pixeltracker

Marc Shaiman responds to Michael John La Chiusa- Page 11

Marc Shaiman responds to Michael John La Chiusa

BoxFive Profile Photo
BoxFive
#250LaChiusa's THE MILD PARTY
Posted: 8/10/05 at 10:50am

"LaChiusa could not be reached for comment. ... he was rehearsing "Wild Party" at the Blank Theater in Los Angeles."

What a perfectly named theater for his version of the work.
Next stop should be the Bitter Theater in Teaneck.

Unfledge them of their...perriwigs, And they appear like bald-cootes, in the nest. Beaumont, Knt. Malta, (1616).

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#251FOOLISHNESS
Posted: 8/10/05 at 12:15pm

This whole thing has gotten way outta hand. Everyone should just grow up and act like a big boy. It's all petty and childish. My recommendation is to just get over it.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#252FOOLISHNESS
Posted: 8/10/05 at 12:31pm

The only thing I really want to say is that, even though I respect both composer's work and had a blast both times I saw Hairspray, I tend to agree with MJL's mindset that entertainment (even wildly amusing entertainment) does not always (and many times doesn't) make it art. And the entertainment side has recently, and in essecnce always has, overshadowed, the art side.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with that. After all, the first job of show business is to entertain. But it is a shame when the art side of this "art form" is completely shunned by producers and audiences.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
Updated On: 8/10/05 at 12:31 PM

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#253FOOLISHNESS
Posted: 8/10/05 at 12:31pm

1) Gunn, great review - but you wrote Tracy Miller twice, wrongly as Velma. May want to Edit that.

2) What you are all forgetting is LaChiusa did not come up with this. There have been other published sources saying what he said and using similar examples.

TheEnchantedHunter
#254FOOLISHNESS
Posted: 8/10/05 at 10:08pm

The sad fact is that both LaChiusa and Shaiman in their polarized ways are representative of what is wrong with contemporary musical theatre. Surely there must be a happy medium between esoteric, arid scores that please no one and generic, hook-driven pop scores that are indistinguishable from any number of formulaic songs. It is exactly this middlebrow (in the best sense of the word)sensibility that once informed the core group of classic American musicals and which has virtually disappeared from our stages.

TheEnchantedHunter
Ted Hunter, Cane, NH

Joshua488
#255FOOLISHNESS
Posted: 8/10/05 at 10:24pm

Marc Shaiman's attitude makes me sick.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#256FOOLISHNESS
Posted: 8/10/05 at 10:25pm

"that please no one"

Am I no one?

FindingNamo
#257FOOLISHNESS
Posted: 8/10/05 at 10:29pm

Your stupid girlie smirk and your pseudo-preppy clothes make ME sick, Joshua, and they have for months. We all have our crosses to bear.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#258FOOLISHNESS
Posted: 8/10/05 at 10:38pm

Hehehe.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

#259FOOLISHNESS
Posted: 8/10/05 at 10:42pm

I don't think Joshua has an appreciation for us fags who are out there. You want us to be quite and respectful of our place.

#260FOOLISHNESS
Posted: 8/10/05 at 10:46pm

Hey wonderboy!...I know you are but what am I?

FindingNamo
#261FOOLISHNESS
Posted: 8/10/05 at 10:49pm

Oh Joshua's a fag, when that avatar first appeared I thought it was a slightly more feminine Macy Gray. Without the stoner charm. I could barely believe the creature was male.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#262FOOLISHNESS
Posted: 8/10/05 at 10:55pm

Heh - Macy Gray.

I try.

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
#263FOOLISHNESS
Posted: 8/10/05 at 11:49pm

My review is fixed. Thanks Thenardier and DottieD.

My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...

MargoChanning
#264FOOLISHNESS
Posted: 8/11/05 at 1:46am

The Times' take on the feud:

"Not content with the exposure the Internet might bring, Mr. Shaiman then sent the "open letter" to colleagues like the director Joe Mantello, the playwright Terrence McNally, the producer Margo Lion and the librettist Thomas Meehan (not to mention at least one journalist).

