Biggest Showtowns Outside NY

QueenAnne82 Profile Photo
QueenAnne82
#0Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 11:17am

Who's considered the big "players" besides NY?

Everything in this room is *eat*able. Even I'm *eat*able. But that is called cannibalism, my dear children, and is in fact frowned upon in most societies. ~Willy Wonka

It's TRUE! GET A FREE IPOD!!! It's really easy http://premiumipods.freepay.com/?r=15232098 Ask me any questions about it.

I love Ana Gasteyer and Chicago Theater!!!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#1re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 11:24am

Would big urban areas like L.A., Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington, DC be considered showtowns?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Fosse76
#2re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 11:30am

Chicago is considered to be the best theatre town in the country, by MANY New York theatre professionals. If you want to get into theatre, that's the place to start.

Bwaybaby109
#3re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 11:31am

atlanta is a good place to find theatre work with the Alliance Theatre and Theatre of the Stars.

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#4re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 11:35am

For sheer numbers, Chicago comes closest to New York City.
Personally I think DC has the finest theatres in the US, with The Shakespeare Theatre leading the pack.

WOSQ
#5re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 11:35am

Toronto

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

apdarcey
#6re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 11:36am

dc is not a theatre town by any means. outside of the us london is obviously the biggest theatre town.

touchmeinthemorning
#7re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 11:41am

The ranking usually looks something like this:

1. NYC
2. London
3. Toronto
4. Sydney
5. Chicago

Other big theatre cities in the US include Atlanta, Dallas, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. Florida has a ton of regional theatres as does Ohio...but none so concentrated in one city.

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

QueenAnne82 Profile Photo
QueenAnne82
#8re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 11:42am

oh... we have an AWESOME shakespeare theater in Chi town! The theater is on Navy Pier... an amazing space, and they always do incredible productions. If you're ever in the windy city, you've got to check it out.

Everything in this room is *eat*able. Even I'm *eat*able. But that is called cannibalism, my dear children, and is in fact frowned upon in most societies. ~Willy Wonka

It's TRUE! GET A FREE IPOD!!! It's really easy http://premiumipods.freepay.com/?r=15232098 Ask me any questions about it.

I love Ana Gasteyer and Chicago Theater!!!

Fosse76
#9re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 12:21pm

Whose ranking is that? I was thinking stateside...but I think London is pretty close as New York. Does Toronto really have that much theatre? I'd never heard Sydney in connection with theatre before (not disputing you at all, just curious).

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#10re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 12:27pm

Definitely NOT Seattle!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

apdarcey
#11re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 1:35pm

touch is definitely right with that ranking.

colleen_lee
#12re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 1:37pm

Minneapolis/St. Paul surprisingly has a huge theater scene. They're actually second to New York in theaters per capita and have some big hitters like Tony Award winners The Guthrie, The Children's Theater and Theatre de la Jeune Lune.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

touchmeinthemorning
#13re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 1:42pm

Actually, last I read, St Paul had MORE theatres per person than NYC.

However, three theatres and 8 people living there makes for an odd ratio.

=)

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

Kringas
#14re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 1:42pm

Boise, Idaho has a thriving theatre scene, particulary scatological performance art.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

CodeName
#15re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 1:48pm

DC may surprise some people. I am finding more things I want to see every day, not only in DC but also in Northern VA. It certainly cannot compete with NYC or London, but DC has a lot to offer.

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#16re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 2:12pm

Borstal Boy, I think you'd be surprised. I've seen many times a ranking of US theatre cities that looks like this...

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Seattle
4. Boston

From what I know, that ranking is based on the density of theatres within the city, i.e. they take the population of the city, and divide it by how many theatres are in the city and you get a number that the cities are ranked by. I love Seattle as a theatre city, and I think it's growing quickly.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#17re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 2:14pm

Seattle is hardly a "big player" anymore. Hosting 1 or 2 pre Broadway tryouts hardly makes it a big player.

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#18re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 2:18pm

Anymore? When was it a "big player"?? Hosting Broadway tryouts isn't the only thing that can make you a reputable theatre city.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

WOSQ
#19re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 2:26pm

You could do a nice theatre and beach vacation in Sydney. I have.

If you go 'in season' you can factor in music, opera and dance and then you'll be really pressed for time to hit the beaches where it could be a trifle chilly anyway.

As for the US, I look not just at the road houses, but the resident theatres as well. This would make Boston, DC, Chicago, Seattle, SF and LA pretty good. New Haven/Hartford has two road houses plus three major regional theatres and Goodspeed. That's a good standard for two small cities.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#20re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 2:29pm

It was a big player for a while, when Daniel Sullivan ran the rep.

Yeah, no. Seattle sucks for everything other than tryouts.
I guess I might think otherwise if I were an actor trying to believe my town was bigger than it is.

Updated On: 8/17/05 at 02:29 PM

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#21re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 2:32pm

Thank you Colleen...

St. Paul, Minnesota is actually second to NYC in terms of theatres. Shows like The Lion King and Mamma Mia debuted there, as well as many other Broadway shows before heading that way. Also, a few years ago Mercedes rhuel and Patrick Stewart starred in Virgina Woolf at the Guthrie - a VERY well known theatre.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

BrookArtsCenter Profile Photo
BrookArtsCenter
#22re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 2:47pm

Bound Brook, New Jersey

Hey, I can dream, can't I? :)

-------------------- Brook Arts Center closed due to flooding from April 2007 Nor'easter. Watch www.brookarts.org for more info.

Fosse76
#23re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 3:20pm

"As for the US, I look not just at the road houses, but the resident theatres as well. This would make Boston, DC, Chicago, Seattle, SF and LA pretty good. New Haven/Hartford has two road houses plus three major regional theatres and Goodspeed. That's a good standard for two small cities. "

I wasn't even thinking about the road houses for Chicago, since Clear Channel hardly books anything anymore. :o) I think, generally speaking, Chicago sends more works to New York than any other American city. Most of the theatre scene in Chicago is not-for-profit and there are a lot of fringe groups. If you count the number of theatre company's (or groups), then Chicago is the top market, higher than New York. There is a lot of sharing when it comes to stages (they don't all perform works simultaneously...though it would be interesting).

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#24re: Biggest Showtowns Outside NY
Posted: 8/17/05 at 3:25pm

Odessa, Texas...almost...

Videos