pixeltracker

SIDES: The Fear is Real -- Limited run in LA!!

SIDES: The Fear is Real -- Limited run in LA!!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#0SIDES: The Fear is Real -- Limited run in LA!!
Posted: 9/16/05 at 12:32am

Edit 9.2.06 --

The entire original cast of this fantastically funny show will be heading out to LA for a limited run. The show is not identical to the Culture Project production, which many people on this board saw -- and it will also feature a returning original cast member who was unable to participate in said production -- but it promises to be just as great as it was in New York. Read through this thread to see how much several posters on the board, myself included enjoyed this show.

West Coasters, this is not to be missed!

Previews will be September 15th and 16th, opening night is September 20th, and it will run through October 1st.

For more information, see http://www.mrmiyagi.com/ and http://www.eastwestplayers.org -- I hope many of you are able to go see this, and that you love it as much as I did. If any of you go, please post about it!

Edit -- see my 9/26 post about Anthony's upcoming cameo.

This play is absolutely hysterical. Honestly, my face was sore from laughing so hard. I saw it tonight, and laughed my ass off.

For those unfamiliar, SIDES features a group of Asian American actors, and it's a series of comedic sketches portraying the audition process - and surely every actor has had a bad audition, or a strange audition experience. But even if you're not an actor, there's something in the play to which you can relate - the group of actors is a group of misfits, in a way. They're stark portrayals of stereotypes, which probably makes the play all the more a laughing-fest. In the first sketch, we see all sorts of actors - the nervous, awkward type, the Julliard-trained braggart of an Equity Actor, the over-actor, the one who screws up absolutely everything (and then falls flat on his face - quite literally), etc, etc, etc. We see stereotypical casting directors, one who even comes with a flamingly effeminate assistant.

The costumes and set are simple - the actors wear regular clothing, with a few changes as they change up their roles, and the set is created to look like an audition room - some chairs, a table, a mirror, etc - and it's all very easily movable for different various purposes.

The writing, as stated, is comedic excellence. It's just full of side-splitting humor. But you get the jokes because you feel for these characters; the team of actors hold utmost responsibilty for making the material just as enjoyable as it is. They mix their great physical comedy skills with their delivery of the writing, and continue to multiply the laughs over and over and over again - the phyiscal aspect of the characters is so important, because of the many different characters each actor portrays. For example, the highlight of the group, Rodney To (yes, RENT fans - Anthony's Rodney) - who is FANTASTICALLY talented, by the way - plays a stuck-up Julliard grad, a slightly psychotic, abrasive playwright, and the dance audition leader for a hip-hop musical version of Medea, amongst other things that I won't spoil. Anyway, with such huge differences in the types of characters, his physical comedic acting chops are important, and they shine. One of the actors slips and falls during his audition, a scene that hauls on for a bit with the actor simply laying flat on the floor after a big production of a fall - brilliant.

The play is fast moving, with not a dull moment. It's short and sweet, at under an hour and a half. The cast members all click perfectly with one another, whether in pairs, small groups, or as a whole small ensemble, and well deserve the award they won for ensemble performance (I know I read that somewhere).

At the end of the performance, one of the actors said that if the audience liked what they saw, they should tell their friends - he said that they're a very small show, and rely on word-of-mouth. The audience was laughing out loud almost constantly, and seemed to absolutely love the show, but it's clearly a bit under the radar, as the house wasn't really very full. So, on that note, I urge anyone who can to get down and see it - they run for five more weeks, and it'll be worth every penny!

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 9/2/06 at 12:32 AM

Alix7272 Profile Photo
Alix7272
#1re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/16/05 at 1:17am

It sounds like a lot of fun. O, to live in the city.

No Child: http://www.epictheatrectr.org/
I Love You Because OCR: http://www.psclassics.com/cd_iloveyou.html

forgetregret
#2re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/16/05 at 1:32am

That sounds entertaining. Where's it playing?

And as a sidenote, Emcee, you are a really, really great writer. You should take over for Ben Brantley or something...

luvtheEmcee
#3re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/16/05 at 1:34am

aw, thank you! That wouldn't be too shabby a deal.

It's playing at 45 Bleecker Street, in the Village.

JACXR71 Profile Photo
JACXR71
#4re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/16/05 at 2:38am

So glad you enjoyed it! The cast is incredibly strong - no weak link and they all play so well off each other. I can literally imagine them sitting around a table laughing their asses off as they thought this stuff up (which is more or less what they did...can you imagine how much fun they had putting this together?) And the fact that the 'sides' are all real makes it that much more hilarious (and their performances that much more genuine). I really hope it continues to do well - from what I understand it's gotten nothing but great reviews ever since its days at the Fringe from all different types of media (NYTimes, WSJ, all the theater papers/websites). Best of luck to Mr. Miyagi!

