Bryant Park Show Great !

Myron
#0Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 2:05pm

The Broadway concert in Bryant Park was great.Julie Barnes and Rick Hilsabeck appeared from "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" as well as the children Henry Hodges and Ellen Marlowe. From "Wicked" they performed "The Wizard and I", "As Long As You're Mine", and "For Good". From "Chicago" we saw "All That Jazz", "When You're Good To Mama", "Class" and "My Own Best Friend". The ensemble from "Spelling Bee" was also great as was the cool weather. All of us sitting in the front got annoyed by the photographers constantly running back and forth blocking our view from show's beginning to end. Stacie Morgan Lewis was Glinda, Saycon Sengbloh was Elphaba. In "Chicago" we saw appearances by Luba Mason as Velma, Carol Woods as "Mama" and Belle Calaway as Roxie. Hope I spelled the names correctly.
Updated On: 7/28/05 at 02:05 PM

Johnnytoc
#1re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 2:06pm

Good to hear it was a lot of fun. I was going to try to come, but couldn't.

chuckufarley007 Profile Photo
chuckufarley007
#2re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 2:08pm

DANG! DANG! DANG! Curse the dayjob!!!! AHHHHH!!!!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#3re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 2:37pm

I had posted this on the other thread, the one about the weather.

Just got back - was fun, and the weather held out, though it's a bit cloudy still.

For Chitty, Ellen and Henry were there, but understudies came for Truly and Caractacus (Julie Barnes and Rick Hilsabeck). NOT a fan of someone else singing Hushabye Mountain, since it wasn't even nearly half as good as when Raúl sings it. Oh well. *whimper*
Saycon performed as Elphaba, about which I was thrilled, though.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#4re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 2:40pm

It was great but it was LOUD! My ears are killing me.
They need to turn the volume down.
I loved the cast of Spelling Bee and Chicago.
Wicked was not the same, I missed Chenoweth.
I wish Dan Fogler was there doing MAGIC FOOT.
It was a great concert, but I hope they lower the volume next time.
re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Updated On: 7/28/05 at 02:40 PM

#5re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 3:18pm

wow, i am surprised wicked didn't send the leads. i guess they are trying to give the understudies more exposure and practice?

milton Profile Photo
milton
#6re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 3:21pm

I was there and thought it was great. Saycon, Stacie Morgan Lewis, and Jerad Bortz as Fiyero peformed and were really good. Jerad Bortz didn't do so well in my opinion, though. Chicago was wonderful. They really did a great job. I thought the songs from Spelling Bee were very cute but it was so loud! They sang "Woe is Me," "I Might Be Smart" and "The I Love You Song." It was hard to hear because it was so overpowering. Chitty was ok, kind of boring.

The weather was great and I had a great spot. Everyone got green and pink carnations for Wicked which was cute. There were a ton of people there, it was a great atmosphere.

sports620
#7re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 3:23pm

loud?? i was on the sides and could hardly hear! Especially 'as long as you're mine'.. i couldn't hear 'fiyero'. Does anyone know his name?
i think in bryant park, if you're sitting in front of the speakers it's loud, but if the speakers are not directed at you then the sound gets lost in all the people chatting around you.

Logainne Profile Photo
Logainne
#8re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 3:27pm

So were the leads from Spelling Bee there? Was it Sara Saltzberg doing 'Woe is Me'? If so, I'm all the more angrier at my mom for not letting me take the train up to New York with a friend. She so doesn't trust that I could get myself up and back alive.

milton Profile Photo
milton
#9re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 3:29pm

Yeah from Spelling Bee it was Sarah, Celia, Jesse, and two others I'm not sure of there names off the tops of my head.

luvtheEmcee
#10re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 3:31pm

Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Derrick Baskin (I *think* that's his name.)

Logainne Profile Photo
Logainne
#11re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 3:32pm

Argh..so angry...I wish I could have been there. Anyone have any pictures or know where I can find some from today?

NEW2NYC Profile Photo
NEW2NYC
#12re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 3:33pm

It was fabulous, but Corine2 was right about the sound being too loud. Ouch.

sports620
#13re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 3:33pm

"The weather was great and I had a great spot. Everyone got green and pink carnations for Wicked which was cute. There were a ton of people there, it was a great atmosphere"

It was very crowded today which makes me all the more scared for next week, it's going to be crazy.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#14re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 3:39pm

I love Bee!
I could really use a man with a magic foot.
re: Bryant Park Show Great ! Updated On: 7/28/05 at 03:39 PM

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#15re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 4:33pm

My sister went. She really like the guys in Spelling Bee, but not the girls and she HATED Chicago. She liked Wicked.

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#16re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 5:10pm

Wait, what did Chitty perform? "Hushabye Mtn" and what else?

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

luvtheEmcee
#17re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 5:15pm

"Truly Scrumptious" and the title song.

BroadwayPer4mer03
#18re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 5:25pm

Here's who I think was the best:

1. Wicked: Wow, stellar performances! I can't believe those were the understudies! It was awesome.

2. Chicgao: Wonderful cast and energy!
3. Spelling: Loved it! Now I want to see the show!
4. Chitty: Hated it! Way to cheesy!Soso performances. The best was Julie Barnes. The kids were cute had weak stage presence. The guy playing Cactus Potts was awful. Their numbers were so boring it was painful.

Yankeefan007
#19re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 6:00pm

i hate wicked....it was the best

luvtheEmcee
#20re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 8:10pm

"The guy playing Cactus Potts."

I learned, so can you. Go on, say it. Ca-rac-tac-us.

heh, I didn't care for him much either, though.

gavrochegirl
#21re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 8:13pm

Huh. I always thought it was pronounced Car-ta-cus. But...I'm proved wrong. *shrug*

What the puck?!

luvtheEmcee
#22re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 8:21pm

The pronounciation took me a LOT of practice. More than it probably should have, lol.

#23re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 8:30pm

anybody have clips?

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#24re: Bryant Park Show Great !
Posted: 7/28/05 at 9:01pm

My favorites:

1)Spelling Bee: Absolutely fantastic. Jesse Tyler Ferguson is hysterical. The I Love You song is beautiful, even though it made me cry. They are all fantastic.
2) Chicago: Loved it.
3) Wicked: Mehhh it was ok, didn't like ALAYM at all.
4)Chitty: It was ok.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Videos