wicked Fans) need to learn how to respect the borders of Broadway Performers. They are PEOPLE! Leave them alone. I have no problem with asking for their autographs, and telling them how wonderful they are, but so many people go way too far. Pretending to be them on those stupid LiveJournals. It absolutely disgusts me. Everytime I read those things, I feel like throwing up. Stop obsessing over what they eat, wear, say and etc. Just appreciate their work. Get out of their face, b/c sometimes they just might be tired.

I think the main difference between a stalker and I fan is realizing the boundaries that you should or shouldn't cross. There are a couple of performers whose work I am very fond of, but I would never ever think of sending them Christmas cards, scrapbooks, pretending to be them on the internet, b/c that is sick and a little obsessed.

I am done.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#10re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 11:13am

Fan, "I love your work!"

Stalker, "I love YOU!"

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Up In Lost
#11re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 11:22am

This thread makes me giggle.

Well, I'm glad he got away with it.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#12re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 11:22am

Diva, you have simplified the discussion to all it needed to be. Thank you.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#13re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 11:42am

Anything for you Rath!

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#14re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 11:44am

*blushes*

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#15re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 2:05pm

Fan: Collects autographs

Stalker: Collects DNA

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

bdwaygirl Profile Photo
bdwaygirl
#16re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 2:19pm

Beacon can help out with this question.

I hung out with Cheyenne Jackson in his dressing room waayyyyyy before he tickled D2.

"unleash the girly"

Our fingerprints don't fade from the lives we touch.

Puppies are babies in fur coats.

Tinfoil...The Terrorizing Terminator

trpguyy
#17re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 2:25pm

Waiting outside the stagedoor for an autograph and picture is fine. Following the actor afterwards is crossing the line.

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#18re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 2:26pm

Fan: Knows what show favorite actor appearing in.
Stalker: Knows moment by moment whereabouts of favorite actor.

OR

Fan: Hangs poster of favorite actor in room
Stalker: Hangs montage of photos of favorite actor over their bed in prison cell.

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

Blair
#19re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 2:27pm

Okay in regards to Diva's post, sometimes you can also get to know the actor you are a fan of on a more personal level. You realize that they are a person too, but through encounters you almost start to become friends, and do love them as a person as well as an actor. The actor might love you as a person too, not as a fan. That is not stalker-ish to me. But there is a fine line. If the actor doesn't feel the same friendship, then it might be considered stalker-ish.

But yes, telling an actor you love them when you don't know them is a bit stalker-ish.

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#20re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 3:24pm

I think there are waaaay too many people on these boards that are teetering on the line between enthusiastic fan and obsessed stalker.

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

TheatreDiva612 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva612
#21re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 3:30pm

this thread is funny.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#22re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 3:30pm

Amen to that, keggs.

grizzabella
#23re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 3:39pm

Good point, Keggs. And I noticed I can't sptell today. It's "old-fashioned." Duh! Sorry.

"And the postman sighed as he scratched his head, you really rather thought she ought to be dead..."

QHDramaQueen
#24re: What's the line between 'Enthusiastic fan' and 'Stalker'?
Posted: 6/15/05 at 3:59pm

Fan: " Will you sign my Playbill?"
Stalker: " Can I have your children?" (or something gender appropriate)

Videos