Proud Member of Actor's Equity

Gothampc
#0Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/21/05 at 11:07pm

This is in the bio of almost every actor in "In My Life". What's up with that? Is it a comment on non-equity tours?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#1re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/21/05 at 11:09pm

Ask JRB.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#2re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/21/05 at 11:10pm

It's like when a rapper thanks God at a music awards show... it's just something you do.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#3re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/21/05 at 11:11pm

Equity has asked actors to include this in their bio if they choose to do so as a reminder.

Bdwy24
#4re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/21/05 at 11:33pm

Why would it be common on NON-Eq tours? JRB is right. Equity has asked if you would like to add in your bio that you are a proud member of Equity. In hopes to make the Union/Non-Union status more open to the general public.

Jon
#5re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/21/05 at 11:38pm

Goth said it was a "comment", not "common".

BSoBW2
#6re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/21/05 at 11:39pm

Because the LEADS have nothing else to say...

Gothampc
#7re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/21/05 at 11:43pm

"Because the LEADS have nothing else to say..."

That was my thought. When someone is new to the business and they don't have many credits, they put a lot of filler in their bio. It's like they've been assigned 400 words, and by gum they're going to use all 400.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

#8re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/21/05 at 11:53pm

Like JRB said, in the Equity Newsletter that gets mailed out (amongst other places), they ask to show your support by adding that. I remember the first time I saw it, it was in and/or near an article on non-union tours/shows.
-DT

Jazzysuite82
#9re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/22/05 at 1:39am

Just another actor here adding to the validity of JRB's response. It's an Equity request. Believe me actors don't put it in because there's nothing to say. And 400 words for a bio!!! I wish!
Updated On: 10/22/05 at 01:39 AM

snookyookums
#10re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/22/05 at 2:10am

Yeah, it's 40 words for ensemble, and believe me, it's not just "filler" to say you're an equity member. Equity has suggested it - in fact they suggest it at their informational cast meeting during the first rehearsal for a show - and many actors feel it is important to show support for the union, and to make audiences aware that when they are seeing a Bway show, they are seeing members of a professional union up there. Members of a union that get pay, benefits, and protection accordingly. As opposed to a non-Eq tour, where actors can be, possibly, shabbily treated and poorly paid, and producers charge Bway prices and pocket the difference. Do audiences give a crap? Very possibly not, but that's the theory behind the whole thing. ...That's basically it. :)

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#11re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/22/05 at 7:51am

I was wondering about this, too. I have seen it more and more recently. In the playbill for Dedication, Miriam Shor wrote, "Pro-union and proud of it!"

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#12re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/22/05 at 10:48am

It's great if you have the room. Unfortunately, some people just don't have the room. If they made it in addition to, well, that's another story!

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#13re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/22/05 at 10:58am

First of all, the only reason to put this in any bio is if a show has both union and non-union members in it.

It's a union requirement (...or at least it was for me a few years ago) to state that I was a member of Actors' Equity appearing in a "waiver" or "showcase" production. A lot of times, I've seen it indicated by an asterisk next to a performer's name, with a footnote somewhere saying "Member of Actors' Equity Association."

If you're on Broadway, or appearing in a union production anywhere in the U.S., there will always be a blurb in the program stating that the performers in the show are union members. In that case, it's not necessary or required that union members add in anything to their bios.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#14re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/22/05 at 11:20am

Heh, the other day I was on Equity's website looking for something, and they have a list of "suggested" ways of thanking them in your bio.

Sorry, but I think it looks really tacky. I mean, you're on Broadway, everyone in the show is Equity, so why does third chorus boy from the left have to make a big deal about it? You rarely if ever see it in the leads' bios.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#15re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/22/05 at 11:30am

When you're new to the union, you read through all their guidelines and suggestions. It's fresh in a performer's mind. Some of them are glad to get their first union gig, and they just want to honor it.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

I didn't do it myself when I joined, but I don't think it's "crowing" if someone does. The only time a union member MUST state he's union is in a mixed show (union and non-union). If you don't see it written somewhere there, it's a violation. Although that's usually up to the producers and not the actors to make sure it's in the program.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#16re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/22/05 at 12:30pm

Well, orange skittles, you and most of this board ARE educated about the fact that Bway and Off Bway, etc. are all Equity, but much of the masses do not.

And, the masses read the bios more likely than they read the fairly small printed sentence stating that all actors are in Equity.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#17re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/22/05 at 12:37pm

Yeah, I've been seeing this a lot lately in people's bios on Broadway. I wouldn't normally have a problem with it, but it's kind of redundant. I mean, duh, it's a Broadway show--anybody who knows about Equity probably knows that EVERYBODY in the show is a member.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#18re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/22/05 at 12:39pm

Baritone, doesn't what you just said prove the point I made in my last post? It's about educating people.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#19re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/22/05 at 12:42pm

Jerby and others are right that actors are "encouraged" to do this by the union. Being in Equity is a "good thing" (thank you, Martha), and not a snobby elitist group.

I think if this is bothering you, it actually says more about YOU than it does about the actors that included it in their bios.

michelle4
#20re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/22/05 at 4:23pm

Why is it tacky? Is it any tackier then giving a list of your roles and accomplishments in shows? Most of us worked extremely hard to get our cards. I see nothing wrong with being proud of THAT accomplishment and being supportive of our union.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#21re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/22/05 at 5:52pm

Thank you michelle4!

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#22re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/22/05 at 7:03pm

jrb--

actually, the problem I have with it is that for those who DON'T know about Equity, they aren't being "educated" properly. I think it's great that actors want to show their support for Equity, but that it would be better to say something like "Many thanks to Actor's Equity" rather than "Proud Member of Actors Equity" because the absence of the latter in other people's bios might give some the impression that they weren't members of Equity simply because they didn't have it in there. So, basically, for those who don't know about Equity the statement is misleading, and for those who do, it's redundant. But once again I will say that I think it's great that actors want to show support for their union--I just think that a different phrase should be used.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#23re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/22/05 at 8:06pm

The Distinctive Baritone ---

This is the wording our union suggests we use. Perhaps you should take it up with them.

EDIT: You sound confused about what the bios are there for. They are a list of biographical credits and accomplishments for a given performer. Not a list of special thank-you's and acknowledgements, like in the back of a book or at an awards show. We wouldn't be "thanking the union" for anything here.

Updated On: 10/22/05 at 08:06 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#24re: Proud Member of Actor's Equity
Posted: 10/23/05 at 10:56pm

I'm surprised no one's linked this yet...

The success of the recent 2004 Production Contract negotiations has focused the spotlight on the enormous contributions Actors make to the American theater. Across the country, audiences are becoming more aware of Actors' Equity Association and what membership in our Union means to the theater as a whole and the high quality of artistry and professionalism that Equity members bring to every production. With that in mind, we ask you add to your program/souvenir book bios that you are an Equity member. Here are some suggestions:

AEA member
Equity member
Equity member since Xx
Member of Actors' Equity
Proud member of Actors' Equity
Proud member of Equity

http://www.actorsequity.org/TheatreNews/04_9_30_AddAEA.html

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Videos