The Color Purple - the musical

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#0The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/9/05 at 4:04pm

The Website has been updated. It now has a video clip on it which features interviews and oddly enough shows many images from the film.

The Color Purple

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

apdarcey
#1re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/9/05 at 4:05pm

i thought they were trying to distance themselves from the film?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#2re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/9/05 at 4:06pm

Well seeing as how their marquis is pretty much lifted from the opening credits of the film, I don't think they're trying to drift too far from the movie...

brdlwyr
#3re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/9/05 at 4:11pm

Has the show been cast?

apdarcey
#4re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/9/05 at 4:16pm

only lachanze.

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#5re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/9/05 at 4:17pm

i'm so excited to see this show! thanks for the link...

Mind is Mantra.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
Kevo711 Profile Photo
Kevo711
#7re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/9/05 at 4:27pm

what time period does this story take place in?

apdarcey
#8re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/9/05 at 4:38pm

lachanze is the only confirmed cast member bso....

personally i'm hoping that chuck cooper stops wasting his talents in lennon and does color purple instead.

Michael Bennett
#9re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/9/05 at 4:42pm

Well the book spans from about 1910 to the 30s
Updated On: 8/9/05 at 04:42 PM

iluvtheatertrash
#10re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/9/05 at 4:57pm

Is it sad if that video clip made me cry?

I cannot wait for this.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#11re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/9/05 at 8:17pm

the music is gorgeous

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#12re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/9/05 at 8:23pm

I've worked with the choreographer - Donald Byrd, and he is amazing.

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

#13re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/9/05 at 8:42pm

Looks wonderful! I really want to see this! And yeah...I got a little teary too watching the video. :)

~Rosalynn

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#14re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/9/05 at 8:50pm

I cannot wait for this musical. I hope it wins the Tony and I hope LaChanze wins as well. Just an incredible story and the music sounds phenomenal. I have a feeling this is going to be a very big critical hit but whether or not audiences will flock to it is a bit uncertain. I hope to God they do but we shall see...I'm gonna be crying a hell of a lot in this one LOL...I'll say that right now...

bso: what role has Saycon been rumored to play?

Michael Bennett
#15re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/10/05 at 1:04am

Saycon played Nettie in Atlanta

Jazzysuite82
#16re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/10/05 at 1:16am

This is a show that could be amazing or reeeaaallly bad. The movie and the book are so good. Here's hoping that the show will be amazing. It's got every potential to be. I hope the score is better than what I've heard previously. I think they've had time to work on it. Crossin' my fingers. PS LaChanze looks beautiful.

aegeusrocks Profile Photo
aegeusrocks
#17re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/10/05 at 1:34am

God, I hope this wins over everyone. LaChanze is amazing in everything she does, and the music in the background sounds absolutely gorgeous. Here's to hoping Saycon and Adriane join in like they did in Atlanta...As you can tell from the avatar, I'm a bit biased re: The Color Purple - the musical

Blue J
#18re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/10/05 at 1:36am

So excited for this show! I can't wait to see it! Already everything seems to amazing. I'm looking forward to see who they cast.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#19re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/10/05 at 11:01am

Here's to hoping Saycon and Adriane join in like they did in Atlanta...

Adriane has already said that she won't be back for the Broadway production. I believe she's contracted for a year in Doubt, so it's not possible.

Saycon's return, on the other hand, would not surprise me. Given all the buzz around Ana Gasteyer, Saycon seems to no longer be the first choice to replace Shoshana when she leaves in January. It would be a smart move for her to jump ship and go into this show.

fiesta1
#20re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/10/05 at 11:37am

I saw the production in Atlanta, and would love to see Saycon again. I'm also looking forward to seeing the new choreography (I felt the choreography was one of the weaker elements in the Atlanta production).

The Atlanta production notes credited Spielberg, so the production definitely draws from the movie. Although the book is marvelous (and well deserving of the Pulitzer), most people equate The Color Purple with the movie. My guess is that the creative team knows this.

apdarcey
#21re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/10/05 at 11:40am

as mef said... lenox is in doubt and won't be doing cp.

as for saycon, i think the best move for everybody would be for saycon to do cp and ana to move to new york and do elphaba.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#22re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/10/05 at 1:27pm

There is quite a bit of dialogue lifted from the film. I assume this is mostly due to the fact that the book is in journal form and contains little dialogue, so it is difficult to be too distanced from the film. I do think the score could be beefed up from the Atlanta production (especially the finale), but overall it is good, though not quite memorable. Many times, the songs start off great, but then fall short just as you might think they would take off. As with the film, Sophia is the scene-stealing character that can run away with the show (especially in the number "Hell No"), and the use of the gossipy women are an absolute delight and could be used even more as narrative. Hopefully, the show will be cranked up a couple of notches for Broadway that would put this show over the top. Looking at the upcoming season thus far, it is definitely in the running for a Tony nom for Best Musical (along with Woman in White).

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#23re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/10/05 at 1:28pm

i know! lets pray we get Andrienne Lennox!

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#24re: The Color Purple - the musical
Posted: 8/10/05 at 1:33pm

Adriane Lenox isn't coming back. Period.

Videos