pixeltracker

CHITTY BROKE DOWN! (This can't be a sale booster)- Page 2

CHITTY BROKE DOWN! (This can't be a sale booster)

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#25re: CHITTY broke down (this can't be a sale booster)
Posted: 8/31/05 at 5:53pm

In the Playbill.com article about this incident, the spokesperson for the production says that the car has never broken down before in previews or in regular performances. But didn't someone say that they went to a preview where the car never took off at all? (I tried searching the old messages and couldn't find the message, but I remember someone saying that at some point because I was paranoid about buying tickets when I heard that the car didn't work at a performance.)

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

Kevo711 Profile Photo
Kevo711
#26re: CHITTY broke down (this can't be a sale booster)
Posted: 8/31/05 at 5:57pm

i so wish i was there!

LionessInWinter
#27re: CHITTY broke down (this can't be a sale booster)
Posted: 8/31/05 at 6:05pm

I think I'd pay more money to see this happen than see it again done with no glitches. Raul (and the rest of the cast)...my hero.

Am very jealous.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#28re: CHITTY broke down (this can't be a sale booster)
Posted: 8/31/05 at 6:06pm

I keep wanting to see at least something (even something small, but bigger than dropping a plate and an egg) go wrong, because Raúl's ad-libbing abilities are a force to be reckoned with.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 8/31/05 at 06:06 PM

greatdct
#29re: CHITTY broke down (this can't be a sale booster)
Posted: 8/31/05 at 8:50pm

I'm seeing this show again in a few weeks. I want to be entertained like that!

gavrochegirl
#30re: CHITTY broke down (this can't be a sale booster)
Posted: 8/31/05 at 8:56pm

BAHA. I would've loved to be there. It would be sad because the car broke down, but it would be fun listening to Raul sing a bit of the Time Warp.

What the puck?!

Alix7272 Profile Photo
Alix7272
#31re: CHITTY broke down (this can't be a sale booster)
Posted: 8/31/05 at 8:58pm

wow, it sounds like an amazing performance. it makes me want to see the show again (secretly wishing to be entertained in a similar fashion). raul is simply incredible. thanks for reporting!

No Child: http://www.epictheatrectr.org/
I Love You Because OCR: http://www.psclassics.com/cd_iloveyou.html

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#32re: CHITTY broke down (this can't be a sale booster)
Posted: 8/31/05 at 9:03pm

Raul doing the Time Warp!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I would have LOVED to see that!!

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

WiCkEd4LyFfE
#33re: CHITTY broke down (this can't be a sale booster)
Posted: 8/31/05 at 9:10pm

so funny! wish i was there

*Kristen*

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#34re: CHITTY broke down (this can't be a sale booster)
Posted: 8/31/05 at 9:22pm

That sounds incredible, but scary, especially for the actors. That's a lot of pressure. I want to see this show agaaaaaaain.

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

insomniak
#35re: CHITTY broke down (this can't be a sale booster)
Posted: 8/31/05 at 9:35pm

I'dve paid full ticket price to see this.

Any other details? What kind of questions did they answer? How did all this start? Did the actors just go 'ok, let's make stuff up!' or what?

Raul + Time Warp = Gold.

Oh, if only there were a recording.

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#36re: CHITTY broke down (this can't be a sale booster)
Posted: 9/2/05 at 1:48am

it was a pretty incredible night, the staff is still talking about it. some other tidbits I can recall:

-Raul made a comment that Jan Maxwell was backstage getting ready to go on with some Sondheim tunes

-someone in the balcony yelled that they couldn't hear what was going on (the mics were down) and a cast member I won't name responded with "That's what happens when you spend so little money!"

-at one point the brilliant Robert Sella desperately convinced people to stay by giving them an idea of what they'd be getting at other shows: "Well u coulda gone to see HAIRSPRAY but they'd just be standing there, y'know, spraying someone's hair. Or you could be at the PILLOWMAN, where it's just a man laying there with a pillow..."

in regards to the Playbill article, this is the 1st time the car has ever broken down on Broadway. there was a small tech stall during previews with the car, but it did eventually take off and run smoothly.

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

Updated On: 9/2/05 at 01:48 AM

LionessInWinter
#37re: CHITTY broke down (this can't be a sale booster)
Posted: 9/2/05 at 2:26am

Thanks for the extra details! What a night!

Funny comment to the balcony people, though I'd bet they didn't think so.

AngusN
#38re: CHITTY broke down (this can't be a sale booster)
Posted: 9/2/05 at 8:01am

Without sounding like a pessimist, it did exactly the same in the London previews, this leads me to speculate that it maybe a publicity stunt. It certainly has got an awful lot of publicity for this reason. Good luck to them anyway, it is a great show! (more publicity - ha!)

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#39re: CHITTY broke down (this can't be a sale booster)
Posted: 9/2/05 at 10:51am

Or you could be at the PILLOWMAN, where it's just a man laying there with a pillow...

Brilliant.

A publicity stunt? How is a malfunction a publicity stunt? People don't want to see shows where stuff doesn't work, ESPECIALLY not tourists. The only thing it promotes is how talented the cast is, and how quickly they can think on their feet. That's totally absurd. I think they'd rather have people think they can do it right.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 9/2/05 at 10:51 AM

thespian geek Profile Photo
thespian geek
#40re: CHITTY broke down (this can't be a sale booster)
Posted: 9/2/05 at 11:32am

Not to sound like I'm on Angus' side of this, but I can see where they're coming from. As they said, the "exact same thing" happened in London. Also, look at posts above these. See how many people said they'd pay full ticket price if they got to see a malfunction and have the same thing happen when they see the show?

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#41re: CHITTY broke down (this can't be a sale booster)
Posted: 9/2/05 at 12:48pm

the idea that it was intentional is absurd, but if it does wind up inspiring some people who read these boards to go see it- then that's something good that came of it. I'm sure much of the audience came away feeling they were lucky to have seen something rather one-of-a-kind, but that sort of word-of-mouth isn't a reliable promotional concept.

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

Updated On: 9/2/05 at 12:48 PM

fluerette Profile Photo
fluerette
#42re: CHITTY broke down (this can't be a sale booster)
Posted: 9/2/05 at 1:23pm

Wow, that sounds like a really fun night. I love Chitty's cast so much! I wish I could see the show again.

"Are you a theatre junkie?" -my boss

Emilia Profile Photo
Emilia
#43re: CHITTY broke down (this can't be a sale booster)
Posted: 9/2/05 at 1:41pm

lol sounds like a fun experience. This is why I love live theatre!

Slight threadjack but can anyone please tell me how long Raul is staying with the show?

thanks

'It was six hours! I don't even like to have sex or eat bacon for six hours!' 'You are faboulous creatures each and every one'