Videos

SeeIreallycouldn'tSING!! Profile Photo
SeeIreallycouldn'tSING!!
#0Videos
Posted: 7/29/05 at 3:29pm

How many shows are recorded and sold as videos? I know all shows are flimed for the lincoln center archvies (i've been there, saw Chorus Line)... but I know CATS was recorded and sold... what other shows have had this? I wanna see alot of the classics that I never got to see before they closed cause I was too young.

Born2cthelightsofbway Profile Photo
Born2cthelightsofbway
#1re: Videos
Posted: 7/29/05 at 3:31pm

Um, Jekyle and Hyde. I think Joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat. Possibly Jesus Christ Superstar. I'm not sure of others, but you could check amazon.com. good luck!

"You alone can make my song take flight, it's over now, the Music of the Night!!!!!"

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#2re: Videos
Posted: 7/29/05 at 3:32pm

All of the ALW videos (CATS & JOSEPH...) are not the actual show. They are studio productions and there are of course different from the actual stage production. There are several shows that have been taped and are on the market. TINTYPES, SOPHISTICATED LADIES, SMOKEY JOE'S CAFE, INTO THE WOODS, SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE, PASSION, and ELAINE STRITCH LIVE AT LIBERTY all come to mind.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#3re: Videos

Well, not classics by any means, but Jekyll and Hyde and Smokey Joe's Cafe were recorded...Contact too. Hmmm...that's it off the top of my head.

ETA: Beaten to it, yet again! (Beaten...looks odd, but it's not just "beat" right?)

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)
Updated On: 7/29/05 at 03:32 PM

gavrochegirl
#4re: Videos

Les Miz was recorded...and it's damn good, too.

What the puck?!

SeeIreallycouldn'tSING!!
#5re: Videos
Posted: 7/29/05 at 3:34pm

les miz is the one I wanna see...

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#6re: Videos
Posted: 7/29/05 at 3:35pm

Yes, Les Miz has been recorded -- but only the concert is the one that's commercially available.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#7re: Videos
Posted: 7/29/05 at 3:36pm

Les Miz has never been released commercially.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

SeeIreallycouldn'tSING!!
#8re: Videos
Posted: 7/29/05 at 3:38pm

i should just go visit the archives some more

brandonm
#9re: Videos
Posted: 7/29/05 at 4:09pm

peter pan was released w/ cathy rigby

"Let the little girl go, and that poor little dog? Dodo." That's my favorite line in the whole show (Wicked). My next favorite line is "Oh! It seems the artichoke is steamed."

professor Profile Photo
professor
#10re: Videos
Posted: 7/29/05 at 4:32pm

Two very good ones (that are both now on DVD and readily available) that nobody has yet mentioned:
Pippin-- with William Katt in the title role and Ben Vereen as the Leading Player
Sweeney Todd-- with George Hearn and Angela Lansbury

neither of these is a recording of the production in its actual Broadway house, but later touring versions of the shows. Both, however, are the work of two genuis directors (Bob Fosse and Hal Prince) and are worth seeing.

"Inside every actor there is a Tiger, a Pig, an Ass, and a Nightingale. You never know which one is going to show up." -John Michael Higgins in FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

QuiteSo Profile Photo
QuiteSo
#11re: Videos
Posted: 7/29/05 at 4:35pm

The West End's Kiss Me Kate revival, Into The Woods, Sunday in the Park With George, Sweeney Todd (with Angela L. and George Hearn, as some have said already)....erm...that's all I can think of right now.

Merrily we roll along, roll along...

Lome2 Profile Photo
Lome2
#12re: Videos
Posted: 7/29/05 at 5:51pm

There's also ALW's "By Jeeves" but its only available for VHS PAL or DVD Region 2

nodaybut2day2007
#13re: Videos
Posted: 7/29/05 at 6:04pm

Putting it Together

actress_06 Profile Photo
actress_06
#14re: Videos
Posted: 7/29/05 at 6:05pm

If you get Jesus Christ Superstar be careful there are two diiferent versions. One is the classic 70s version. The other is newer, but I compare it to Hardcore S&M...the costumes anyway. It seems to be a European stage version.

"Better...Better than What?" -Jo March (Little Women the Musical) "NYC...Up there (In Lights) I'll be." -Star to be (Annie)
Updated On: 7/29/05 at 06:05 PM

BroadwayMommy
#15re: Videos
Posted: 7/29/05 at 9:34pm

I found Victor/Victoria on Amazon with Tony Roberts and Julie.

MyDreamsRecurring Profile Photo
MyDreamsRecurring
#16re: Videos
Posted: 7/29/05 at 9:58pm

cant forget the stage version of Into the Woods
Joanna Gleason and Chip Zien are two of my favorites

"No two shows are alike in the making. Each show is a living piece of your life in a small unreal world with its own character and integrity; its own new set of memorable experiences and incredible happenings. You begin to love and adapt to its strangeness. Dreams harden into substance. Values come into focus. You wish it would never end. The dream world vanishes like mist before a rising sun; part of you vanishes with it. And back you land in the real world with a thud- fogged, uneasy, jittery, difficult to get along with. There is only one cure. A new show. A new, small unreal world; new visions, experiences, incredible happenings. Again you love it, adapt to it, wish it would never end. But end it does. Another part of you vanishes. That's show business."-Anonymous

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#17re: Videos
Posted: 7/29/05 at 10:09pm

Was the cast recording of Cabaret with Alan Cumming and Natasha Richardson done before a live audience? If so, did they do video version. I would kill to see Alan Cumming as the Emcee. Adam Pascal was great but Alan is a genius.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#18re: Videos
Posted: 7/29/05 at 10:18pm

Is Contact available in video? I don't know that.

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#19re: Videos
Posted: 7/29/05 at 10:23pm

I prefer Mary Martin's Peter Pan over Cathy Rigby's. They should remaster Mary's for DVD.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#20re: Videos
Posted: 7/29/05 at 10:32pm

So LC has every show and how do you go about seeing it?

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Videos