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?
Updated On: 9/16/05 at 02:38 AM

Allie
#5re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/16/05 at 8:23am

Yay! Wonderful job, Emcee. It sounds like a great show, and I wish I could go see it.

luvtheEmcee
#6re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/16/05 at 9:07am

I hope so, too, JACX. It's funnier to think that the stuff in there is *real*. Those poor actors! I can't decide what my favorite part is, but every time I think about any of it, I just start cracking up! re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#7re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/16/05 at 10:07am

luvtheEmcee's avatar:)

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

twogaab2
#8re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/16/05 at 10:18am

Like to chime in that I LOVED this show. Very, very funny-cast was hyserical. Get down there and see this (Just south of the Public theater.)

TWOGAAB "A Class Act" will never die!

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#9re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/16/05 at 11:35am

THREAD JACK!

I love the new Raul pic Em!

END THREAD JACK!

luvtheEmcee
#10re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/16/05 at 7:43pm

Thank you!!

(BUMP!)

I was flipping through the playbill-esque thingy today, and read the character descriptions. *laughs*

Updated On: 9/16/05 at 07:43 PM

insomniak
#11re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/16/05 at 7:55pm

I'd see it if I could, Emcee!

And I think you've fufilled your word-of-mouth request.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#12re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/16/05 at 8:06pm

Emcee, I've been waiting for this all day, thanks. I first heard about this show about a month ago and now that it's feasible, I'm definitely seeing it.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

luvtheEmcee
#13re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/16/05 at 8:07pm

hooray! The first I heard of it was when you posted that article, but now I want to see it again!

beacon1
#14re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/16/05 at 9:55pm

Excellent review, Emcee...

I can't wait to read what you'll right about "Barefoot in the Park."

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Patrick Wilson Fans --New "UnOfficial Fan Site". Come check us out!

Patrick Wilson Yahoo Group

Patrick Wilson Facebook Fan Page

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#15re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/16/05 at 10:08pm

This show sounds right up my alley
Someone go see it for me re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#16re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/16/05 at 10:55pm

I loved it. I saw it two weeks ago. I also loved the girl who sang a song from the Lion King.
It was funny.
Updated On: 9/16/05 at 10:55 PM

luvtheEmcee
#17re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/16/05 at 10:56pm

I LOVED the Circle of Life sketch! Loved it!

Which guy are you talking about, though?

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#18re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/16/05 at 10:59pm

The head guy. He wrote the play. His face kills me.
Such terror.

luvtheEmcee
#19re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/17/05 at 9:44am

Shameless bump.

*nod*

homosezwhat Profile Photo
homosezwhat
#20re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/22/05 at 12:47am

I saw the 10pm show on Saturday 9/17 and thought the cast was damn near perfect. I laughed my g-damned head off. I kept thinking that any and all of the actors would fit in perfectly on SNL or MadTV, but I'd really rather see them get their own show.

The physical comedy was IMPECCABLE! The Shakespearean SPIT-talking, the Final Fantasy girl really killed me(HUH? OH! Giggle...).

The stripper's audition with the mimed cigarette burn that comes out of nowhere!
The hip-hop Medea and the red ribbons!
The really well-done choreography!
The set! Same designer as swimming in the Shallows and Orange Flower Water (this guy rocks!)

The guy in ripped BVD's! (not gonna say where in the show cause it might be a spoiler...)

The best show ever? maybe not.
One of the best ensembles I've seen this year? certainly.
If I had time, I'd see it again.
Now, I'll shut up.
(wasn't gonna write anything but i saw a picture of a couple of the guys on someone's profile and it made me laugh all over again.)

luvtheEmcee
#21re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/22/05 at 12:48am

<----

I didn't know the set designer also did Swimming in the Shallows (I should've known, silly me). I loved the Swimming... set.

Updated On: 9/22/05 at 12:48 AM

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#22re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/22/05 at 12:54am

Got my ticket yesterday. Did you know tickets at 10pm shows are all $25? My seat is in the exact center of row C and even with added taxes, it came out less than my cell phone bill for this month.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 9/22/05 at 12:54 AM

luvtheEmcee
#23re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/22/05 at 1:00am

That makes the later hour a tad more enticing. I want to see it again.

homosezwhat Profile Photo
homosezwhat
#24re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review
Posted: 9/22/05 at 10:24am

I just got "Oh, shoot. I broke the chair."

I laughed so much I nearly wet myself.
But, the woman behind me was practically hysterical.

Why can't they have "Off-Broadway on Off-Broadway"?
I think the cast should do free previews, a couple of scenes, all over the damn place.
Like heroin, if people get a free sample, they'll be hooked.