Color Purple on Oprah

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#25re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/11/05 at 8:22pm

For some reason my DVR taped this episode...weird because I never really watch Oprah...anyway...I just watched it, and yeah, I really need to see this now.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#26re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/11/05 at 8:25pm

mmm... okay. I thought "Hell No" was super campy. "The Color Purple" was all right, I guess, but I hated the 'amen' thing at the end... terrible ending for a song like that... it sort of just leaves you hanging...

Blue J
#27re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/11/05 at 8:46pm

If you go to Oprah's site, you can watch the 2 performances...Besides "Hell No" and "The Color Purple", they also have "Push Da Button" on Oprah's site.

The Color Purple on Oprah Updated On: 11/11/05 at 08:46 PM

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#28re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/11/05 at 8:48pm

AMAZING! I knew this show would be a wonderful piece with others!

JoMarch Profile Photo
JoMarch
#29re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/11/05 at 10:13pm

I wasn't crazy about Hello No either. Color Purple was nice.

ellenoshalom Profile Photo
ellenoshalom
#30re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/11/05 at 10:32pm

O my to the "hell no" song. Wow. This has to be a must see play. To all of you who have seen it yet ...you are so blessed.

TabooWickedFan Profile Photo
TabooWickedFan
#31re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/11/05 at 10:41pm

The Color Purple was breathtaking. it made me cry, as did it make alot of people cry. I definitely want to see this show now, it looks outstanding.

"But I relish every brillant inspired moment. This is who I'm determined to be- an actor/singer/dancer-no, I take that back, this is who I am. These people are my tribe, my destiny. I know it. -How I Paid for College; A story of sex, theft, friendship and musical theater.

xrent_headx Profile Photo
xrent_headx
#32re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/11/05 at 10:44pm

i thought it was amazing. now i must go back to New York and add this musical to my big list of things to see.

- I might be smart - No day but today

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#33re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/11/05 at 10:59pm

I missed the "Oprah after the show" on Oxygen... did they perform another song on that??? damn...

Blue J
#34re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/11/05 at 11:05pm

They probably performed "Push Da Button" since that is shown on Oprah's website.

#35re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/11/05 at 11:10pm

Man, I wish I had recorded this on my Broadway VHS. I'm bummed out about that, but thank goodness for Oprah's website! I saw the end of Oprah's show, when the credits came up... and I was so mad! Oh well, at least you can see it!

--Jkor

#36re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/11/05 at 11:36pm

Can someone save these so that i can save it to my computer. It never plays any of the videos completely through for me. If someone can figure out how to save them and then watch them, that would be wonderful.

BwayTheatre11
#37re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/12/05 at 12:11am

Wonderful performances!

CCM '10!

kangaroo Profile Photo
kangaroo
#38re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/12/05 at 12:17am

I understand hearing the campiness.
I only really liked the title song... but I'm interested to see it. Not meaning to be racist at all, but I wish I could sing like the folks in this show! I could never sing like they are doing every night! I think they are amazing!

NIL MAGNUM NISI BONUM "No greatness without goodness."

RENThead, enLIGHist, Ozalot, Grobanite, Ringer, Pickwick LW, Wicked, Lost, American Dreams, West Wing
Lea S. Hugh J. Adam P. Idina M. Matt M. Taye D.

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#39re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/12/05 at 12:52am

Both songs for me were just kind of blah, but they both were performed very well, I suppose. I'm still quite excited to see this show...and yes the campiness was very evident.

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier

Urban
#40re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/12/05 at 1:56am

I am just reminded why I hate Oprah audiences. I mean they are just a trained bunch of monkeys who applaud everytime a celebrity farts.

Saying that, I think Oprah is getting a Tony next year. It was quiet a couple of powerful performances. Wasn't awfully impressed by "Hell No".

I think this will easily be the next "Ragtime".

RentBoy86
#41re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/12/05 at 2:03am

I really liked "Hell no." I don't know much, if any, about the film or the book, but I thought the performances were really powerful. And the fact that they showed the "famous speech" Oprah gives from the movie and then showing "Hell No" where they use that speech, it was sort of cool. And I know it must have been moving to watch it. It looks great. I didn't it campy at all. I mean it def. seemed "musical" - if that makes sense, but not "campy."

aegeusrocks Profile Photo
aegeusrocks
#42re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/12/05 at 2:05am

How do you mean, Urban? To what extent, and what way would it be like Ragtime?

RentBoy86
#43re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/12/05 at 2:08am

PS - Oprah's new set is cool

Urban
#44re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/12/05 at 3:24am

aegeusrocks - I mean big cast musical based on a mega popular book and movie set in the early 20th century. We actually havn't had that many big budget-big cast historical musicals for a while now. Sometimes I think it is just fun to let oneself go and get lost in such a production.

rockfenris2005
#45re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/12/05 at 3:33am

It all depends really. I'd say that about Cats, but I also love Sunday in the Park. It's an interesting point

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

WickedScoundrel Profile Photo
WickedScoundrel
#46re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/12/05 at 3:44am

Oh wow just watched the videos online. Amazing -- I'm a bit awestruck.

Proud fangirl of Greg Jbara.

#47re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/12/05 at 9:56am

Hell No was amazing. Color Purple was awesome. Did you see them cutting to Beyonce watching, what the hell was that? Oprah in that first segment made it sound like if she hadnt been in the movie, no one would have went.

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#48re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/12/05 at 10:06am

omg that was awesome and yes i am bawling right...there is something about this story because when i read the book and particularly when i saw the movie i also bawled my eyes out. La Chanze sounds incredible and i loved Hell No and Push da Button. I can't wait to see this and i wish it the best of luck. Oprah is amazing and wouldn't back anything less than awesome

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

Jon
#49re: Color Purple on Oprah
Posted: 11/12/05 at 12:52pm

I hope the actual theatre audiences aren't like Oprah's studio audience - bursting into applause in the middle of a song because the singer modulates into a new key and belts out a really loud note. It was like watching American Idol.