Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, July 6th, 2005

Jera Profile Photo
Jera
#0Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, July 6th, 2005
Posted: 7/13/05 at 1:10pm

Warning: May contain spoilers for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

This was a great musical to start my Broadway Vacation 2005. Freddy Benson was played by Joe Cassidy (Norbert was out), but I forgot about Norbert’s absence as soon as Joe entered the stage. He was very good in the role, and his comedic timing was superb.

“Give Them What They Want”
This was a weak opening number, not helped by the fact that John Lithgow (Who played Lawrence) doesn’t have the best voice. He is such a funny guy, and I loved him in this musical, but singing really isn’t his strongest suit.

“Great Big Stuff”
Joe Cassidy is very funny. The audience really loved this song.

“Chimp in a Suit”
I was impressed with the lyrics of this song. I especially loved how Andre (played by Gregory Jbara) mentioned Cezanne, one of my favourite artists.

“All About Ruprect”
Hilarious! Joe Cassidy was great in the song. But I have to admit, I was wondering at this point when the plot was going to actually begin.

“Here I am”
This was a great song for Christine (played by the wonderfully talented Sherie Rene Scott). The highlight for me was when the man stepped on the bag with the dog in it. So funny. I also loved Sherie’s dancing.

Finally, a plot emerges.

“Nothing is too Wonderful to be true”.
I really like this song. Check out the last bonus song on the Cast Recording for a real treat.

“Ruffhousin mit Shuffhausen”
I didn’t like the song, but the **** whipping (literally) was funny.

“Like Zis/Like that”
Andre and Muriel’s relationship is one part sweet, one part random, and one part “gag me”.

“The More We Dance”
I didn’t like this song at all. This was my least favourite song in the musical. The dancing was random.

“Love is My Legs”
This was by far my favourite song. I was laughing so hard! “Love is my legs, you are my love, so you are my legs, my love!” That is Classic. And then the choir in the background. Ha!

Concluding songs:
Great conclusion, sort of predictable, but it was still funny.

I thoroughly enjoyed this musical. It was really a great time, but it wasn’t life changing or anything. I left the theatre laughing and feeling satisfied.

Jera

"It's not a problem, it's just a challenge, it's a challenge, to resist temptation."

TheGaIsSilent Profile Photo
TheGaIsSilent
#1re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, July 6th, 2005
Posted: 7/13/05 at 1:47pm

Glad you had a good time. I've found that "The More We Dance" gets better and better on repeat in the mp3 player.

JOHN LITHGOW I just realized, your last name is Butz! Both "Norbert" AND "Butz" are in your name! You must have gotten picked on a lot as a child!

Jera Profile Photo
Jera
#2re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, July 6th, 2005
Posted: 7/13/05 at 5:39pm

I'll try to listen to it again. It's hard for me to resist the urge to skip it on the cd.

jera

"It's not a problem, it's just a challenge, it's a challenge, to resist temptation."

NYC_or_Bust Profile Photo
NYC_or_Bust
#3re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, July 6th, 2005
Posted: 7/13/05 at 6:01pm

I'd like to see a concert version of this done at the Kennedy Center in about 5 years, but personally, I'd like something else to move into the Imperial VERY soon...

Glad you enjoyed the show! I thought it was great.

I adore the black band holding on the Phantom's mask. ~ Jenna2

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#4re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, July 6th, 2005
Posted: 7/13/05 at 7:09pm

"The More We Dance" is one of my favorite songs in the show.

Glad you enjoyed yourself!

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#5re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, July 6th, 2005
Posted: 7/13/05 at 7:13pm

I agree about your assessment of the opening; it's VERY weak. I remember sitting there going, "What the heck is THIS?"

