pixeltracker

Jersey Boys Review (1/4 - with Understudy for John Lloyd Young)

Jersey Boys Review (1/4 - with Understudy for John Lloyd Young)

JoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
#0Jersey Boys Review (1/4 - with Understudy for John Lloyd Young)
Posted: 1/5/06 at 4:47pm

*.*.*. JERSEY BOYS .*.*.*
- January 4th, 8 PM

This is a lengthy review, so skip to the parts you care about if you don't want to read it all.

So my friends and I arrived at the August Wilson Theatre a little bit after 3:00 to get student rush for the 8:00 show. We waited out in the cold for an hour and a half to get the tickets, but I think the wait was well worth it. The tickets were in Row W, but since the August Wilson is so small, the seats were still very reasonable for 26.25. We just missed some of the top portions of the projections (Which weren't essential to the show anyway)

I have to say that I was severely disappointed when I saw that John Lloyd Young was absent from the matinee that afternoon (and would most likely not be there at the evening performance that I was seeing). I heard such great things about his performance and that was one of the driving forces that had convinced me to see the show. Nonetheless, I was excited to see a musical about the Four Seasons.

*.*.*. THE SHOW .*.*.*
The show itself was simply wonderful. My friend and I loved Lennon when we saw it over the summer, but we both agreed that this show, as a 'jukebox' type musical, was a hundred times better. Lennon had great performers, but Jersey Boys not only has the performers - but the music and story to push it over the edge to become a fantastic night at the theatre.

*.*.*. THE STORY .*.*.*
I had very little knowledge about the Four Seasons as far as biographies go - I only knew of their more famous songs and that's about it. The show does a great job of presenting the story to the audience while keeping it entertaining. By having each of the Jersey Boys give their takes on certain events in their career, the audience gets to see different points of view from each man. The story keeps you on your seat the entire time wanting more, and it delivers full force throughout the show. Not once did I become disinterested or bored. I know this must be true, because I had a tall man in front of me who's head blocked most of center stage. If the show was boring, I wouldn't have made the effort to see - - but since the show was so intriguing, I forgot that I had to keep looking past either sides of his head.

*.*.*. THE BOOK .*.*.*
My friend and I, who are both performers and generally more critical than most theatre-goers, both agreed that the book was fantastic, and the story really captured New Jersey (we are both Jersey natives). From the witty language and amazing use of the F-word, it often reminded me of the Sopranos with their hilarious banter and Italian egos. So often the books of musicals can lacks depth or creativity, but I felt Jersey Boys did a great job of keeping the story flowing with humorous and touching dialogue. Also, I felt the last monologues of the show with the four guys was an excellent way to end. We saw all of their lovable personalities one last time and you sort of feel a lump in your heart knowing that some of these amazing men are no longer with us.

*.*.*. SET .*.*.*
The set was also very intricate and worked well in presenting the story. The backdrop of New Jersey was dead on, and seeing that reminded me that New Jersey really does look like a bunch of telephone wires, water towers, and highways. Also, I loved the concert performances. Especially towards the end of Act I, where the boys have their backs turned to the audience and the backwall is lighted with flashing bulbs to simulate a concert in which the audience is watching from behind the group. Loved the lighting and everything worked so well!

*.*.*. THE MUSIC .*.*.*
Next, the music. I only knew all of their famous hits, so many of the songs in this show were unfamiliar to me - but no less incredible. The Four Seasons (mostly Bob Gaudio) really had a taste for catchy songs that are well written and performed. The songs sounded just like the originals, and each of the performers thankfully had very 'old pop' voices. I was pleased that there were no obnoxious NSYNC wannabe performers that would be riffing the songs to death. I'm also a sucker for that old rock/pop sound with all those awesome harmonies.

I also enjoyed the fact that the songs were used as typical musical theatre songs. Characters were just bursting into a Four Seasons song that had to do with sadness because there was a depressing moment. The songs were presented more as mini flashbacks and segways between scenes as well as being an integral part of telling the Jersey Boys' story. The only regret was that some of the songs had to be cut short so we couldn't hear the full versions!

I also need to mention the great group dancing. I loved how they had the syncronized movements - and all the guys were great movers! Especially during "Big Girls Don't Cry".

Now...

*.*.*. THE PERFORMANCES! .*.*.*

***Christian Hoff as Tommy DeVito: I thought Christian was one of the best parts of this show. His tough-guy performance as Tommy, the troubled creator of the band, carried a lot of the show's humorous parts with ease and made him a favorite of mine.

