pixeltracker

Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)

Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#0Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 8:03am

I am probably one of the many few people who can't stand this show, and it's very rare that i will go and see a show I HATE. When the movie came out, I was curious, and yet, I payed for another film, and had to walk out cause that one was so bad, we decided to see Phantom. Not surprisingly, I hated the film.

Last night, I had free tickets to the show with a school field trip, which is the reason I went, and, Oh My God, that show was worse than I remembered it to be. (Years ago, I saw a tour of it, and was disappointed. I wanted to leave after the first act, because I couldn't see myself sitting through another act of this boredom).

I actually had strong feelings of anger with this show for many reasons.
One: Christine Daee; The actress portraying her had characteristics as if she had just left "Beauty and the Beast" to come over and do this show. She was not the naive and demure character that Emmy Rossum portrayed, or even Sarah Brightman (This show made me appreciate their performances more), and her rendition of "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" was enough to make me never hear that song again (That song being the only song I like in the whole show). It was too dramatic for me, and her voice was too "strong" for the character's emotion, and I don't mean "strong" in a good way.
Two: The chandelier. This thing made it as a spectacle? That thing goes as slow as the Randall's Island tram, and is least impressive.
Three: "Point of No Return": This song still put me to sleep, as it always has. It just goes on and on and on...
Four: The music. There is no "links" to why melodies are repeated the way certain composers like Sondheim and Flaherty do it (with some sort of symbolism to its original reference) Instead, Webber repeats melodies just to repeat - as if he couldn't think of anything else to write - let alone the melody that I am talking about ("This haunted face holds no horror for me now") was completely ripped from "La Boheme".

I would have to say that the ONLY thing I liked about this production is "Track Down This Murderer", and the only character I like is Carlotta, who, last night, gave an "okay" performance, but she still was better than everyone else.

As for Hugh Panero - He was alright. I wasn't "blown away" or anything, and Raul still bores the hell out of me.

It's so hard for me to believe that this show is still running, or even that people are still doing "Standing room", when there have been better shows that closed in brief periods of time.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.
Updated On: 6/22/05 at 08:03 AM

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#1re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 8:13am

Justice, I'm with you on this one. I saw POTO when it first opened and could not understand why it was a hot ticket. It bored me to death.

littlemeatpie
#2re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 8:31am

My first broadway shows...I saw the matinee of Phantom, and the evening performance of Into the Woods, and the contrast was startling. Phantom completely lacked heart, and ITWs was brilliant. I've always hated Phantom since then.

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#3re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 8:52am

"contrast startling" I bet it was and I couldn't agree more. I saw them both the same week. I can't imagine the shock of seeing
them the same day.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#4re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 8:53am

That just shows you the level of the public's comprehension when a simplistic show like Phantom outruns a clever and brilliant "ORIGINAL" piece like Into the Woods.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

theatreman
#5re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 9:14am

Updated On: 6/22/05 at 09:14 AM

bill mobley
#6re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 9:35am

Andrew Lloyd Webber's Sunset Boulevard is not nearly as bad as "Phantom...." is. What bothers me about Phatom is that flimsy little mask he wears. In this story, we are supposed to be shocked once the mask is removed. Instead (in the movie anyway) we get what looks to be a minor skin rash, and more bad songs.

Forester Profile Photo
Forester
nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#8re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 9:39am

I read a review of the movie that said his face looked like he had a minor reaction to seafood. I didn't see it.

ReNtHeAd04
#9re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 9:46am

yeah the first time i saw it was on a school trip. It put me to sleep. the second time i saw it my mother had free tickets the night before my high school graduation and what happened? it put me to sleep. i watched the movie and appreciated it a little more, but still fell asleep re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)

"maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away" -sex and the city

theatreboi11
#10re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 9:47am

I completly agree! I gave up on the movie after 29 minutes of pure crap! I saw the tour of it years ago and yes I liked it. It is in ur face and scary, but that is it. I went to NYC for my first time over winter break and saw wicked, producers, and poto just cause i wanted to say I saw this hostoric show on Broadway! WHAT A WASTE! Everything is gone. All the magic and scary moments SUCKED! I was so pissed as I left the show. I could not believe I wasted my precious time, time that I don't know when or if I will evwer get to go back, on that junk! In my opinion ALW is one of the worst musical theatre creators. So, yes I agree with what people have been posting LOL

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

Khashoggi Profile Photo
Khashoggi
#11re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 9:56am

Who's the idiot here?
Those who enjoy Phantom for the escapist spectacle that it is, or you, who keeps forking out dollars to go see a show they know they already hate....
Here's a hint, go see a show that you like, then you won't have anything to whinge about :)
-J.