Thank God Norbert appeared :0)

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#6re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, July 6th, 2005
Posted: 7/13/05 at 7:16pm

Yay..your review makes me excited to see it :)

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#7re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, July 6th, 2005
Posted: 7/13/05 at 7:17pm

I liked John Lithgow, even though I was there to see Norbert. I think the two make a great pair and you can tell they really have a great respect for each other.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#8re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, July 6th, 2005
Posted: 7/13/05 at 7:21pm

Great review! I also saw Joe Cassidy (and I really wanted to see Norbert), but he really didn't disappoint... he's fantastic in the role!

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

adampascalgal Profile Photo
adampascalgal
#9re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, July 6th, 2005
Posted: 7/13/05 at 7:24pm

Wow- I was there that day too, and it was also the start of my B'way vaction, how coincidental! Great review of the show, were you at the matinee or night show? We were at the night show, and the only thing I would say I would have changed was the whole Norbert being out thing, but I have already saw him in this role so it was good to see someone else's interpretation!

"All they say Is "Trust in What Is Writen." Wars are made. And somehow that is wisdom. Thought is suspect, And money is their idol, And nothing is okay unless it's scripted in their Bible." -Spring Awakening

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#10re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, July 6th, 2005
Posted: 7/13/05 at 8:44pm

I was at the evening show on July 6 and agree with your assessment. I was initially very hesitant to see this show for various reasons, but ended up enjoying it very much- especially Sherie Rene Scott. So talented- both vocally and acting wise.

Joe did a great job in the role, but I did not see Norbert so I am not qualified to make a comparison.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

ZBraff
#11re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, July 6th, 2005
Posted: 7/13/05 at 9:07pm

Has Norbert left the show?

WiCkEd4LyFfE
#12re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, July 6th, 2005
Posted: 7/13/05 at 9:12pm

speaking of scoundrels....can anyone point me in the direction to find the funny cast photo of norbert, john, and sherie where they look like they are screaming(it is currently in Shubert Alley)

*Kristen*

LucilleAndLeoFrank
#13re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, July 6th, 2005
Posted: 7/13/05 at 9:16pm

"Has Norbert left the show?"

No. He took a week's vacation. Joe Cassidy covered the role. I saw the show (my second time) during NLB's vacation, and I will say that Cassidy is as good, if not better, than Norbert.

wendy72 Profile Photo
wendy72
#14re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, July 6th, 2005
Posted: 7/13/05 at 9:17pm

Norbert has not left the show, he was on a week's vacation.

I love "The More We Dance"--the lyrics are hilarious--"maybe that chump, will get a grip.."

The picture of the 3 appearing like they are screaming is on the Dirty Rotten Scoundrels web site.

Jera Profile Photo
Jera
#15re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, July 6th, 2005
Posted: 7/14/05 at 10:54am

I was at the night show too! How coincidental...

I will be posting my reviews of Light in the Piazza, Rent, Hairspray, and Forbidden Broadway as soon as I can.

jera

movieinmymind Profile Photo
movieinmymind
#16re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, July 6th, 2005
Posted: 7/16/05 at 3:04am

I saw the show on July 9, and let me say, at first, i was REALLY upset at the beginning when i found out that the reason that brought me to buy tickets to the show, norbert, was not there. but, then joe cassidy came on, and the rest of the entire regular cast was there, and i was happy! lol

and, after the show ended, i stayed around the back stage door, and i got john lithgow and joe cassidy's autographs! (plus, a picture with joe!) i agree with you, LucilleAndLeoFrank, he was just as good as norbert. (i'm judging this upon his tony performance and from listening to the OBC recording countless times) plus, he stayed around the longest outside, when the crowd was almost gone, haha. (which is how i got a pic with him!)

also, sherie, oh god, that woman is tal-en-ted. she rightfully deserved that tony nomination, and can you say breath-taking? And, i LOVED the love story between Andre and Muriel. The "morning after" scene was one of the most hilarious parts of the entire show. (she sqeezed the juice out of Andre's head between her legs like a giant grape. lmao)

oh, and does anybody know where i can find a recording of joe's voice? it's just so amazing, and all i have is norbert's on the CD, lol.

My name is Jamie. NYU class of 2011!!!