"Let's be real: I sent that e-mail out and posted it hoping to stir up a reaction," said Mr. Shaiman, speaking from Amagansett, on Long Island. "I was surprised - and this is so ironic, because I'm known as a loose cannon among the people I work with - that he would go so on record to badmouth so many of the people working alongside of him, all with the same goals. And then he places it down in his article in such a scholarly fashion, to make it seem that this is fact. I'm not sure that he ever says 'In my opinion' or 'Just not my cup of tea.' "

Mr. LaChiusa, who is in Los Angeles rehearsing a production of "The Wild Party," responded to a request for an interview with a prepared statement: "I'm sorry I'm not able to speak as I'm in rehearsal. I'm pleased the essay served its purpose, which was to generate discussion."

Mr. LaChiusa has been a steady presence on Broadway and Off Broadway stages since emerging as a talent in the 1990's. He has two new musicals scheduled for the coming season: "See What I Wanna See" at the Public Theater this fall, and "The House of Bernarda Alba" at Lincoln Center Theater in early 2006. Nevertheless, his musically challenging shows, which draw on sources ranging from Euripides to Arthur Schnitzler, have often generated mixed reviews and disappointing box office receipts.

Those among Mr. Shaiman and Mr. LaChiusa's colleagues who agreed to comment on the spat expressed surprise at Mr. LaChiusa's public attack. "It's almost an unwritten thing that you don't knock other people," said Mr. Meehan, who collaborated on the books for "The Producers" and "Hairspray." "It's a tough business. Everybody who's anybody in the theater has had failures, up to and including Stephen Sondheim."

Ms. Lion, who produced "Hairspray," said, "What makes my blood boil is the notion that 'Hairspray' was some kind of contrivance and that the impulse behind it and dedication to creating it was somehow lesser than things that may be more - I don't even want to use the word serious - that have a more limited audience, to be honest."

David Yazbek, whose musical "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" was one of the shows deemed as "faux" in the essay, saw significance in the soapboxes chosen by the combatants for their respective arguments. "Can you pick a more pretentious vehicle for an article than Opera News?" he said, laughing. "Then, on the other hand, you have Shaiman posting to the bulletin boards where everybody loves him because he's condescended to go on."

Mr. Yazbek added that the situation brought to mind not any past theatrical skirmishes, but "Sullivan's Travels," Preston Sturges's classic 1941 movie about a Hollywood director of comedies who wants to create a film with a social conscience. "Maybe LaChiusa wants to make 'O Brother, Where Art Thou?' and maybe Shaiman wants to do 'Ants in Your Pants of 1938,' " he said. "You know what? As long as it's good, I'll take either one."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/11/theater/newsandfeatures/11spat.html?

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#265FOOLISHNESS
Posted: 8/11/05 at 1:53am

Thanks, Margs.

I love Yazbek. He's so cool.

Rico Suave.

Joshua488
#266FOOLISHNESS
Posted: 8/11/05 at 2:01am

That actually made me laugh!

All I was saying was that there really isn't any need for Marc Shaiman to be disrespectful back. I know that Michael had no class or respect in his writings, but neither did Marc. I just don't understand the whole feisty attitude thing. I respect Marc and his talents, but I just think that being classy and the proverbial "bigger person" is always much more efficient in defending yourself.

But of course, I don't matter, so why do I bother? Updated On: 8/11/05 at 02:01 AM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#267FOOLISHNESS
Posted: 8/11/05 at 2:06am

Thank you Margo. Wow what a exciting year Marc is having. First Mathew Brodericks date for the Tonys and now this. This is so Bette Davis - Joan Crawford. I am loving it.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

jw28
#268FOOLISHNESS
Posted: 8/11/05 at 2:13am

Wow, this is crazy, haha.

Hairspraydoll Profile Photo
Hairspraydoll
#269FOOLISHNESS
Posted: 8/11/05 at 3:20am

All I can say is wow, this really blew up. Crazy.

Be the change you want in the world....

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#270FOOLISHNESS
Posted: 8/11/05 at 5:05am

I think Yazbeck just put the lid on it.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#271Brother, Where Art Thou?
Posted: 8/11/05 at 8:49am

Hey, Yazbek! I mentioned Sullivan's Travels FIRST!

(Maybe he's reading this thread?)

FindingNamo
#272Brother, Where Art Thou?
Posted: 8/11/05 at 10:19am

He wouldn't condescend to come on here.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#273Brother, Where Art Thou?
Posted: 8/11/05 at 11:23am

Sending copies of the retort to professional colleagues? This is getting out of hand.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#274Brother, Where Art Thou?
Posted: 8/11/05 at 11:26am

I'm awaiting Sondheim's response:

"What I do?"

Videos