Karmine Alers

lovepuppy
#0Karmine Alers
Posted: 12/23/05 at 2:15pm

She just performed on the "Tony Danza Show." They said she's back in the show...wasn't Antonique originally her understudy? But now that Karmine is back as Mimi, what happened to Antonique? Seems a short run for the latter as Mimi, then.

"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." "I dare say you haven't had the practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." --Alice in Wonderland

Kevo711 Profile Photo
Kevo711
#1re: Karmine Alers
Posted: 12/23/05 at 2:26pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Karmine is a Swing...

lovepuppy
#2re: Karmine Alers
Posted: 12/23/05 at 2:32pm

I was reading an article dated from earlier this month that called her "Mimi," with no mention of Antonique. Just checking. Thanks.

"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." "I dare say you haven't had the practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." --Alice in Wonderland

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#3re: Karmine Alers
Posted: 12/23/05 at 2:45pm

They probably called her "Mimi" because she's played the role before. Or maybe the writer simply didn't go out and check his facts. Karmine was relegated to SWING status since October when Antonique returned to the role.

If you ask me with as much talent as Karmine has she should just leave RENT. I mean to go from playing the female lead back to SWING? She's been in the show FOREVER. I mean I think maybe she should start branching out and doing other things.

But then again maybe that steady paycheck from RENT keeps her happy regardless of what role she's playing.

And before anyone flames me here I'm not slamming Karmine Alers. I am a fan of hers.

lovepuppy
#4re: Karmine Alers
Posted: 12/23/05 at 2:57pm

Interesting, thanks. I don't live in NY and haven't seen the show since about 5 years ago or so, so didn't know her history. She did have a gorgeous voice and presence, though. So if you are a swing does that basically mean you're in the ensemble for the show every night until they need you as understudy?

Toon
#5re: Karmine Alers
Posted: 12/23/05 at 3:01pm

I mean to go from playing the female lead back to SWING? She's been in the show FOREVER. I mean I think maybe she should start branching out and doing other things.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe swings make more than leads in a lot of cases, so she could be getting more pay and getting to play different roles. Maybe she likes having variety - and on some days she gets paid for doing nothing more than showing up. Not to mention chances are good she could be back on as full time Mimi at some point. It is a show very close to her heart and perhaps she's happy there. It is also easy to say someone should leave and branch out. Refer to the book "Making it on Broadway" and see why I'll never ever ever ever have that thought about any performer again.

lovepuppy
#6re: Karmine Alers
Posted: 12/23/05 at 3:21pm

Thanks Toon. I wonder if she ever understudied as a swing for Joanne...or wonder about other understudies in the show stepping into roles who they don't match ethnically. Or do they pretty much stick to the original casting?

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#7re: Karmine Alers
Posted: 12/23/05 at 4:13pm

Antonique is still Mimi. Karmine is a swing. She got to go on as Maureen yesterday, actually. I wonder how that went.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

ChristineDaae Profile Photo
ChristineDaae
#8re: Karmine Alers
Posted: 12/23/05 at 4:38pm

Karmine is swing...she just went on as Maureen the other night.

"Life will be frozen peaches and cream. Baby, dream Your Dream" ~ SC

lovepuppy
#9re: Karmine Alers
Posted: 12/23/05 at 4:41pm

That's cool that they picked an understudy to go on national TV and sing a Xmas song (Equity Fights AIDS charity CD I think), instead of one of the leads. But I guess since she's been in the show so long they honored her with the appearance.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#10re: Karmine Alers
Posted: 12/23/05 at 4:47pm

I believe they recorded the Carols for a Cure CD while she was still Mimi.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

DefyingPopular
#11re: Karmine Alers
Posted: 12/23/05 at 5:19pm

i actually saw her as Maureen a few years ago, she was good in the role, but she shines as Mimi. The Tony Danza show here is a day behind, maybe we'll get it monday *sighs*

thetheatrekook Profile Photo
thetheatrekook
#12re: Karmine Alers
Posted: 12/24/05 at 1:27am

she was on as Maureen tonight. and completely AMAZING.

and i wouldn't say that her coming back as a swing is a demotion in any way. i mean yes, she has to work her ass off to learn more tracks, but swings get paid a lotttt, plus, i would LOVE to get paid to sit around and do essentially nothing when they don't go on (this is me assuming that they get paid even if they're not on that day...anyone know for sure how that goes?)

www.kickfornick.com

KarmineFan Profile Photo
KarmineFan
#13Vote for Karmine
Posted: 1/24/06 at 11:52pm

Hey Everyone,

Great News, Karmine is on this week's (Jan.24th ..103) I-tunes Podcast: "NEXT BIG HIT" With her song "It Matters To Me"
go to: http://www.nextbighit.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=157&forum_id=2

You can download / stream or subscribe to the podcast in I-Tunes.
We could really use your help to get her voted onto the ..1 position on the nextbighit.com website.

