pixeltracker

Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)

Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#0Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)
Posted: 7/1/05 at 7:02pm

She will star alongside the incomparable Keith David in a non-traditional version of O'Neill's "Desire Under the Elms"
Read on!

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

kim1061 Profile Photo
kim1061
#1re: Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)
Posted: 7/1/05 at 7:03pm

oh interesting..i would see it

A dancer might dream to see her name in lights and mean it, but all she really dreams is to make someone else feel the way she did when she first saw a dancer. And that is so beautiful-Anonymous

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#2re: Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)
Posted: 7/1/05 at 7:35pm

huh. how very odd.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#3re: Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)
Posted: 7/1/05 at 9:01pm

Is she wearing Ava Gardner's "Light Egyptian"?

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

TonyaFanatic
#4re: Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)
Posted: 7/1/05 at 9:11pm

hilarious^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!! but as black people, due to our long and thriving history in this country, we are of many shades, from the lightest light to the darkest dark.

Drew7810 Profile Photo
Drew7810
#5re: Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)
Posted: 7/1/05 at 9:17pm

Well, after reading the article, it looks as though she will be playing a role...not necessarily as black. In fact, the article states "featuring a mostly African-American cast" neither suggesting how should would be READING the role nor how she was cast. The article states that this reading is a highly conceived version of O'Neill's work. Let's not read into things, TonyaFanatic.

TonyaFanatic
#6re: Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)
Posted: 7/1/05 at 9:30pm

Let's not start being a smart ass Drew. Im not reading into anything, this is information I already know from a particular person involved with the reading's director that the part of Abbie Putnam(Sara's part) will be a black character. She will be portrayed as a light-skinned black, which will add a colorstruck dimension to the play.

Thank You
TonyaFanatic

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#7re: Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)
Posted: 7/1/05 at 9:38pm

Let's get back to this Light Egyptian thing. I thought Max Factor made that for Lena Horne and Ava used it for Show Boat.

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#8re: Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)
Posted: 7/1/05 at 9:41pm

Egg Zactly, nmartin! re: Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

Soheir
#9re: Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)
Posted: 7/5/05 at 9:13pm

I don't understand this reference to wearing "Light Egyptian." Most Egyptians are Caucasian and those who are not usually have Sudanese or some other parentage. I personally am originally from Egypt and these type of references are offensive to us.
Updated On: 7/5/05 at 09:13 PM

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#10re: Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)
Posted: 7/5/05 at 9:24pm

To me, skin isn't really the issue, but Sara's face looks very Latino...

This is my signature.

kangaroo Profile Photo
kangaroo
#11re: Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)
Posted: 7/5/05 at 9:27pm

this is a one-day reading right... interesting

NIL MAGNUM NISI BONUM "No greatness without goodness."

RENThead, enLIGHist, Ozalot, Grobanite, Ringer, Pickwick LW, Wicked, Lost, American Dreams, West Wing
Lea S. Hugh J. Adam P. Idina M. Matt M. Taye D.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
TennesseeTwang
#13re: Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)
Posted: 7/5/05 at 9:39pm

"I don't understand this reference to wearing "Light Egyptian." Most Egyptians are Caucasian and those who are not usually have Sudanese or some other parentage. I personally am originally from Egypt and these type of references are offensive to us."

Please don't take offense. It's not meant as a racial slur. Most people are aware that most Egyptians are Caucasians. The remarks were meant more as bitter and flippant jokes about the racial hysteria of the U.S. in the 1950's than a reflection on Egyptian racial categories.

Lena Horn was a very light-skinned African American actress with what many considered to be Caucasoid features. She was being considered for the role of Julie, the mixed-race woman who could pass for white, in the 1950's remake of Showboat. But there was no makeup at the studios that matched her skin tone. So Max Factor was brought in to develop makeup just for her. And he named it "light Eqyptian."

He wasn't implying that Egyptains weren't Caucasian. He was implying that Lena looked white, but somehow, not European white.

But she never got to use it because the studio was terrified of a known to be black actress playing scenes as the love interest of a white actor. So Lena lost the role. And as she joked in her one woman show, they spread her makeup all over Ava Gardner.

Updated On: 7/5/05 at 09:39 PM

ckeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
#14re: Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)
Posted: 7/5/05 at 10:21pm

Hell, you even come close to it, and someone registers to register their offense. Crap people, don't be so sensitive.

Hamlet's father.

kombatkoala
#15re: Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)
Posted: 7/5/05 at 10:59pm

Interesting. I'd see it though. But I'm also a fan.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#17re: Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)
Posted: 7/5/05 at 11:31pm

There's a difference between being the race of the part and looking the race of the part. I know it's harsh, but it's true. In reality, even though I'm Asian, if I look more...ugh, I don't know, Latino, than Asian, obviously, I'll be cast in more Latino roles than Asian roles.

This is my signature.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#18re: Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)
Posted: 7/5/05 at 11:39pm

I'm still a little weirded out by the idea, but congrats to her for the job.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

Tap16 Profile Photo
Tap16
#19re: Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)
Posted: 7/7/05 at 12:32am

But ethnicity is she anyways?

Jon
#20re: Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)
Posted: 7/7/05 at 12:43am

She is Mexican. Of course, some Mexicans have more European (Spanish conqueror) blood in their ancestry, and some have more indigenous (native "Indian") blood. The result is a wide range of skin tones - just as most African-Americans have some caucasian ancestry mixed in over the centuries.

Forester Profile Photo
Forester
#21re: Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)
Posted: 7/7/05 at 4:52am

If Jonathan Pryce can be a Vietnamese . . .

wonderland
#22re: Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)
Posted: 7/7/05 at 4:55am

Or God, Mickey Rooney a Chinese man. Or Alfred Molina a Russian Jew.

TennesseeTwang
#23re: Sara Ramirez WILL play a black woman!(because she can)
Posted: 7/7/05 at 7:42am

Actually, it's very common for black Latinas like Zoe Saldana to play African American women and for African American women like Kerry Washington to play black Latinas. Sara may be neither, but as someone said up thread, there are many African American women who look like her.

It's very true that people don't always fit the stereotype of how their particular raiail group is "supposed" to look.

Videos