"I will join this conversation on the proviso that we stop bitching about people. Wigs, dresses, bust sizes, penises, nightclubs and bloody Kylie!" - Bernadette, Priscilla Queen of the Desert the Musical

theatreboi11
#12re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 10:07am

Wow. Did you read what I wrote? Loved the show when I first saw it, hated the movie, and then went to see it on Broadway. Stupid me thinking maybe the Boradway cast would DELIVER! We all have our opinions no need to jump on people when they state theirs! I have strong feelings against that show and ALW, not against the fans who love it. Heck I love Zanna, Don't. In my friends I am weird LOL To each his own.

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

Khashoggi Profile Photo
Khashoggi
#13re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 10:14am

Sorry theatreboi, i was actually referring to the original post. It just doesn't make sense for someone to hate a show, then pay money to go back and see it again.
Oh, I can't stand the movie either...
-J.

"I will join this conversation on the proviso that we stop bitching about people. Wigs, dresses, bust sizes, penises, nightclubs and bloody Kylie!" - Bernadette, Priscilla Queen of the Desert the Musical

theatreboi11
#14re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 10:26am

Phantom could NOT sing, Christin was just all boobs (which funny enough totally doesn't have in real life) and the whole movie was forced (example: hot phantom that turns into someone completely different?)It was all just too weird and disappointing!

Khashoggi Profile Photo
Khashoggi
#15re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 10:32am

Considering the movie was so highly anticipated, it was a massive disappointment.
Butler couldn't sing a note, Rossum couldn't act, Wilson was superb, but his wig was terrible.
It looks pretty at times, but there were way too many flaws.
The lack of any real disfigurement was noticable also!
But I love the stage show, I just can't understand why someone would go back to see it if they didn't like it...
-J.

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#16re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 10:41am

Considering that most of the show is pre-recorded maybe the sound was bad...cause the don't even sing all of the songs and the theme song "The Phantom of The Opera".......they arent even singing it...the whole scene is pre-recorded. Also most of there high notes are pre-recorded as well........so hey cut them some slack....cause there not even singing most of the time.

Facebook...ME !!!

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#17re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 10:43am

Rossum's saliva might've dried up from leaving her mouth open for so long...Which might've led to her expressionless singing.

I didn't think I was all too blown away when I saw it my first time (Spring '04). However, the male leads Cudia and Panaro just swept me off my feet. INCREDIBLE charisma and reeked of stage presence when they were there. And Hugh's voice made me melt on the spot.

But I may be biased because I personally thinking ALW is a MUSICAL genius. Nowhere near the ranks of Gerswhin, Mozart, but his tunes are certainly enjoyable.

This is my signature.

Khashoggi Profile Photo
Khashoggi
#18re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 10:44am

Most of the show is not pre-recorded, and the bits that are pre-recorded are that way for a reason, either because the actor is getting in position somewhere in the theatre, or there are doubles on stage etc.
-J.

arishmoof Profile Photo
arishmoof
#19re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 10:44am

i am sooooo with you on this justice, i still cant figure out why the thing won best musical over ITW in 88- a masterpiece!!! the music to Phantom is all poppy contrived 80s music that yes, gets repeated OVER AND OVER AND OVER with no reason other than maybe ALW couldnt come up with anything else. the one song i can stand is "all i ask of you" i think its got a pretty melody. but then, again, they repeat it OVER AND OVER and by then i cant stand it anymore. sondheim ties his repeats together for reasons, like you said. at the beginning of the second act they repeat the title song to emphasize that "happily ever after" doesnt end it in real life. and the orchestrations are changed to be creepy and uneasy. its perfect.

i think ppl like phantom because its easy to swallow if you dont want to have to digest too much of the plot yourself. its all handed to you and youre basically told what to think who to root for, etc. its an 80's relic. it was written to make money. they need to give up now. i lived with a roomate at college this year who was obsessed with the movie and when she got the dvd i never heard the end of it. i think it appealed to her cause shed never actually seen a live show before. so lets just be happy that we know better!

you may know what you need but to get what you want better see that you keep what you have

rock00 Profile Photo
rock00
#20re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 10:48am

I'm with you guys. I finally saw the show this year (nothing like waiting for the hype to die down re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)) and I thought it was laughable. I like Panaro, but he's the only redeeming thing about the show.

Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around...

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#21re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 10:52am

During the transition into the sewers in the title song, the Phantom's singing and Christine's high notes are taped. Phantom includes several moments prerecorded on tape

Sourse: Broadway Musicals: The 101 Greatest Musicals of All Time
"The Phantom of The Opera" pg. 265 under Backstage.

Facebook...ME !!!

Khashoggi Profile Photo
Khashoggi
#22re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 10:58am

Yes, dear, we know that...

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#23re: Phantom...It Just keeps getting worse... (Don't read if you're a fan)
Posted: 6/22/05 at 11:01am

Justice, I could not agree more.

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05

Videos