News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from "Phantom.."

Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from "Phantom.."

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#0Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from "Phantom.."
Posted: 9/8/05 at 10:35pm

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

ashley0139
#1re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from
Posted: 9/8/05 at 10:47pm

Definetly Emmy Rossum. Sarah Brightman's voice grates on me so bad. I can't stand it! Emmy's voice, while not my favorite, is SO much easier on my ears. I like listening to her.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

timote316
#2re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from
Posted: 9/8/05 at 10:49pm

ashley, we are going to get grilled for this, but I agree with you. Sarah's voice is just too strong for me, I guess.

freeadmission Profile Photo
freeadmission
#3re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from
Posted: 9/8/05 at 10:50pm

As much as I hate Emmy's compulsion to slide between notes, I find her voice much easier to listen to than Brightman's frog-in-her-throat croaking.

I need to hear someone else sing this stuff. LOL

#4re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from
Posted: 9/8/05 at 10:50pm

Sarah Brightman

No contest... I don't like Sarah Brightman's voice much, but I would not call what Emmy Rossum does singing in Phantom. So many others are much more qualified to play the role, and Sarah can actually hit the notes.

ashley0139
#5re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from
Posted: 9/8/05 at 10:53pm

timote, I'm ready for the fight re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from One day I got into a big fight with another girl who was arguing that Sarah Brightman was the best soprano ever. Got some strange looks when we were yelling at each other. Haha.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

CostumeMistress Profile Photo
CostumeMistress
#6re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from
Posted: 9/8/05 at 10:54pm

ABSOLUTELY Sarah Brightman. I simply CANNOT STAND Emmy's overly breathy "singing," or, even worse, her "I have a single facial expression that never changes" brand of "acting."

Avatar - Isaac, my blue-fronted Amazon parrot. Adopted 9/7/07. Age 30 (my pet is older than me!)

boytobroadway
#7re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from
Posted: 9/8/05 at 10:54pm

AMEN TO THAT korenglish!!!!

Sarah for me to...Emmy was very screachy on the high notes, and my best friend who is only 14 can hit them and way higher ones easily...emmy can stick to pop songs,
B2B

ashley0139
#8re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from
Posted: 9/8/05 at 10:58pm

Costume, the original question had nothing to do with her acting abilities though.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#9re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from
Posted: 9/8/05 at 10:59pm

I didn't even know there could be a debate about this matter, but then again everyone has different opinions. Sarah Brightman's voice is impeccable as Christine, ok nobody buys her as a young and naive chorus girl but while Emmy Rossum has the looks, her voice is ridiculously weak.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Joshua488
#10re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from

Sarah Brightman. Emmy Rossum was too breathy for my taste. And the ending of the title song was lowered for her because she couldn't sing what was originally written. Definitely Sarah Brightman.

Conor Profile Photo
Conor
#11re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from

Sarah by far. While I don't love her singing in Phantom (which is hard for me to admit because I"m a huge fan of hers and have most of her albums)she clearly out sings Emmy who made a very weak Christine.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#12re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from
Posted: 9/8/05 at 11:03pm

i prefer Sarah...can't believe Emmy played a role originated by someone way more talented than her. There must be a shortage when it comes to sopranos. =)

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Updated On: 9/8/05 at 11:03 PM

CostumeMistress Profile Photo
CostumeMistress
#13re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from
Posted: 9/8/05 at 11:06pm

Her sub-par acting skills made the singing even harder to listen to; hence, a contribution.

Avatar - Isaac, my blue-fronted Amazon parrot. Adopted 9/7/07. Age 30 (my pet is older than me!)

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#14re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from

At this point Emmy, but I think that's b/c I have the movie soundtrack and it's what I'm used to. I've heard Sarah's rendition of a couple songs after being totally used to the CD and now I just really prefer Emmy. Sarah's notes just seem overly vibrato.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#15re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from

Emmy by far. While Emmy was not the vocally best Christine out there. I MUCH prefer her to Sarah Brightman. Sarah to me, only sounded strong on "Phantom of the Opera" and parts of "Think of Me". I thought Emmy sounded very good during "Wishing you were Somehow Here Again" and a few others. But hey, my opinion isn't fact.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Alex LaVelle
#16re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from
Posted: 9/8/05 at 11:08pm

In my book, Emmy easily trumps Sarah. Also, on a side note, Rebecca Caine falls between the two.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#17re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from
Posted: 9/8/05 at 11:15pm

I prefer Sarah for sheer ability and Emmy for the emotion. I wonder what the movie would've been like had Hayley Westenra been in it though.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

BroadwayBettini2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBettini2
#18re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from
Posted: 9/8/05 at 11:16pm

Emmy is not a good singer, Sarah is not my favorite, though better, wait much better, so she wins by default.

I will admit though, Sarah's voice does get on my nerves. But Emmy is in no way a true Soprano. She sounds like the pre-teens standing outside the theater trying to sing think of me. I have heard Emmy sing other things, I think she is much more suited for a more mezzo range.

But they are hard to compare, because I perfer neither. Sarah sounded too old, Emmy didn't sound like a Soprano nor a budding singer, Why couldn't someone pick someone with more talent.

"You gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?" -Bernadette Peters SUPPORT ALL SHOOK UP!!!

Conor Profile Photo
Conor
#19re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from
Posted: 9/8/05 at 11:21pm

I love Sarah's 'Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" and "Phantom of the Opera" I find her weak on other parts. As for her age, I don't find her to sound that old, and Christine really isn't supposed to be all that young, not as young as Emmy Rossum played her, that was purely for cinematic effect. Look at Sandra Joseph who is playing the role now and looks like she's 35, tho I can't stand her.

BroadwayBettini2
#20re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from
Posted: 9/8/05 at 11:27pm

When I first Listened to OBC I thought, WOW Christine sounds like she's thirty, when in fact she's supposed to be 17. Eh, and Emmy was Blah :P

"You gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?" -Bernadette Peters SUPPORT ALL SHOOK UP!!!

Conor Profile Photo
Conor
#21re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from
Posted: 9/8/05 at 11:37pm

I feel like I read somewhere that Christine isn't normally portrayed as being that young. Actually it may have been on the extra footage on the movie DVD. I mean not 30 but maybe like mid 20's...

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
BroadwayBettini2
#23re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from
Posted: 9/8/05 at 11:42pm

really? I was always told and always assumed she was 17. She was in the book. And in other movie versions she is 17 or around that age. Didn't I see the dvd extra stuff where the director said they were fortunate to get 'younger' actors as to portray the actors in the right age? I mean Emmy was only 16 when the movie was filmed, a little perverted her kissing 30 something, yet very sexy men. I also thought the main reasons for Sarah getting the part was that she was a soprano and married to ALW.

Conor Profile Photo
Conor
#24re: Who do you prefer Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum singing the songs from
Posted: 9/8/05 at 11:45pm

well yeah taht was the reason she got it, i mean it was written for her, and she probably wouldn't have ever gotten it otherwise, but still i'll always consider it her part and am a huge fan oh her. She's really had such an interesting career, and have loved listening to her experiment with different kinds of music, I know a lot of people dislike her but I think she's great and a true artist.

Videos