***J. Robert Spencer as Nick Massi: He was my friend's favorite guy in the band. He handled his serious scenes of distress over the possible disbanding of the group like a pro and I loved his dance moves with Christian Hoff during the performances. Very slick and entertaining.

***Daniel Reichard as Bob Gaudio: I thought Daniel did a fantastic job in this show. I especially loved his vocals in "Oh What A Night" and his performance during the scene with the strippers. He gave a performance that I think is definitely worth seeing.

***Michael Longoria as Frankie Valli: Michael went on for John Lloyd Young that evening, and I was disappointed that I couldn't see the original, but I was willing to watch another version of Frankie Valli. At first I was not sure of Michael because he seemed nervous to my friend and I (we later talked about how we both thought that), but as the show progressed Michael seemed to loosen up and really get into the character. His friends must have been in the back because after each of his songs was a burst of applaud and screaming from the Standing Room folks. I thought it was great that they came out to support him! Anyways, Michael really grew on me as the show went and his falsetto performance as front man Frankie Valli was phenomenal! He sounded JUST like Frankie and I thought he had such a grasp on the character for someone who does not get to perform every night as Frankie. Looking back after the show, I realized that he also did an amazing job in transforming and allowing Frankie to grow from adolescent to father throughout the show. During the last number, I felt so proud of Michael, as if he were my kid or something, but it is never easy to go on as an understudy, and in that final song I just wanted to jump up and cheer for him. He won me over!

So. Overall, the show is one of the best shows of the season. I could not stop tapping my feet and bouncing me knees. I looked at my friend at one point and she had a huge grin on her face just like I did. One of the best parts of the show was in Act I when they do a montage of their most famous songs. People were clapping as songs started and clapping along with the beat during certain performances. I had heard that the show had gotten standing ovations in the middle of the show before, and I seriously thought that would happen last night (at a WEDNESDAY nigh show!!!) The audience would clap for what seemed like 5 minutes and cheer. The two women in the row in front of us looked like they were having a blast, mouthing the words and moving their bodies to the songs. They seemed to absolutely adore it - - and the energy of that audience was unlike any other show I've been to. Everyone seemed SO supportive and full of joy after each incredible song that it was almost overwhelming. It was a fantastic evening that I won't soon forget - - and I recommendit to each and every person who loves theatre!

*.*.*. TONY NOMS? .*.*.*

I feel like Jersey Boys will be nominated for Best Musical, maybe Best Book. John Lloyd Young will most likely be nominated - I didn't see him, but I could tell that the part, if done as well as Michael Longoria did it, could get him a Tony Award. I hope Jersey Boys does well and has a healthy run. I think I'm going to go back but this time with my parents!
Updated On: 1/5/06 at 04:47 PM

PJ
#1re: Jersey Boys Review (1/4 - with Understudy for John Lloyd Young)
Posted: 1/5/06 at 4:49pm

Glad to see you enjoyed the show. I believe John is being encouraged by the powers that be to take a show off here and there due to the vocal demands. A man singing in his falsetto for almost two and a half hours can be quite taxing.

kate2
#2re: Jersey Boys Review (1/4 - with Understudy for John Lloyd Young)
Posted: 1/5/06 at 5:04pm

I'm really glad you like it!

LesMizazz Profile Photo
LesMizazz
#3re: Jersey Boys Review (1/4 - with Understudy for John Lloyd Young)
Posted: 1/5/06 at 5:18pm

I am so jealous you got to see Michael as Frankie!!! He is such an amazing singer and I really hope to get to see him as Frankie oneday!

"And suddenly I'm flying flying like a bird, like electricity, electricity, sparks inside of me, and I'm free, I'm free" -Billy Elliot

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#4re: Jersey Boys Review (1/4 - with Understudy for John Lloyd Young)
Posted: 1/5/06 at 5:28pm

When I went Thanksgiving weekend, John Lloyd Young was out and I was hoping that Michael Longoria would be on in his place, but we saw Dominic Nolfi instead.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 1/5/06 at 05:28 PM

bwayondabrain
#5re: Jersey Boys Review (1/4 - with Understudy for John Lloyd Young)
Posted: 1/5/06 at 6:04pm

when does john lloyd young leave? i need to see this show in july! the cd is fantastic, and that review really made this show seem worthwhile to see!!!!
"oh what a night!" it must have been :)
sorry, had to say that :P