Please check it out and spread the word to your friends.

We really appriciate it and once again, thanks for the support!
Karmine on Myspace

#14Vote for Karmine
Posted: 1/25/06 at 12:53pm

I acutally saw her at The Barn (MI) in Aida, as of course Aida, and she was completley fantastic, great voice, strong actress, and seems like a well rounded perfomer and kind person. I wish her the best of success, and happiness, and im with whoever said "if shes happy there, the n who cares?"

lovinlife Profile Photo
lovinlife
#15Vote for Karmine
Posted: 1/25/06 at 3:31pm

Yes, she did a concert at XL where she did an amazing rendition of "easy as life". Has her CD come out yet?

"All I want is the truth, just give me some truth!"- J. Lennon

backalleybaby Profile Photo
backalleybaby
#16Karmine & Will
Posted: 1/25/06 at 7:01pm

Did Karmine ever play Mimi when Will Chase was Roger (either during his run this winter or his previous one)??

"GAIN!" "GAIN!" "GAIN!" "gain."

anne3
#17Karmine & Will
Posted: 1/25/06 at 7:28pm

Her cd came out this past summer.

And I do not believe she was with the cast during Will's first run in 1998. During this run she has been an understudy. Will's first week Antonique was sick and missed 6 of the 9 shows. So Karmine played Mimi those 6 times. Hope that helps.

lady godiva Profile Photo
lady godiva
#18Karmine & Will
Posted: 1/25/06 at 7:39pm

as far as swings going on as roles that they are not ethnically matched for... karmine on an occasion or two has allegedly gone on as the squeegeeman and either gordon or steve (i forget which) when they were low on swings.

my life is brilliant. my love is pure.

Benzy92 Profile Photo
Benzy92
#19Karmine & Will
Posted: 1/25/06 at 7:41pm

i saw karmine and will 2x recently in dec. and it was UNREAL.

sognatora Profile Photo
sognatora
#20Karmine & Will
Posted: 1/25/06 at 7:48pm

i noticed that karmine was listed as a swing when i saw rent on saturday (will chase as roger and antoinique as mimi). I've seen Karmine as both Mimi (i think twice) and Maureen, and I must say that I prefer her Mimi to her Maureen by a longshot. Also, while Antoinique is an awesome actress (and had great chemistry with will) I think Karmine is overall better at Mimi...it's interesting that she's a swing. But the money thing that was mentioned could definately be a factor (i didn't realize that)

Sorry for my overuse of parentheses, lol!

inishmore Profile Photo
inishmore
#21Karmine & Will
Posted: 1/25/06 at 8:11pm

backalleybaby: I saw Karmine as Mimi with Will in Dec. I thought she was AMAZING and they had incredible chemistry! The two of them gave such strong performances.

Time rushes by, memories fade, dreams never do

kelleymd
#23Karmine & Will
Posted: 1/30/06 at 6:17am

I saw Karmine in December as Maureen and thought she was excellent. I also saw her as Mimi in May and thought she was even better in that role. I did not really go for Antonique in the Mimi role, but the night I saw her the entire cast was off and the whole show was very flat. There was no chemistry between Mimi and Roger (who was just awful, bless his heart). Karmine is such a great dancer and the role of Mimi really showcases her much more so than Maureen. I am a big fan!

FabalaYero85
#24Karmine & Will
Posted: 1/30/06 at 7:09am

I've seen Karmine with Cary I dont know how many times...they are my favorite pair. LOVE them. GO run don't walk to airgomusic.com and buy Karmine's music video download for "It Matters to Me" its pure sex and its gorgeous and oh my. If you were at Karmine's album party, just the atmosphere during the video was just amazing.

I've had the pleasure of seeing her with Kobak and Jay too...but to me nothing could compare to the Shields until Will. DAMN I saw her with him once and it was gasmic. That made me get over the Shields pretty fast haha.

Seeing her as Mark's mom was the greatest night of my life. I've never laughed so hard during La Vie Boheme. thats all that can be said. just why I love Matt and Karmine so very much haha.

hmm...

WickedRentHead
#25Karmine & Will
Posted: 1/30/06 at 2:36pm

I saw Karmine and Will together on 12/31 and although Karmine was sick-ish she and Will were still pretty good together. He is a very angry Roger and watching them do Goodbye Love was kind of reminiscent of Jeremy Kushnier. They were good together though

Videos