Arthur Miller's best work?

Jezebel Profile Photo
Jezebel
#0Arthur Miller's best work?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 6:07pm

What is your favourite Arthur Miller play?

I've just seen a fantastic production of "A View from the Bridge", and it has now overtaken "Death of a Salesman" as my own personal favourite. How have the productions you've seen changed your view of the play as it is read?
Updated On: 8/21/05 at 06:07 PM

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#1re: Arthur Miller's best work?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 6:10pm

Marrying Marilyn Monroe.

No, I really do like THE CRUCIBLE.

Beergoggles
#2re: Arthur Miller's best work?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 6:41pm

The Crucible is supposingly the greatest play ever written (or so i've been told)! I think Death Of A Salesman is superb... i saw a bad production of it but when i read it... completely different!

Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!

JSousa Profile Photo
JSousa
#3re: Arthur Miller's best work?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 6:52pm

All my sons. A little lesser known work of Arthur Miller, but one of my favorite.

"This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man."

TennesseeTwang
#4re: Arthur Miller's best work?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 7:04pm

God bless you for actually starting a thread about straight plays!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#5re: Arthur Miller's best work?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 7:05pm

Salesman & every other play # 2

Poster Emeritus

Mr. TN
#6re: Arthur Miller's best work?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 9:02pm

Although I am not a fan of Miller (Williams is my favorite), I love The Crucible. For me, Death of... has been talked to death and done in so many ways that after seeing it tens of times, it loses its edge and becomes a little overdone. Still a great play, however. JSousa, I also think that All My Sons is a fantastic play. So my point is probably that I have no favorite but the above are probably three of his best works.

AnotherDay46 Profile Photo
AnotherDay46
#7re: Arthur Miller's best work?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 9:04pm

I like The Crucible the best. I saw All My Sons and I seemed to enjoy this one more. ^^;;

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#8re: Arthur Miller's best work?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 9:10pm

All My sons. I really loved this play.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

stage_door76 Profile Photo
stage_door76
#9re: Arthur Miller's best work?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 9:34pm

i dont like view from a bridge at all

i like death of a salesman, but in my opinion, the crucible is without doubt his better work

"...But Kungurtseva reels off multiple fouettes and the tape is stopped so she can take a bow. The Jester, an abomination introduced to Swan Lake in Soviet times, extorts applause from the audience. The cuts don't help the storytelling, the production is bare bones and they go for the '50s-style happy ending. The audience cheers like mad at the end. It's the Russian ballet, after all..."

iluvtheatertrash
#10re: Arthur Miller's best work?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 9:38pm

The Crucible

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Johnnytoc
#11re: Arthur Miller's best work?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 9:41pm

I read a lot of his work for a paper recently, no doubt, 'All My Sons' is my favorite by far.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#12re: Arthur Miller's best work?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 9:43pm

I guess I'm the odd man out here, because I've never been wowed by THE CRUCIBLE. It's too blatantly an allegory of McCarthyism and the Red Scare, and John Proctor's over-the-top heroic speeches in the final scenes of the play are cringe-inducing.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

stage_door76 Profile Photo
stage_door76
#13re: Arthur Miller's best work?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 9:46pm

as much as i attempted to read what you had to say bluewizard, i just couldn't

nice avatar

"...But Kungurtseva reels off multiple fouettes and the tape is stopped so she can take a bow. The Jester, an abomination introduced to Swan Lake in Soviet times, extorts applause from the audience. The cuts don't help the storytelling, the production is bare bones and they go for the '50s-style happy ending. The audience cheers like mad at the end. It's the Russian ballet, after all..."

thibodeaux Profile Photo
thibodeaux
#14re: Arthur Miller's best work?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 9:53pm

I read and saw the film version of "All My Sons" and I loved it.

Loved it.

It's stellar.

Miller was a genius.

whatever and ever amen - ben folds five

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#15re: Arthur Miller's best work?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 10:09pm

I've always thought Death of a Salesman was his best work.

I also found Crucible to be too much. Everytime I see it or watch it, I want to scream, "Yes! We get it! You're commenting on McCarthy-ism!" And Proctor's holier than thou speeches get on my nerves too.

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#16re: Arthur Miller's best work?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 10:35pm

Well...Salesman is considered a classic of his...I really like Crucible too.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#17re: Arthur Miller's best work?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 10:37pm

His best play is Death of a Salesman.

My personal favorite is After the Fall.

Jon
#18re: Arthur Miller's best work?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 10:58pm

Another underappreciated gem is THE PRICE. It's not a grand tragedy like SALESMAN, ALL MY SONS, or VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE. No one dies. It's just a brilliant drama about sibling rivalry. One critic described it as "Biff and Happy - 25 years later."

TheHumanTorch Profile Photo
TheHumanTorch
#19re: Arthur Miller's best work?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:15am

its between The Crucible and Death of a Salesman For Me (probably for a lot of people too) but I really did enjoy The Crucible the most, because of its representation of the McCarthy era

Videos