PJ
#6re: Jersey Boys Review (1/4 - with Understudy for John Lloyd Young)
Posted: 1/5/06 at 6:11pm

I don't see him leaving anytime soon.

bwayondabrain
#7re: Jersey Boys Review (1/4 - with Understudy for John Lloyd Young)
Posted: 1/5/06 at 6:16pm

oh cool
and if he wins a tony he'll prob extend, so i have no fears :)

Legibus
#8re: Jersey Boys Review (1/4 - with Understudy for John Lloyd Young)
Posted: 1/5/06 at 6:19pm

Word is that all four principle actors (those playing the original Four Seasons; Bob Gaudio. Tommy deVito. Nick Massi and Frankie Valli) are signed to one year cotracts.

From many comments I have read here, there are two understudies for the Frankie Valli role, Dominic Nolfi and Michael Longoria, both of whom are reported to be terrific!

I saw the show twice with John Lloyd Young (and he is wonderful in the role), but apparently the show is still great when he does not perform.

So don't worry, with or without John Lloyd Young, you will have a great time when you do get to see Jersey Boys.

JoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
#9re: Jersey Boys Review (1/4 - with Understudy for John Lloyd Young)
Posted: 1/5/06 at 10:11pm

I'd like to go back to see John perform.

suzycat Profile Photo
suzycat
#10re: Jersey Boys Review (1/4 - with Understudy for John Lloyd Young)
Posted: 1/5/06 at 10:22pm

I was at the matinee that day - John Lloyd Young did the first act, but Dominic Nolfi took over the role for the second. I talked to him after and apparently John is a bit sick and has been doing press for the show during the day in addition to 8 shows a week - I can imagine with the vocal demands of the role that he needs to rest every once and a while. During the first act you could tell that something was a bit off with his voice.

Dominic was great considering that he had about 10 minutes to get ready to go on (he's a swing)... and he's cute and very friendly too!

rebels Profile Photo
rebels
#11re: Jersey Boys Review (1/4 - with Understudy for John Lloyd Young)
Posted: 1/6/06 at 12:27am

Wow! Thanks for such a fabulous Jersey Boys review! I'm so glad you & your friend had such a great time!! After seeing the show back in November, I'm dyin' to come back to New York to see it again--so I just got tickets for July!!

Also thanks for the scoop on Michael Longoria. I've checked out his website & thought he had a great voice! I'm glad he did so well playing Frankie!

Jersey Boys Blog: www.jerseyboysblog.com

itstheM Profile Photo
itstheM
#12re: Jersey Boys Review (1/4 - with Understudy for John Lloyd Young)
Posted: 1/6/06 at 1:03am

I love John, he made the show for me. Could he have been saving himself for the Today Show performance in the morning?? Oh, and all 4 of the guys are contracted for a year, I asked at the stage door.

Baby, dream your dream Close your eyes and try it!

wickedfan2 Profile Photo
wickedfan2
#13re: Jersey Boys Review (1/4 - with Understudy for John Lloyd Young)
Posted: 1/6/06 at 8:18am

Thanks for writing that review. I enjoyed reading it and I also enjoyed the show when I saw it last month. Am trying to go again soon.

TheOneAndOnly
dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#15re: Jersey Boys Review (1/4 - with Understudy for John Lloyd Young)
Posted: 1/6/06 at 12:12pm

Especially towards the end of Act I, where the boys have their backs turned to the audience and the backwall is lighted with flashing bulbs to simulate a concert in which the audience is watching from behind the group. Loved the lighting and everything worked so well!

I LOVED the effect that had. It looked wonderful.

And, sorry you missed John. He's really wonderful. i'm sure michael was great, though. I saw him as "Joey" and he was HILARIOUS.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#16re: Jersey Boys Review (1/4 - with Understudy for John Lloyd Young)
Posted: 1/6/06 at 12:16pm

I saw it last night...Mr. Lloyd Young must have decided to just take the night off to be mr. perky this morning on air. Leaving this theatre-goer seeing a mediocre understudy with no charisma or energy whatsoever! I have seen Lloyd Young's clips elsewhere, and was thrilled to finally get to see "Jersey Boys". It is not THAT "AMAZING" of a show. If John is that great in the role - he must elevate the entire show to another level because the show I saw last night was ANYTHING but Amazing. Another mediocre Juke-Box musical where the characters talk at the audience instead of an well thought script. After having listened to the CD all week long, I must say I was very dissapointed. A full review will be posted later today...

Videos