pixeltracker

THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical- Page 2

THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#25re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 2/10/08 at 8:07pm

Wow...TCM. Strange choice for that channel. I liked them when they played only REALLY old movies, but since all the newer movies they play are also great, I can't really complain!

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 2/10/08 at 8:13pm

Updated On: 5/8/09 at 08:13 PM

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#27re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 2/10/08 at 10:21pm

I think, if they do the costumes and staging right, it could probably run all year round. We still have Wicked, after all.

Jack should wear a black costume that has glow in the dark paint that can be played off of with black lights.

I would love to see Buster Pointdexter actually play Ooogie Boogie in the flesh, well, within the costume but he is an amazingly great performer over all.

It has to have both Burton/Elfman over seeing it. If anything to preserve their vision of the show.

Even though Christmas is mentioned in this production, so is Halloween and they threw in the Easter Bunny just for fun. Because of this though as a show that would appeal to a large audience with built in great songs, wonderfully creative characters, it just seems like it would do very well on Broadway.

I know, crowding a stage with Movie themes isn't my ideal either. I do really enjoy this Movie and always imagined it as a stage show. It should be brought out just so it has touring rights. Like Evil Dead, the Musical, we can always use a little fun and humor, especially during the Halloween/Christmas Season. Though I really think, if the right creative minds get together, this show could easily gain enough of an audience to support it year round. The music and characters are just that good.

It's a great generational show too. Offering opportunities for performers of various ages. That is something many Stage Actors look forward to and we need more of in the future.
Updated On: 2/11/08 at 10:21 PM

Renthead#1 Profile Photo
Renthead#1
#28re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 2/11/08 at 1:05am

I know she already directed a Disney show but based on The Lion King and Across the Universe I think Julie Taymor could do a wonderful adaptation for this show.

Go ask Alice When she's ten feet tall
Updated On: 6/29/08 at 01:05 AM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#29re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 2/11/08 at 5:54am

I think this is a great idea, though I WOULD like to see it as a SHORT show, 100 minutes tops, than ballooned into an another over-stuffed, drawn-out Disney musical. The movie has all the story you need and it's like...70 minutes long.

coifishy Profile Photo
coifishy
#30re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 2/13/08 at 3:28pm

YES!
me and my sister are planning to make a nightmare before christmas musical!
im going to play sally and shes going to be ogie boogie
haha
we'll get you tickets!
we still have alot of work to get done
and we have to get the rights for it but were gonna try!
;D

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#31re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 2/13/08 at 3:33pm

Why would someone say Tim Burton needs to direct this? He didn't direct the movie, Henry Selick did.

nitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
#32re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 2/13/08 at 3:42pm

JohnPopa: Since it's billed as TIM BURTON'S THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, people assume he directed it.

"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere

BeachHouseJim
#33re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 5/28/08 at 10:45am

Interesting - I've been messing around with developing a stage version too.... I'm got some ideas for set design, using 1/2 drops and other elements to tie in all the fabulous scenery. How far have you come along on it?

THe musical score can be licensed thru Disney; I haven't found where to get the OK to do the play. Any ideas?

jackson992
#34re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 5/28/08 at 2:29pm

I think this show would be fantastic and I have never considered it a Christmas show.

thatgirl712 Profile Photo
thatgirl712
#35re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 5/28/08 at 2:34pm

Sounds good!

If I heard the bells and the banjos ring

puppetman2
#36re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 5/28/08 at 3:19pm

To be true to the original material, it should be done with puppets sort of like AVE Q. People in costumes and make up would really distort the whole idea.

It Sucks To Be Me

gonepishing
#37re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 5/28/08 at 3:48pm

The set and costumes are far too complex. Even if they could pull it off, it'd be like having specatcle shoved down your throat; Not to mention look ridiculous. If the people in charge were to turn a Tim Burton film into a musical, "Corpse Bride" would be the best choice.

bertandrew2 Profile Photo
bertandrew2
#38re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 5/28/08 at 3:50pm

A community theatre in Connecticut did this a couple of years ago. They did not have the rights, but they did it anyway. I called to find out how they were able to get away with it and they said they wrote a letter to Disney but did not hear back--so they took that as 'no news is good news' and did it.

myshikobit Profile Photo
myshikobit
#39re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 5/28/08 at 5:56pm

Yeah, my kid I know wanted to do it for a halloween play/musical (he couldn't decide). Obviously, the ridiculous idea of getting the rights and not spending a billion dollars was impossible, thus the idea stayed an idea...thank god.

"There are only two worthwhile things to leave behind when we depart this world of ours: children and art." -Sunday In The Park With George

bwaybabe2
#40re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 5/30/08 at 4:50am

I think a way to get around the animation issue would be unique costuming and, of course, makeup.
At first, I thought it would not cut it, but...yes, I think it might just work :)

And I will be in the Mezzanine center! re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical

lightguy06222
#41re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 5/30/08 at 12:33pm

CASTING ANYONE???

Jack- Barrett Foa?? this character stumped me!
Sally- Celia Kenan Bolger??
Oogie- ???
Santa- Harvey Fierstein???
The Dr- Alan Cumming- He would be so creepy!
Lock- Christopher Fitzgerald
Stock- Mary Faber
Barroll- Tyler Maynard
The Mayor- Christopher Sieber

Julia Murney should also be in the cast somewhere!

(I apologize for my inability to spell, and my carelessness in actually looking up correct spellings)

Puppets would work extremely well for some, but I think most should be full costumes. The design would have to be EXTREMELY abstract of course, along the lines of LION KING, with usage of masks and such, just nix the african element.

Set could be amazing! I actually designed it for a theatre project once, and it came out pretty cool! I did a revolve that had pieces that moved up and down (similar to LORD OF THE RINGS) but not as intense, and then ALOT of flying units. Was a blast!

into_the_woods2 Profile Photo
into_the_woods2
#42re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 5/30/08 at 12:37pm

i actually think if they pull it off (sure, it will be insanely expensive) it could be SOO good and a lot of people would see it

"The good news is I have an excellent Tony speech. The bad news is I've had it for forty-five years."-Elaine Stritch

Noel&Cole
#43re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 5/30/08 at 1:49pm

This would be a wonderful stage show! I wish Disney would do it. It has an amazing score and would be an audience favorite I am sure. I do wonder if it could run during the whole year. It is probally true that it would only really be popular Sept thru January.

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#44re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 6/28/08 at 4:06pm

The movie has a big enough following that I think it could do really well year round.

jimmy_oh_jimmy Profile Photo
jimmy_oh_jimmy
#45re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 6/28/08 at 5:01pm

I think Nightmare has excellent potential if the right people are involved. Could be classic

Shut Up It's Been 29 Years! ~ St. Patti

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 6/28/08 at 5:02pm

Updated On: 5/8/09 at 05:02 PM

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
#47re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 6/28/08 at 9:01pm

would people want Jack to be a man (in black) with a puppet infront of him...a la Timone in The Lion King.....or, just a man in costume.

it might actually work quite well that way, Jack is an iconic looking character, having some man with a white head and wide smile wouldn't cut it I don't think?

i'm picturing the entrance of Jack right now, rising up from the stage.

that would be goosebumping (new word there).

xerotheory7803
#48re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 6/28/08 at 11:46pm

I think Ryan Ward would be a great choice for Jack.

defyingravity08 Profile Photo
defyingravity08
#49re: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the musical
Posted: 6/29/08 at 12:09am

I found footage from a live foreign production.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MfpDpR60jew&feature=related