News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Songs for a New World

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#0Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/25/05 at 6:49pm

If there was a new production of this show, who whould you want to see play Man 1, Man 2, Woman 1 and Woman 2?

This show needs a revival (and not just a one-night engagement) soon.

Sutton Foster would be an AMAZING Woman 2, and Kelli O'hara would be a great Woman 1.

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish
Updated On: 12/25/05 at 06:49 PM

darkmist115 Profile Photo
darkmist115
#1re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/25/05 at 7:29pm

definitely man 1.

and i agree.
i didn't even know this show existed till a few months ago, and it's awesome.
JRB at his finest.

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#2re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/25/05 at 7:49pm

LOL

I have to edit my message. I didn't mean who YOU would want to play, I ment who would you want to SEE play. lol

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

darkmist115
#3re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/25/05 at 7:53pm

OH! haha, i thought they were two different messages, not related.

well. who says i'm not the next broadway star!?re: Songs for a New World

As for who I'd want to see, how about Julia Murney as woman 1, Heather Headley as woman 2, Michael Arden as man 1, and. hmm.. Will Swenson as man 2?

As far as I'm concerned, Julia and Michael can play any part and be fabulous; Heather strikes me as very woman 2; and I saw Will as an u/s in BKLYN, and he was pretty good. Suits his range. And I'm pretty sure he hasn't done anything since, so it'd be cool to see him in something new.

but of course, if they want a REALLY fresh/new/young cast, i'm always aroundre: Songs for a New World

Jazzysuite82
#4re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/25/05 at 8:04pm

Not that it can't be done, but there is a fundamental flaw with having a white guy play Man 1. King of the World can be done and get by, but how does one do Steam Train? It's obviously written for a black guy.

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#5re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/25/05 at 8:17pm

Yeah--besides it gives his songs purpose. His songs are related to racist and stereotypical issues.

darkmist115
#6re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/25/05 at 8:28pm

ahh! haha, sorry. 'steamtrain' is one of the few songs that I do not know from SFANW.

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#7re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/25/05 at 8:31pm

we will forgive you, for it is in the chrismas spirit.lol

theatreboi11
#8re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/25/05 at 9:40pm

I love the songs in this musical! It is one of my favorite recordings!

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#9re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/26/05 at 8:46am

Julia Murney
Emily Skinner
Michael Arden
Keith Byron Kirk (I know he's a little old, but I really think he'd be great)

darkmist115
#10re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/26/05 at 9:23am

nicely done, melissa errico fan!
that one works even better. byron kirk would be AWESOME

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#11re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/26/05 at 9:28am

I know! I can only imagine what his "King of the World" would be like---It'd take all the strength in my body not to faint! re: Songs for a New World

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#12re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/26/05 at 1:32pm

Sutton Foster, Audra McDonald, Michael Arden... and I'm blanking on a fourth. Anyone?

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#13re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/26/05 at 1:42pm

Is Norm Lewis too old?

Jazzysuite82
#14re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/26/05 at 1:51pm

Norm Lewis can't sing this track it's waaaaaay too high.

thez914 Profile Photo
thez914
#15re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/26/05 at 2:01pm

Billy Porter!!!

"Art is always in crisis: you must work fast to write in the breath on the window." -Edward Bond

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#16re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/26/05 at 2:10pm

Norm Lewis

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#17re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/26/05 at 8:40pm

Does anyone else hate Jessica Molaskey's rendition of "Stars and the Moon" on the cast recording? Her speaking bits are over-the-top and irritating. She's fine (great, even) on the rest of the recording, I don't know why she hits such a sour note with this song. I've heard much better recordings from other performers.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

SMiller
#18re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/28/05 at 12:38am

This is one of my favorite albums and "I'm Not Afraid of Anything" I think, is the best song.

Is the show being done professionally anywhere?

SMiller

Ebonic_Singer
#19re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/28/05 at 12:48am

Well, BlueWizard, since Molaskey's version, the song has become VERY popular. It is one thing to make something your own when originating a role, but it is another thing to have a recording to take and manipulate and make it your own. I think Molaskey is flawless and wonderful.

And as for Man 2, I would not want anyone else to do it than Ty Taylor. I have heard Billy Porter do it and still prefer Taylor's rendition. He has never performed it live since to my knowledge and I am DYING to hear him do it! I have, however, heard Darius Dehaas perform King of the World and the amazingness that he possessed was sheer INSANITY. So if I had to choose someone besides Ty Taylor, he would definately be my pick. The end.

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#20re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/28/05 at 12:56am

Wow...Well done. Quite articulate!

Ebonic_Singer
#21re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/28/05 at 12:58am

Um, yeah. Duh.

Che2be Profile Photo
Che2be
#22re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/28/05 at 1:00am

Woman 1: Sherie Rene Scott or Eden Espinosa

Woman 2: Patti Lupone ( Cause -I would KILL to hear Patti sing FLAGMAKER!)

Man 1: Darius DaHaas (He sang KING OF THE WORLD for the Symphony Space concert and was OUT OF CONTROL AMAZING!)

Man 2: Nobert Leo Butz (Let's face it, he would be amazing!)

Updated On: 12/28/05 at 01:00 AM

amasis Profile Photo
amasis
#23re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/28/05 at 1:04am

King of the World is my favorite song on that album. I love Ty Taylor's version. But if I had to pick a person to do it, between him, Billy Porter, and Darius DeHaas, I'd have to pick Darius DeHaas. It's a tough call, though.

Basically, I'm with Che. But I'd go with Sherie over Eden, any day.
Updated On: 12/28/05 at 01:04 AM

Che2be Profile Photo
Che2be
#24re: Songs for a New World
Posted: 12/28/05 at 1:09am

i agree with you amasis.. but i would still be interested in hearing Eden sing some of those songs... that's about it..

Videos