pixeltracker

South Pacific revival - overdue?

South Pacific revival - overdue?

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#0South Pacific revival - overdue?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 8:26pm

I think it's about time South Pacific got a revival. It's arguably the second best (first being Carousel) of their catalogue, and it hasn't got a big-time revival for a while. Plus, I think Sutton has Nellie written all over her.

I also think Robert Cuccioli or Brian Stokes Mitchell would make a terrific Emille (sp?), Gavin Creel would be a dandy Lt. Cable, and Ann Harada would be a terrific Bloody Mary (as crazy typecasting that is).

any thoughts?
Updated On: 10/5/05 at 08:26 PM

neocomposer Profile Photo
neocomposer
#1re: South Pacific revival - overdue?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 8:36pm

Its definitley a wonderful, WONDERFUL R&H musical! I would love to see it revived. However, I might cast Erin Dilly in the role. She has actually played Nellie. Sutton would be good too, though. Ironically, Erin Dilly had the role of Millie before Sutton

"That Sondheim kid has a big future."-Nathan Lane
Updated On: 10/5/05 at 08:36 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2re: South Pacific revival - overdue?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 8:45pm

this has been discussed before, several times, but yes it is way overdue for a revival. twenty years would have been sufficient fifty it too long. I'd like to see a mounting of the 2001 RNT production. I enjoy that CD very much. seems to be a vast improvement over the original with the new opening and the new song... Updated On: 10/5/05 at 08:45 PM

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#3re: South Pacific revival - overdue?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 8:46pm

No. LOL pleeeeease no.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#4re: South Pacific revival - overdue?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 8:48pm

I personally wold go crazy to hear Sutton sing Honey Bun.

Hairspraydoll Profile Photo
Hairspraydoll
#5re: South Pacific revival - overdue?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 8:50pm

It was supposed to be revived a few years back, but something happened. I don't remember what, but Robert Goulet was supposed to be Emile. Anyone know the info?

Be the change you want in the world....

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#6re: South Pacific revival - overdue?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 8:51pm

nope. Updated On: 10/5/05 at 08:51 PM

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#7re: South Pacific revival - overdue?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 9:01pm

Robert Goulet toured in it a few years ago. I don't know if that production ever had plans for Broadway.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#8re: South Pacific revival - overdue?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 11:29pm

I'd see it. I would. It's has some really beautiful music. It's a classic.

~Steven

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#9re: South Pacific revival - overdue?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 11:43pm

I had a bad experience with this show in HS - I thought it was the most overrated, boring show. I'm willing to give it a second chance, though - so yet - I revival is definitely necessary.

But not just a fluff revival (SWEET CHARITY, LA CAGE.) We need a realistic, dark, breathtaking revival (NINE, CABARET, SWEENEY TODD, FIDDLER) to really make it worth it.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

WickedRose Profile Photo
WickedRose
#10re: South Pacific revival - overdue?
Posted: 10/6/05 at 1:47am

Reba McEntire is i believe a part of a remake they are doing to air on PBS later this year...should be good, she's the best.

"Why can't you just teach us history, instead of always harping on the past"~ Galinda "Who takes shoes from a dead person?!" ~ Elphaba "And what have you been doing-other than riding around on that filthy old thing?"~Glinda "Well, we can't all come and go by bubble."~Elphaba

rockfenris2005
#11re: South Pacific revival - overdue?
Posted: 10/6/05 at 2:03am

Yes, it's insane they haven't brought this one back.

Wish they would do a re-mounting (City Encores? Off-Broadway?) of Allegro as well

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

Urban
#12re: South Pacific revival - overdue?
Posted: 10/6/05 at 3:20am

I cannot think of a more tedious show to revive.

rockfenris2005
#13re: South Pacific revival - overdue?
Posted: 10/6/05 at 3:59am

Ah, there are many many. Trust me

And I think Sound of Music is way too over-rated: and definitely the worst thing Rodgers and Hammerstein ever did IMO

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

glenwj Profile Photo
glenwj
#14re: South Pacific revival - overdue?
Posted: 10/6/05 at 5:20am

I am not so sure South pacific is right for a revival. Great songs but not such a great show.
It was revived her in Australia quite a few years back with the woman who sang Belle in the animated Beauty And The Beast. It had stunning scenic design ( a plane taking off out did the helicopter from Miss saigon by a million miles) but the show was a clunker. Great score not so great show.....at least not for this day and age.

Drought Down Under.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#15re: South Pacific revival - overdue?
Posted: 10/6/05 at 6:00am

Sutton Foster is so wrong for Nellie that I don't even know where to begin. The only two names that I can think of for Nellie are Lauren Kennedy (who was perfection in the 2001 London revival) or Julia Murney.

For Emile, I'd say Brian Stokes Mitchell or (in a few years) Marc Kudisch.

Videos