pixeltracker

Possibly silly question about RENT movie

Possibly silly question about RENT movie

ThetaSigma99
#0Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/24/05 at 11:01am

I just saw the RENT movie last night, and have a question that's been bugging me, even if it may be a silly question. In all the outdoor scenes, since it was meant to be the middle of winter, you can see everyone's breath when they sing. Does anyone know how this was achieved? Did they just make the cast act on a reeeeally cold set, or did they use some sort of CGI to add the breath later? My apologies if this has already been answered, but I searched and couldn't find an answer. Thanks! :)

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#1re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/24/05 at 11:01am

Some of that is real because they were in New York City. But it can be digitally added.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

timote316
#2re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/24/05 at 11:02am

I think it was CGI. Nice touch, but at times it just looked foolish.

LyTeMyCanDyI Profile Photo
LyTeMyCanDyI
#3re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/24/05 at 11:03am

The scenes were filmed in March. I might be wrong, but we had a rather chill March.
There were, however, some parts where it looked a little fake, so I dunno.

Megan Mullally as Karen Walker on Will and Grace: "Tell me more. Tell me more. Like does he have a car?"

luvtheEmcee
#4re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/24/05 at 11:06am

Yes. They shot in New York in March and it was VERY cold.

lukeboy25 Profile Photo
lukeboy25
#5re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/24/05 at 11:26am

I'm pretty sure it was CGI...no matter how cold it was steam like that is really hard for the camera to pick up. Yea, sometimes it was just silly. During I Should Tell You they sould have phased it out or something....that was actually the only thing that bugged me about the movie, I loved it.

I always try to save a couple of the marshmallows till the very end but I never make it. I always end up with a bunch of flake things and pink milk...my mind wanders. - Garden State

N0tThatGirl213 Profile Photo
N0tThatGirl213
#6re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/24/05 at 11:32am

The fake snow in ISTY bothered me. It just looked totally fake in Rosario's hair. But I loved that scene overall.

"A little humility wouldn't hurt." --Ellie, Constantine-Hellblazer, "Dangerous Habits"

luvtheEmcee
#7re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/24/05 at 11:38am

Me too! It didn't melt! It's like... foam. I had that stuff all over my coat and in my purse for DAYS.

N0tThatGirl213 Profile Photo
N0tThatGirl213
#8re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/24/05 at 11:39am

Haha! We used it in a show a while ago...it got spread all over the school.

But yeah...in ISTY I was sitting there going "her hair's turning white...oh look...now they must've cut, because it's gone...oh look...it's back!"

"A little humility wouldn't hurt." --Ellie, Constantine-Hellblazer, "Dangerous Habits"

NJgirl
#9re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/24/05 at 11:45am

glad im not the only one who was totally bugged by the fakeness of the winter's breathe...it bugged me bc you could so tell it was fake in a bunch of spots...

the fake snow didnt bother me as much...bc at least when they went back into the life cafe following ISTY...the snow seemed wet in their hair and more realistic.

kas Profile Photo
kas
#10re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/24/05 at 12:17pm

the fake snow was pretty bad.

greenegirl87
#11re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/24/05 at 12:18pm

I too was bothered by the snow!!!! Even when they came back inside they weren't at all wet!!!

"But now the air is filled with confusion. We replace care with illusion."

Madame X2 Profile Photo
Madame X2
#12re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/24/05 at 12:21pm

And there was like a column of snow that they would walk into in ISTY. It was lightly snowing everywhere else but then there was this section of heavy snow! Weird.

jstabwaybabi Profile Photo
jstabwaybabi
#13re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/24/05 at 3:29pm

fake snow is just so...fake.
but never the less for what they had to work with...two thumbs up!
happy thanksgiving!

i trust my soul...my only goal is just to be.

Parks
#14re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/24/05 at 3:32pm

haha, I thought about the snow ALL throughout that song.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#15re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/24/05 at 4:29pm

Did anyone else think some of the flames in the "Rent" number looked CGI as well?

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

sadiem100 Profile Photo
sadiem100
#16re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/24/05 at 5:49pm

Hmm... I didn't realize the flames. The snow was obviously fake, but I did like the breath during the outdoor scenes.

"Electricity sparks inside of me... and I'm free, I'm free."

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#17re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/24/05 at 6:09pm

Most of the visible breath effects were real. They CGI'd in a few places to match - of course.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

BroadwayBaby315
#18re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/24/05 at 7:01pm

The breath was effective in ICY but gradually got excessive obnoxious.

I am not Tony winner Dan Fogler.

iheartcheyenne123 Profile Photo
iheartcheyenne123
#19re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/24/05 at 7:35pm

i agree...you can barely notice it..in my opinion i think it looks normal..not over the top

--Alex-- "They're singing, "Happy Birthday" You just wanna lay down and cry Not just another birthday, it's 30/90 Why can't you stay 29 Hell, you still feel like you're 22 Turn 30 in 1990 Bang! You're dead, what can you do?" --TTB

SweetQintheLights
#20re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/24/05 at 11:38pm

In my mind I knew the snow was fake but I don't really think I payed much attention to it.
However, the breath thing bothered me. It was overdone- a lot.

It was like they were smoking; thats how much it looked that was coming out of their mouths. I think with their jackets and the basic atmosphere that we knew it was cold. I don't think the seeing of people's breaths were absolute necessary.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

Madame X Profile Photo
Madame X
#21re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/25/05 at 12:27am

I love how they CGI the coldness, but leave the Metlife Building there (it should've been the Pan Am building). Awful/glaring miss by everyone involved...

"Some of us have it worse, you know, Dana. Some of us are dating lesbian men. Okay? C'mon."

#22re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/25/05 at 1:57am

roger was wet when he came back in. you can see where he wipes the snow that his shoulders are clearly wet.

dmb_rent
#23re: Possibly silly question about RENT movie
Posted: 11/25/05 at 2:41am

I really don't see how the breath was annoying for anyone, because I've read that from a few people already. I thought it was a nice touch, and didn't look fake to me. It just added to that cold weather feel, I dunno.

"I would rather take a flawed movie that has as much heart and passion and life and joy and energy and truth in it as this film does over any film that is completely perfectly presented and perfectly constructed but has none of that heart and life." -Anthony Rapp

Videos